Ultra Desktop Amp or Grace Design m902
Jan 14, 2009 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
Both the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp and the Grace Design M902 are of similar price.

Which of the two would HeadRoom recommend for the HD 650's. Both are on sale there.
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of the two would HeadRoom recommend for the HD 650's. Both are on sale there.
icon10.gif

darthsmile.gif

Oh geez, thanks mang, I needed a good chuckle. What do you think I'm gonna say?

How about this: I know folks who own the Grace and like it a lot, the fact we sell it says a lot.

I'd take the Ultra Desktop in a heart beat for many reasons, but that's me.

You should ask around for people who've heard both at length.

Edit - Oh, and thanks, Acrog for the linky. Always thought Wes had good ears.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Both the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp and the Grace Design M902 are of similar price.

I have both and like them for different reasons. Wes Phillips got it right in this excerpt from his review:
With the TosLink connection, I think the differences between the two processors became more apparent: the Grace was detailed and crisp, the HeadRoom big and warm.

I don't want to sink to the old analytical vs musical cliché, because it wasn't that clear-cut. I enjoyed and heard deep, deep into music through the Grace, but it wasn't particularly seductive. Well, gee—it is designed to be an analytical tool for recording engineers, and it shares certain characteristics with other products we audiophiles have borrowed from the pro world, including Wilson Audio Specialties' original WATT/Puppy loudspeakers.

In other words, I felt the Grace m902 was better at letting me hear differences between choices than it was at sucking me deep into performances.
For me, with toslink, the m902 is fantastic with the HD650, and even better with the GS1K.

With USB, according to Phillips, the HRD-maxed blows the m902 away.

In general, the HRD sounds slightly "veiled" in comparison to the m902, but some would say that this veil is necessary for a warmer and more musical SQ.

In my listening, I find that I crave both the analytical m902 and the warm HRD at different times, depending on mood.

May 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, with toslink, the m902 is fantastic with the HD650, and even better with the GS1K.

With USB, according to Phillips, the HRD-maxed blows the m902 away.

In general, the HRD sounds slightly "veiled" in comparison to the m902, but some would say that this veil is necessary for a warmer and more musical SQ.

In my listening, I find that I crave both the analytical m902 and the warm HRD at different times, depending on mood.

feifan,
Since you own all 3 brands (Senn, Grado, and AKG) can you describe your view on the relative comfort of each for long term listening sessions? I have the K-701s and Grado SR-125s, and while I enjoy the sound of the AKGs, I find them very uncomfortable to wear for any extended length of time vs. the Grados, which I barely notice on my head. I do have a large head, which I'm sure is a factor, but I'm thinking about getting a more comfortable set... maybe a higher-end Grado. I've never tried the Sennheisers, either. Tough to determine without a local place to audition them.

May 19, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 29
My senn 650s are like a vice clamp, this relaxes with time but never fully goes away. For long sessions they dont really bother me, I just never forget there on my head like Grados.
Kevin

May 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 29
Kevin,
Thanks for your input. Since I've decided that headphones listening is the most compatible form of music enjoyment with my lifestyle, I've come to the conclusion that even if a pair of headphones are top notch conveyors of music, it becomes a moot point if they cause discomfort and I can't forget I'm wearing them. I'm hoping to hear other opinions on the comfort of various brands... hopefully from other "big noggin" types like myself. Right now I'm leaning towards something higher up in the Grado line, as the SR125s both sound good to me and feel very unobtrusive while I'm wearing them.

May 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezgoin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
feifan,
Since you own all 3 brands (Senn, Grado, and AKG) can you describe your view on the relative comfort of each for long term listening sessions? I have the K-701s and Grado SR-125s, and while I enjoy the sound of the AKGs, I find them very uncomfortable to wear for any extended length of time vs. the Grados, which I barely notice on my head. I do have a large head, which I'm sure is a factor, but I'm thinking about getting a more comfortable set... maybe a higher-end Grado. I've never tried the Sennheisers, either. Tough to determine without a local place to audition them.

Hey, EZ. I've heard others complain about the 701s, too, but they're very comfortable on my head. The GS1K is very comfortable -- and light. These two I can wear all day with almost zero discomfort. The HD650 is a different story. They're snug and would be like clamps if I didn't keep them stretched on a glass mannequin head. It all depends on your head size. I have a medium-sized head so the 701s and GS1K tend to slowly slide off or down if I move around a lot.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 29
i have a headroom max and recently got the grace m902b

the gs1000i does sound really spacious, crisp, airy and live with the grace m902b. for serious organ and beethoven symphonies, i still prefer using my headroom max

a4cb7b5c5d8167a01b76ea9c3096d0fc.jpg

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

paul

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a headroom max and recently got the grace m902b

the gs1000i does sound really spacious, crisp, airy and live with the grace m902b. for serious organ and beethoven symphonies, i still prefer using my headroom max

a4cb7b5c5d8167a01b76ea9c3096d0fc.jpg

ef8bc57c07af57ace2b1a928537f847e.jpg

paul

I'm seriously thinking of a Denon AHD7000. How does it shape up with the HD650? I'm looking for a closed headphone mate for the Senns.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

I'm seriously thinking of a Denon AHD7000. How does it shape up with the HD650? I'm looking for a closed headphone mate for the Senns.

after the denon ah-d7000 arrived last december 2008, I have not used my sennheiser hd 650. whatever great bass or handling of beethoven and bach i loved with the 650 is a bit better on the denon ah-d7000.

there is a slight loss of neutrality on the denon ah-d7000 compared carefully with the hd 650. on music like vivaldi's 4 seasons or small violin pieces. here, i much rather use the grado gs1000i over either denon or senny hd 650.

so in short, if you love your hd 650. the denon ah-d7000 will improve on that with classical. if you love rock, the denon ah-d7000 is very exciting!

the following combo is about the best that i have ever heard led zep 4!

dde579a5c2a292e6fa90329dc717f8f8.jpg

paul

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

after the denon ah-d7000 arrived last december 2008, I have not used my sennheiser hd 650. whatever great bass or handling of beethoven and bach i loved with the 650 is a bit better on the denon ah-d7000.

there is a slight loss of neutrality on the denon ah-d7000 compared carefully with the hd 650. on music like vivaldi's 4 seasons or small violin pieces. here, i much rather use the grado gs1000i over either denon or senny hd 650.

so in short, if you love your hd 650. the denon ah-d7000 will improve on that with classical. if you love rock, the denon ah-d7000 is very exciting!

the following combo is about the best that i have ever heard led zep 4!

dde579a5c2a292e6fa90329dc717f8f8.jpg

paul

Thanks for the testimony.
smily_headphones1.gif
Comments as these make you say 'what the ...' and burn that hole in your pocket. I should've done so when the price was down at $650!

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the testimony.
smily_headphones1.gif
Comments as these make you say 'what the ...' and burn that hole in your pocket. I should've done so when the price was down at $650!

sorry

wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

sorry

wink_face.gif

My voice of reason does have me wondering, 'why not the AH-D5000. It would seem that the performance differential isn't that much. The point of diminishing returns seems to feature heavily between these two models.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

My voice of reason does have me wondering, 'why not the AH-D5000. It would seem that the performance differential isn't that much. The point of diminishing returns seems to feature heavily between these two models.

if you call headroom or another and beg to get the ah-d7000 for under $600, the cost/value over the ah-d5000 is large enough and justify spending the money.
if you pay full at $999 for the ah-d7000, your point is valid.

that said, i have a size 7.75 hat size and the ah-d7000 fits this melon better than the ah-d5000. they are not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back