Ultra Desktop Amp or Grace Design m902
Jun 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 29
Watch the headroom B-Stock page like a hawk. I've seen three pairs of D7000's pop up (one of which I bought) since I started looking. Those wonderful goofballs at headroom marked down my pair by $310 because (according to the description) there was a small scuff on one earcup...

...To be honest I didn't even see the scuff when I got them, my roomate had to point it out to me because he saw it at just the right angle in good light.

It's weird though because I have seen a few D5000's appear on B Stock with the same issue and only be $50 off.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Con /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch the headroom B-Stock page like a hawk. I've seen three pairs of D7000's pop up (one of which I bought) since I started looking. Those wonderful goofballs at headroom marked down my pair by $310 because (according to the description) there was a small scuff on one earcup...

...To be honest I didn't even see the scuff when I got them, my roomate had to point it out to me because he saw it at just the right angle in good light.

It's weird though because I have seen a few D5000's appear on B Stock with the same issue and only be $50 off.

i would not be surprised if the cost of each ah-d7000 is only $500 to the dealer, so the margins to work with is larger for the 7000 over the 5000.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 29
I already ordered the AH-D5000 for a pretty good price.
smily_headphones1.gif
I couldn't bring myself to pay 75% more for the AH-D7000 with the apparent performance differential that's expected. I can't yet bring myself to put my wallet through that much extra punishment for the degree of improved sound that is repeatedly mentioned as being there, but definitely within the realms of diminishing returns for the hefty price differential.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, the HRD sounds slightly "veiled" in comparison to the m902, but some would say that this veil is necessary for a warmer and more musical SQ.

I've got this theory that what people always hear as "warm" on our gear is actually just a lack of the ubiquitous harshness heard elsewhere. Our gear measures very flat and fast.

I've had the chance to sit within the circle of the Muir String Quartet, and I have to say that the lack of stridance and harshness from the strings is astonishing. A real violin has ZERO edgyness to it; it's perfectly pure and organic. But when reproduced it almost always gets harsh.

I attribute this mostly to parts quality. Our gear uses far better parts than most folks use --- all metal film resistors and film caps in the signal chain and most everywhere else where practical.

I'd love for people to really listen for this and see if the "detail" and "speed" often heard in comparison to HeadRoom amps is stuff that's really on the track, or just such a common artifact that people have come to believe it's normal.

Yeah ...
bert.gif
... but I honestly believe our gear is the more accurate sound.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got this theory that what people always hear as "warm" on our gear is actually just a lack of the ubiquitous harshness heard elsewhere. Our gear measures very flat and fast.

I've had the chance to sit within the circle of the Muir String Quartet, and I have to say that the lack of stridance and harshness from the strings is astonishing. A real violin has ZERO edgyness to it; it's perfectly pure and organic. But when reproduced it almost always gets harsh.

I attribute this mostly to parts quality. Our gear uses far better parts than most folks use --- all metal film resistors and film caps in the signal chain and most everywhere else where practical.

I'd love for people to really listen for this and see if the "detail" and "speed" often heard in comparison to HeadRoom amps is stuff that's really on the track, or just such a common artifact that people have come to believe it's normal.

You know Tyll, I'm not sure if I've seen you put your position down so clearly before. It's an important thing to do, and I'm glad you have the forum here where you are actually allowed to do it.

And as a classical musician, I completely empathise with your point of view (obviously). That being said, even I hear a 'veil' with 650's these days, as if I am trying to hear the instruments but they just aren't quite there.

Keep spreading the word!

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #22 of 29
what tyll says is so true, but he was lucky to be sitting next to a group of trained classical artists where the live violins are played with expertise. this is not always the case and real violins can be very harsh if mishandled, as can the piano.

frankly, i love the way my headroom max and grace m902 makes piano come to life through the grado gs1000i.

i even use it now to make videos of my son's piano play regularly.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #23 of 29
I've owned the m901, and have spent a great deal of time with the Ultra Desktop. I would take the Headroom as I find it has an inherently more pleasant sound. It just sounds more 'real' to me.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_O Rules /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the m901, and have spent a great deal of time with the Ultra Desktop. I would take the Headroom as I find it has an inherently more pleasant sound. It just sounds more 'real' to me.

Anyone have any experience with the Ultra Desktop as well as other SS Amps like the Gilmore or SPL Auditor?

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PC→m902b
PC→UDAC→BUDA
Which is recommended?
I'm using HD650,K701

what's the DUDA?

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean BUDA, not DUDA, right?

Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp.

Thanks!

@radarmod

i think the m902B with those 2 phones is about perfect.
if you added the sennheiser 800, maybe choice 2

paul

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

@radarmod

i think the m902B with those 2 phones is about perfect.
if you added the sennheiser 800, maybe choice 2

paul

Thank you for your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back