Ultrasone anygood to replace surround system ?
Dec 12, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mathieu660

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Posts
14
Likes
0
First of all i'm really not a pro more a noob in audio setup so I wanted to know your advice about those two companies. I was looking for a well built,durable and nice sounding headphones. So I looked at those choice and i found those 2 that i found pretty cool.

The HDJ-2000 is quite new and it seems very well built (magnesium) it also have a smale XLR connector so easy to replace the cable. (Very useful to have different cable lengths and change broken one).


Although, i found the Ultrasone DJ1 PRO and Ultrasone 550 pretty cool too. I love the S- Logic 3D thing innovation.

I want to replace my speakers so i will use them with my Mp3 player, my computer and my TV because i will move at a place were i will not be able to use my speakers. So i will listen to movies and music with them.

I choose mainly DJ headphones because they are good with bass response and Hip-Hop,Pop music. Also i'm searching to a solution that will replace my 5.1 speakers systems.

Thanks

HDJ-2000: New Flagship Professional DJ Headphones - Pioneer Europe

HDJ-2000-2.jpg
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 18

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
4,670
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would be able to replace surround sound with a headphone system. Not yet atleast..


Beyer headzone?
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 18

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Posts
8,547
Likes
83
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer headzone?


With head tracking, only 2,600 on amazon..I could get the Yammy Z7, Pioneers 45lb Blu Ray player or the 010's. But might be worth it..
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 18

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Posts
1,002
Likes
75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu660 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all i'm really not a pro more a noob in audio setup so I wanted to know your advice about those two companies. I was looking for a well built,durable and nice sounding headphones. So I looked at those choice and i found those 2 that i found pretty cool.

The HDJ-2000 is quite new and it seems very well built (magnesium) it also have a smale XLR connector so easy to replace the cable. (Very useful to have different cable lengths and change broken one).


Although, i found the Ultrasone DJ1 PRO and Ultrasone 550 pretty cool too. I love the S- Logic 3D thing innovation.

I want to replace my speakers so i will use them with my Mp3 player, my computer and my TV because i will move at a place were i will not be able to use my speakers. So i will listen to movies and music with them.

I choose mainly DJ headphones because they are good with bass response and Hip-Hop,Pop music. Also i'm searching to a solution that will replace my 5.1 speakers systems.

Thanks

HDJ-2000: New Flagship Professional DJ Headphones - Pioneer Europe

HDJ-2000-2.jpg



You said you like the "S-Logic 3D thing". Is your liking of this technology because of what you've read or heard about it or have you actually experienced it?
I ask this because some are able to hear the S-Logic "surround effect" and some can't (the reason why this is so is uncertain).
The S-Logic effect is not true surround sound (even though when I listen to the Pro 750, quite often the S-Logic "surround effect" sounds remarkably similar to the sound rendered by my surround sound speaker system. In actuality, the S-Logic surround effect is an audio illusion. It is, none the less, to those who are capable of hearing it, very entertaining and fascinating to hear.
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 18
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,245
Likes
10,498
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
The same effect of S-Logic can be created by placing headphones as far forward and down on your head as possible, so the drivers point towards your earlobes. This causes the sound to bounce around your ear, creating much the same effect.
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 18

Randolph Duke

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Posts
122
Likes
11
IMO- I would describe the ultrasone as a open sound- not surround.
You might want to try the pioneer wireless system. The headphones are a bit bulky but they are very comfortable. The sound is amazing.
It sounds so live- I sometimes have to take them off to double check that the speakers are not blasting.
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 18

Mathieu660

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Posts
14
Likes
0
Thanks for your advices.

Like many of you said there is no really 5,1 surround headphones for the moment but wich option could reproduce the surround sound the most effectively ? Does any of you tried the HDJ-2000 ?

I never tried S-logic system but i read some reviews about it. I know that the way you place your headphones can have a big impact on this systeme. I don't think i will ever able to try them without buying them because i live in a littel city in Canada so there is no headphones specialist over here.
 
Dec 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 18

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Posts
1,002
Likes
75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same effect of S-Logic can be created by placing headphones as far forward and down on your head as possible, so the drivers point towards your earlobes. This causes the sound to bounce around your ear, creating much the same effect.


I've read this absolute nonsense before and have tried it. I completely disagree because the sound of non-Ultrasone headphones placed as far forward and down on the head as possible definitely sounds nothing like the S-Logic effect which is much better sounding with a "surround effect" that is not present in the proposed non-Ultrasone headphone placement theory you wrote about.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO- I would describe the ultrasone as a open sound- not surround.
You might want to try the pioneer wireless system. The headphones are a bit bulky but they are very comfortable. The sound is amazing.
It sounds so live- I sometimes have to take them off to double check that the speakers are not blasting.



I agree and disagree with you Randolph. I agree that the Pro 750 (as one example) has an "open" sound especially considering that it is actually a "closed" headphone. I disagree with your opinion that it does not sound like surround sound. To some degree, it varies with the recording, but most of the time, I hear what sounds to me like surround sound. As I've written before, I know that it is an audio illusion and not true surround sound. But, sometimes it is amazing how similar the various points of sound are when listening to the Pro 750 compared to those same points of sound (on the same recording) when played through my surround sound speaker system.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 18

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Posts
2,187
Likes
11
If you will stick around you will find Ultrasone headphones cause a lot of controversy around here. I would either buy them used so you can resell them or try to get to a meet so you can hear them yourself.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 18

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Posts
1,002
Likes
75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu660 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tanks for you reply Peter Pinna
wink.gif



Your welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you will stick around you will find Ultrasone headphones cause a lot of controversy around here. I would either buy them used so you can resell them or try to get to a meet so you can hear them yourself.


Yes, I agree that the OP should hear all headphones (including Ultrasones) for himself before purchasing. This is the reason in one of my posts I asked if he or she has ever heard Ultrasones.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 18
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,245
Likes
10,498
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read this absolute nonsense before and have tried it. I completely disagree because the sound of non-Ultrasone headphones placed as far forward and down on the head as possible definitely sounds nothing like the S-Logic effect which is much better sounding with a "surround effect" that is not present in the proposed non-Ultrasone headphone placement theory you wrote about.


I'll be getting a pair in a couple of days, so I'll confirm for sure.
 
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 18

padam

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Posts
1,664
Likes
194
Location
Central Europe
Beyerdynamic DT 880 is one of the best for these purposes, but it needs an amp as well. I have no problems using Dolby Headphone (with the PowerDVD8 codec) with any file that contains AC3 or DTS audio (I couldn't get it to work on 5.1 AAC yet). It probably isn't as effective as the Headzone but it is way cheaper and simpler than that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top