Ultrasone Edition 12 announced in Japan
Aug 19, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #316 of 437

Sorry, but I'm a bit skeptical of Ultrasone...I'd make sure you listen first. I've previously owned the Ed8 and the $300 NAD HP-50s are considerably better sounding headphones. Then there's Tyll's most excellent Ed. 10 review. 
wink.gif

You know he even gave beats a second chance, so why not the ED 12 or the Signatures. He once quoted that at least the Sig Pro is not totally bad....

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #317 of 437
@pietcux: I heard the ed12 briefly  10 month ago: it's definitely worth a serious listen :wink: . very refined headphone, very airy, extremely light & comfortable. I still hope to have one on loan in order to review it properly.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #318 of 437
@pietcux
: I heard the ed12 briefly  10 month ago: it's definitely worth a serious listen :wink: . very refined headphone, very airy, extremely light & comfortable. I still hope to have one on loan in order to review it properly.

Hi Sorrodje, even though I am in Germany, I have not seen any Ultrasone in a shop. I am planning on rearranging my selection though. Could see me selling lots of my stuff around Christmas and then shooting for the ED 12.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #319 of 437
Hi Sorrodje, even though I am in Germany, I have not seen any Ultrasone in a shop. I am planning on rearranging my selection though. Could see me selling lots of my stuff around Christmas and then shooting for the ED 12.

Thomann.de is the best option in this case. Good return policy for such a risky buy :) . But IMO this headphone worthes it . I hope to try it without having to buy it myself.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #321 of 437
  If someone is interesting in buying them. I'm selling a new Ed. 12 here in the sale thread.

Oh mein Gott......

I would be interested, but I have my vacation trip starting on saturday...... you have the perfect offer @ the wrong time of the year for me.... I will check back on this issue in 2 or thee month....
(just trying tho bring the price down....
ph34r.gif
)

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #322 of 437
Speaking of perfect timing, I finally got some amplifiers in for test so that I can think about fleshing out a full review of the Edition 12s. Right now I have a RL Herus and Bakoon HPA-01. The later of which showed up today. I'm going to need some time to burn-in/brain burn-in the Bakoon before I can comment on that. The Herus is a great match sound-signature wise but has a severe lack of bass. I don't think anyone expected that to be an ideal pairing but I do feel comfortable speculating the US and RL house sounds are compatible with one another if you were to get a higher end DAC/amp.

For updates sake I will also say that the pads have already worn out, and that US replaced them immediately without any complaint. Seriously, the shipping label was created within the hour. That one may be on me as I don't usually let my hair dry in the mornings before I pop on my headphones.

Aug 20, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #323 of 437
Did you contact the German HQ?

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #324 of 437
I actually can't recall, but it was their American office that responded to me. Anyway I will note that the Bakoon/US pairing is good but I'm not sure it would be one I'd recommend highly. I prefer the voltage output, though it somewhat depends on the choice of music.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #325 of 437
Hi all,
I know this is an Ed12 thread but I have to defend the Ed10 a little.

When I bought them they did sound terrible.  I can fully see why Tyll responded the way he did.  They were that bad.This sound 'imbalance' improved over the first 100 hours but was still v bad. I let others hear them at a meet but was confident that they would turn into the most burnt in pair in the world - those hanging up in Harrods London with music playing every day for a couple of years.

After about 600 hours of use, my pair are now fantastic.

Make sure you are patient withe the Ed12 as they may take on the same profile of burn in.

I have no reason to get rid of my Ed10, but then I haven't heard the 12's yet!!

And BTW, the Hugo drives my Ed9 & 10 with ease.  I expect it will pair with the 12's just as well.

Regards

Sceptre

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #326 of 437

L3000.gif
. Finally. After one year of waiting I can seriously listen to this mysterious edition 12 .  Complete impressions & review to come
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #327 of 437
  Yesterday I heared the Ed. 12 against T1 and HD800. I'm wondering that here are only little discussions for in my opinion the best Ultrasone I ever heared and one of the greatest headphone! The tonality is the best of the three. It is soft, detail and never harsh. Like the LCD-3 but more detail. The soundstage is very very large on level with the HD800. The bass has great impact and reach very low. The mids are sweet and remember me a bit of an Audeze. All in all the headphone is neutral without bloating bass or lifted highs. No comparision to an Ed. 8 which for my ears sounds very unnatural and metallic. The winner of the three is without a question the Ed. 12 for me. I never have believed that sometimes Ultrasone creates such a worldclass headphone! Wow, when I save the money I will buy them. Beside with my LCD-3 a great set of cans.

All I can hear right now is crickets chirping in the background!

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #328 of 437

Sorry, but I'm a bit skeptical of Ultrasone...I'd make sure you listen first. I've previously owned the Ed8 and the $300 NAD HP-50s are considerably better sounding headphones. Then there's Tyll's most excellent Ed. 10 review. 
wink.gif

Yeah...listen to them long and hard...mine are currently gathering dust in the closet.  These are my least favorite phones in my stable.  Sometimes they sound bright; other times they sound tinny; then other times they sound veiled and muddy...I can't, for the life of my, understand these headphones...and yet, other times they sound sublime.  Most frustrating.  Yes, they are light as a feather and very comfortable, but...very uneven in my opinion.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #329 of 437
Given the variance in recording quality & mastering characteristics coming out of the music industry, the majority of which is still atrocious regardless of format or resolution, it's not a surprise that headphones will sound different one day (and perhaps more accurately, one album) to the next.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #330 of 437
  Given the variance in recording quality & mastering characteristics coming out of the music industry, the majority of which is still atrocious regardless of format or resolution, it's not a surprise that headphones will sound different one day (and perhaps more accurately, one album) to the next.

Not so with my other headphones! These Ultrasones are Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, and then some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back