Ultrasone 900 - beginner seeks counsel!
Nov 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tarquin1234

Head-Fier
I really just wanted to know any thoughts on the following, for which I would be very grateful:

Music: piano will be the majority of music I listen to, with some orchestral.

Usage: Almost entirely at the digital piano and listening to computer music files, with very occasional portable usage. Because of occasional portable use and ambient noise at the digital piano I decided on a closed headphone.

"Sonic taste": I am attracted to the powerful and detailed bass reportedly delivered by Ultra 900s, but am too inexperienced in audiophilia to have developed tastes relevant to most of the more detailed attributes used to differentiate between different HPs.

I have come to the conclusion that Ultrasone Pro 900s will be the best for piano which is my priority. This will be my first pair of high quality headphones, and my reasoning for this pair is that it probably represents the best Ultrasone for my needs based on what I have read. Therefore if I use these headphones for an extended period and find I don't like them, I will look to a different manufacturer based on the characteristics I don't like etc, but if I do like them I can be sure I have the best and won't need to sell + upgrade.

When I have used them post burn-in and have made conclusions I will consider which amp and DAC to buy for my computer and occasional portable usage. I will also try the Kees mod.

Any thoughts would be extremely welcome!

Thanks,

Will

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 15
You could try looking at these old threads for starters.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/204879/there-s-something-about-ultrasone/2895#post_2821957
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516067/ultrasone-780-vs-ultrasone-900
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/423546/ultrasone-pro900-or

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 15
Buy them and see what you think. You can sell them on here for a very good price if you don't like them. They are on Ebay now for a little over $300.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Yeah though in the UK where I live, unfortunately they don't go for cheaper than £300 about $400+, and getting them shipped from the US including the customs fees would work out about the same
frown.gif

Quote:
Buy them and see what you think. You can sell them on here for a very good price if you don't like them. They are on Ebay now for a little over $300.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I've read them all! In fact I have done day's and day's worth of research! :D

Thanks for your reply.

Will

Ok, sorry. I jumped to conclusions.  I guess I'm curious what you'd want in the way of advice that's not covered in the threads.  (Clearly I can't help as I don't have the 'phones myself.)

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Yeah though in the UK where I live, unfortunately they don't go for cheaper than £300 about $400+, and getting them shipped from the US including the customs fees would work out about the same
frown.gif

Quote:

These cans are not particularly known for their great acoustic reproduction, not that they are bad at it from what I have read. That would probably be some open can like the Sennheiser HD600/650 or some other open headphones I can't think of at the moment. You might to research headphones good for classical/piano, and then start a new thread. These cans are known as really good all-rounders or cans with bass impact approaching that of speakers.

Edit: because I have not heard the Pro 900s, I am essentially operating at the level of the OP. I will update when I hear the Pro 900s.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 15
George have you heard the Pro 900 with piano?

I am quite confident you will love the Pro 900 for your piano if nothing else. Will be very interesting what findings you get either way. Only headphone I have found that render piano as well is the LCD-2. If you have done your research right you should be aware of the KeeS mod as well. Free to experiment with.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 15
I have not heard the Pro 900 period but I hope to hear yours at the meet this Saturday, if you will be so kind. I am bringing an Iriver H120 and an S:Flo2 with my favorite tunes, including some with piano. I edited my last (probably inaccurate) post. I am actually considering getting a pair of these cans, as they have been my "dream" for a  long time.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 15
I was considering PRO 900s recently.
They are here in brand new condition (opened to check them, but brand new, I contacted the seller), for just £248.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310268315790&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Of course, with the Kees mod, you have the option of tweaking the sound if it is not to your liking.

Hope I could help, and good luck!

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Its encouraging to hear from oqvist that they are second best when it comes to piano!

When I get them I will test them and review them with piano music and digital piano, which are both in need of more conclusive information regarding the 900s- take it from me, I have read every page on the web returned by google with "Ultrasone 900 piano digital"!

If any of you are interested in portable performance I will also be looking into this as I will be using these occasionally in that way, and might follow up with a portable amp.

I will post here in probably a couple of weeks.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks but I found some second hand on these forums. Besides, with the delivery and customs charges on US imports, you may aswell just buy them from a UK dealer...

Quote:
I was considering PRO 900s recently.
They are here in brand new condition (opened to check them, but brand new, I contacted the seller), for just £248.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310268315790&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Of course, with the Kees mod, you have the option of tweaking the sound if it is not to your liking.

Hope I could help, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back