Ultra comfortable headphones?
Oct 29, 2013 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Krisman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some full size headphones for work. The main factor I am looking for is COMFORT! :)

I cannot wear anything that sits on the ear or makes my head too hot.

I do not need good isolation just a good balanced sound and ultra comfort
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 27
Mad Dog's from Mr. Speakers (or the Alpha Dog's if your wallet can manage), or the Sony XB500/700 is my vote. I'm sure those will pop up repeatedly.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 27
  Mad Dog's from Mr. Speakers (or the Alpha Dog's if your wallet can manage), or the Sony XB500/700 is my vote. I'm sure those will pop up repeatedly.

XB500/700 aren't anywhere in the ballpark of a balanced sound.

The Mad Dogs or Alpha Dogs are a good choice though, that is if you're willing to get a decent portable rig to go with them.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 27
ATH-A900X. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 27
Most portable headphones use leather type pads to increase isolation which will get hot after a while unless the room is AC'd. That being said my votes go to the D600 and MDR-1R. They do hurt the top of my head after a few hours but nothing major, just have to move the headband a bit and all is good. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 27
Mad Dogs (Alpha Dogs are a bit heavier...)
Sony MDR-1R
PSB M4U 1
Beyer DT770 Pro 80
KEF M500 (on-ears but comfortable for at least 3 hours contiguously)
Denon D600
AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru

These have been the comfiest over-ears that I have tried... all of them produce good to great sound... not necessarily "balanced" throughout (i.e. D600, DT770 are bass oriented but the rest are not as accentuated in the low-end).

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 27
The OP hasn't named a price point yet, but if he's willing to spend a few of the suggestions above would make sense.

The KEF M500 and Mad Dog are some of the most oft-suggested options if by "balanced sound" you truly meant something relatively neutral across all spectrums, but both of them violate one of your main requirements. The M500 sits on-ear, and the Mad Dog can get unbearably hot after awhile due to its massive Alpha Pads. In addition, the Mad Dog with Alpha Pads has some clamping issues for some people, though my head is small enough not to have those problems. The MD also really should be put in a setup with a headphone amplifier to shine, so if you want a casual can to plug into an iPod or computer they won't be for you.

If you like some bass boost, the MDR-1R and D600 would probably be decent choices (though I haven't personally owned the D600 and can't confirm what others have said about them), but both of them suffer from the same cushy leather pad issue that the Mad Dog does. They're comfortable at first because they're extremely cushioned, but get hot and stuffy after an hour or so.

I think what you really need is a relatively lightweight can with velour earpads, something like an HD5xx, but closed. Perhaps a Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5/LINDY Premium Hi-Fi (they're all the same headphone marketed under different brand names) would work, but I can't recall which versions come with velours and which come with leather earpads so somebody else would have to chime in. At the time that I purchased my pair the FA-003 came with one leather pair and one velour pair, but that could've changed over the last two years. In addition, you will probably have to stretch them out considerably for them to be comfortable long-term, since they were even tight on me when new.

The Koss Pro DJ100 are super-lightweight and have a mid-centric sound with plenty of treble sparkle, but their cups are too small to be truly over-ear unless your ears are tiny. If you hadn't specifically stipulated a fully over-ear design, they'd be at the top of my recommendation list. Something similar to them with larger earpads and higher build quality is the Pioneer HDJ2000, but those might be a little on the bassy side for your tastes.

There's a lot of variables here, so I'll refrain from naming any more suggestions until we have a price point to work with and a clarification on whether over-ears are completely out-of-limits or just discouraged.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 27
Hey everyone, amazing advice already so thank you. I am in the UK and not even heard of the Mad Dogs so that is definately on my list to try just incase the 'hot head' issue is not so bad for me. After all the UK is not exactly the hottest place on Earth!!! :)

Price point would be from around $150 upwards (but not so upwards I end up with top of the line Fostex/Ultrasones etc.) :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 27
Another +1 for the Mad Dogs. I would say I've not owned a more comfortable pair of headphones. I even prefer them in comfort to my former AKG Q701. You'll have a tough time finding them around $150, but you can get a decent sale from people in the For Sale section here on Head-Fi. I wear mine for extended sessions without getting sweaty as long as the indoor temperature is reasonable.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 27
With the parameters given I was set to suggest Ultrasone Edition 8. Great isolation, comfort, easy to drive. Then I saw price may be an issue.

Denon D600, Beyer DT770 with velours, almost forgot Ultrasone Pro900 (comes with velours) and to me is very comfy. That's my best bet for you. I put Alpha pads on them but stock with velours you should be set for hours. Oh, and they thump.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 27
Not closed at all, but the Sony MDR-F1 is bar a long margin the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried; excellend soundstage as a bonus :) In any case you could split comfort into a few categories to help judge what you want. All of these will influence how happy you will be with your purchase. Could possibly be good to know what source you intend using them with.
-Weight (light=comfort; more important if you plan on using them a lot)
-Fit/shape (head shape and size dependant, is it too small or too loose fitting, do you plan on walking around with them?)
-Headband comfort (some give pressure points; should they be easily adjustable for wearing a hat or similar?)
-Earcups (Some squeeze the ears or feel uncomfortable - leather or fluffy fabric?)
-Wire (length, one or two sided) (I like one sided for comfort.)
-Connector (do you need a bulky adapter with your source)
-Hot (how open is it, do the earcups get humid) (open is often more comfortable I think)

Seems that you also want it to be noise cancelling or noise isolating (office environment or commuting?); and have price and sound quality requirements as well...In any case I wish good luck finding a good pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back