Ultra comfortable headphones?
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 27
I still think that the MDs may be on the heavy and hot side, but it's worth a try. Dan has a 15-day return policy for domestic customers; I'm not sure if that applies to international orders as well.

I'm still not sure that the MDR-1R/D600/DT770 would be great choices, since they're all bass-emphasized and most of them are pretty heavy.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #17 of 27
If you look for a balanced sound, doesn't need to have isolation and is comfortable, then Shure SRH 1840 is a nice buy. It's also very easy to drive so you don't need to bring a big setup to work.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 27
  If you look for a balanced sound, doesn't need to have isolation and is comfortable, then Shure SRH 1840 is a nice buy. It's also very easy to drive so you don't need to bring a big setup to work.

The OP wanted a closed can, and also probably doesn't want to stretch the budget far enough to afford an SRH-1840.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 27
I have used IEMs at work and have a pair of Westone 4Rs which I love BUT my office is a bit strange and people often come up to my desk and just start talking to me not realising I have earphones in! No chance of that with headphones :)

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #21 of 27
I am on the same search for ultra comfortable closed headphones for work.  I currently have the Fostex T50RP but it suffers from comfort issues after about an hour due to the shallowness of the earpads.  Also it lacks impactful bass.  More often I use the KOSS TBSE DJ1000s.   They do fit completely around my ears.  At first they were uncomfortable but after repeated bending of the headband they unexpectedly got to the point where I could wear them for several hours with no problem.  However, the reason I am upgrading from them is that from my FiiO X3 I have to drop the treble by 3db and boost the bass by 5db to get a balanced sound.  Pretty decent sound once that is done.

At home I have the Senn HD650s and I wish I could use them at work because they sound phenomenal out of the FiiO X3 and are super comfortable as well.  So the fact that they sound so good is what prompted me to start searching for a similarly great but closed set.

In case it helps, here are the headphones I have currently narrowed my list down to based on the search for comfortable great sound headphones with wide sound stage (for a closed can) and deep impact-full bass without being over done:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 $400 - nothing but good reports out there so far for these from what I have seen for on comfort, sound quality and sound stage.

Shure SRH1540 $500 - see Jude's video review on this website.  If there were less expensive I would have already ordered a pair.

Beyer dt770 32 Ohm $200.  - seems to be a lot of people that like these, and a lot who condemn them.

NAD Viso HP50 $275.  - many good reports on these although conflicting reports on their comfort - a few reviews indicate that they suffer from not having deep enough earpads and so the drive grill rests on some people's ears causing discomfort.  (many of the full size closed cans seem to suffer from this and have been eliminated from my list such as the Sony MSR-1R and the Sound Magic HP100s for example).

Vmoda 100 w/XL memory cushions - $300.  I need to read a bit more about these, but i thought I saw a post indicating that with the XL pads the bass was toned down to a more reasonable level.

PSB M4U1 - $300.  Good reports on sound and comfort but they are sorta big plastic toyish looking things.

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 27
Maybe Sony MRD-7520? Closed, comfortable (to me), discreet, and has a pretty smooth / balanced sound. Plus, it's relatively easy to drive on a portable rig. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 27
  Mad Dogs (Alpha Dogs are a bit heavier...)
Sony MDR-1R
PSB M4U 1
Beyer DT770 Pro 80
KEF M500 (on-ears but comfortable for at least 3 hours contiguously)
Denon D600
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru

These have been the comfiest over-ears that I have tried... all of them produce good to great sound... not necessarily "balanced" throughout (i.e. D600, DT770 are bass oriented but the rest are not as accentuated in the low-end).

Good luck.

I don't think the MDR-1R is very comfortable, but then again each to their own...

Quote:
  I still think that the MDs may be on the heavy and hot side, but it's worth a try. Dan has a 15-day return policy for domestic customers; I'm not sure if that applies to international orders as well.

I'm still not sure that the MDR-1R/D600/DT770 would be great choices, since they're all bass-emphasized and most of them are pretty heavy.

I think the DT770 is very comfortable despite its weight

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #26 of 27
I actually do have the ATH-900X and do not want to use them at work due to the comfort issues. The pads cause mega heating so I can only really wear them for short listening sessions at home. Could experiment with some third party pads though?

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #27 of 27
I have A900 currently, with the replacement fabric/velour pads, and they are still rather bad for comfort & fit. Mad Dogs feel very heavy, have a fairly strong headband/camp force, and the ear pads are too thick/plush, which makes the overall comfort suffer quite a lot (imo).

By a long shot, the absolute best thing I've ever had on my head so far are the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones.
smile_phones.gif
 Though, I've heard the sound quality suffers due to the noise cancellation. I'd love to have a pair for general non-music/gaming purposes, myself!

Sennheisers also have a great, snug fit, but of course are open-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back