Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
Sep 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #346 of 437
Maxx, care to share more of your thoughts on the Ed12 in comparison to your HE-560? I have been eyeing the 560 but want a dynamic can. I'm not a fan of orthos' close, up-front presentation.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #347 of 437
The he560 is not a usual ortho presentation in fact it is very nice large soundstage but not as large as the hd800.

This ed12 soundstage is slightly larger than my modded he560,
which in turn is larger than stock...

So ed12 comes very close to hd800 soundstage while giving you that solid bass that neither the other two give(!)..
I am hoping the ed12 subbass will be more prominent to compete with the he560 subbass.

As for mids, the ed12 are more lively like the hd800.
The hd800 is more of everything from mids up, except on bass.
On my setup the hd800 has the most bass I ever herd from them, which is both impressive and surprising, but still not enough to compete with the two others.

None of these cans are bassy, they are all very effortless reference quality sounding cans.
You simply can't go wrong with any of these three...
They are fabulous!..

So far here is my order of preference:
HD800
Ed12
He560

The ed12 is really catching up and may supercede the hd800 in preference because of the overall sound(!).

So far the he560 has nicest bass mainly because of subbass feel at times but something about the ed12 is just more revealing and lures you in and I can't put my finger on it yet.
It could be that s logic they claim to have.

I have to burn in more, while the other two are at their maximum potential, being both moded.

If you get either the hd800 or he560 then it is obligatory to perform mods for it to reach best sound or it will not sound as good.
The hd800 will be lean & bright and a bit treble diffused.
The he560 will be smaller soundstage and less bass.

The ed12 there is no headache of modding, and they are not affected by outside space like holding hands close to cups while listening, and they are just beautiful..

I would consider this can Ultrasone best attempt yet for perfection.

On Amazon it was for about $1,250 which is similar priced to the hd800.
Still, The he560 is the best value but so far these ed12 are sounding superior overall. .

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #348 of 437
Thanks! Shoot, I really want to try these. I had high hopes for the Ed10 but the price and reviews of bad/quirky sound put me off.

There was a new pair of Ed12 on eBay that I was bidding on that just sold for only $711! I could have bid more aggressively but I shouldn't be buying any headphones right now. But the low auction price was too nice to resist. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #349 of 437

I read once that the wooden box and the wooded stand of the ED 10 have higher production cost than the headphone itself. The ED 12 is lessons learned and comes in a very cheap package instead. But you never listen to the package, right?

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #350 of 437
Thanks! Shoot, I really want to try these. I had high hopes for the Ed10 but the price and reviews of bad/quirky sound put me off.

There was a new pair of Ed12 on eBay that I was bidding on that just sold for only $711! I could have bid more aggressively but I shouldn't be buying any headphones right now. But the low auction price was too nice to resist. 

Dam I have to keep an eye on ebay.
I remember there was an esw10 for sale also so cheap it was shocking at buy now for around $350 it sold in like 10 minutes lol.
By the time I PMed a friend that wanted it, it was sold!
Although I still think the best deals are always on amazon. .

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #351 of 437
Ok more impressions at around 50hr mark..

Compared to the hd800 larger and in your face yet clear sound. ..

The ed12 seem to be more refined like a T1 in soundstage(!)..
Not as loud shouting at you or as large in height(hd800),
but more of an expansive and holographic soundstage. ..

Music perspective is one of an observer,
While the hd800 perspective (mine is partially anax moded) is like you are thrown in front of the music and stepped/trampled on by it!
lol.

Any shiny trebles gone but the bass has not loosened up..
Seems just neutral and solid yet not lacking yet not excessive. .

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #352 of 437
popcorn.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #353 of 437
Ok more impressions at around 50hr mark..

Compared to the hd800 larger and in your face yet clear sound. ..

The ed12 seem to be more refined like a T1 in soundstage(!)..
Not as loud shouting at you or as large in height(hd800),
but more of an expansive and holographic soundstage. ..

Music perspective is one of an observer,
While the hd800 perspective (mine is partially anax moded) is like you are thrown in front of the music and stepped/trampled on by it!
lol.

Any shiny trebles gone but the bass has not loosened up..
Seems just neutral and solid yet not lacking yet not excessive. .

HD800 hits you in the face like a happy ton of bricks! Being thrown in front of the music? What you talkin' about, Willis? (they have the biggest soundstage ever!).  Being surrounded by the music would be more like it.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #355 of 437
Is the edition 12 easy to drive? Recommended amps?

I haven't checked but someone else has may chime in..

HD800 hits you in the face like a happy ton of bricks! Being thrown in front of the music? What you talkin' about, Willis? (they have the biggest soundstage ever!).  Being surrounded by the music would be more like it.

The hd800 soundstage is great for classical and acoustical and jazz but with modern top 40 it turns into a lion and devours you in a huge enveloping soundstage that seems to trample you because it is both large and close and far all at same time..
Lol

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #356 of 437
With the ed12 you are a witness & observer, like an angel or butterfly hovering in the midst of the music.
Thus the butterfly design. .
:p

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #357 of 437
Is the edition 12 easy to drive? Recommended amps?

Yes, I've been having issues finding amps with enough play in the volume control. Some advice on good low power amps would be welcome, I suspect a Graham Slee would be good if you like their sound.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #358 of 437

Look what I found on a Japanese website:

The Edition 12 Gold......

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #359 of 437

Quote:

Look what I found on a Japanese website:

The Edition 12 Gold......

WOW. I must have these. Gold plated drivers AND cups gold plated? Dang. That's another level of class. I wonder if Ultrasone themselves will ever do the service themselves at a hefty upcharge. 

EDIT: upon further research, these gold ED12s actually belong to Ultrasone and were unveiled at their new performance series display apparently: 

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #360 of 437
Maybe ultrasone was thinking the ed12 voicing was the golden ticket to restore customer faith :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back