Ultra-Budget IEM's
Oct 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gngf123

New Head-Fier
The JVC Marshmallows seem to be mentioned quite a lot, but I was just wondering. Are there any others in this same kind of price category that give a surprisingly decent sound?

I haven't had much experience with IEM's, but I really need something nice and cheap for the train journeys to university. Probably will need to be fairly easy to find in the UK.

I often listen to instrumental rock/metal and movie soundtracks. But I do go to other things, so something with a detailed but balanced sound would be brilliant. Something bass heavy wouldn't be a problem as long as it didn't distort the rest too much.

I love my Goldring DR150 headphones, so I am tempted to get the GX200, which I have seen on sale for under £20.

I should also be getting a FiiO E5 soon. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Check out this thread.  It's a comparison of 114 (and counting) IEMs, many of them in the lower price ranges:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-114-iems-compared-fischer-silver-bullet-thinksound-ts02-added-10-08

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 11
[size=medium]
I noticed that the GX200's are not even mentioned. Are they really that unknown, or is it more of a shipping problem?

There also seems to be an availability issue. Some of the best cheaper phones seem to be hard to find over here. However, I spotted a few nice ones that are. The cheaper RadioPaq's look interesting, and I am sure I have seen the iMetal's available before, but a quick look just now has shown no real results. Still, these are £30 phones, a little more than what I was planning to spend on super-cheaps. MeElectronics M9's are also available and at almost an identical price to the GX200's. So is there anyone with any experience with the GX200's that could tell me how these compare to some of the others in the list? Especially compared to the M9. Since they now look the top 2 candidates.

EDIT:

After some working with the USA website and some coupons, I found that I can get the M6's for around £17 after shipping. Putting them slightly cheaper than the GX200's. These are probably the ones I am going for unless someone says otherwise.
[/size]

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 11
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-pl11-earphones-prodid-1829.html

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 11
If your interested in getting the Radiopaqs they are 19.99 direct from radiopaq or 20 quid from HMV, many other good options out there all depends on what kind of sound your after and what kind of music you listen to.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 11
That is pretty decent actually.

So that brings us to this:

M6 vs GX200 vs RadioPaq vs PL11

The M6 is actually the cheapest of the lot, but importing from the states makes me nervous incase of a faulty product. I am going to ignore the GX200's for now aswell, unless someone can give feedback.

So that really leaves me with RadioPaq vs PL11. Out of these two I am really not sure. The RadioPaqs seem the more reliable choice. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 11
What kind of music are you listening to? As i said i just got a pair of the radiopaqs so i could offer some information on how they peform if it's with music i've got.

I think the PL11's were a bit more bassy than the radiopaqs but the radiopaqs were a nicer balanced sound but still have plenty of bass for most music.

I think only dub listeners would have a problem with these.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Okay, for a quick general list, try some of these songs:

Marty Friedman - Viper
Professor fate - The gates of hell
Steve Jablonsky - My name is lincoln

As for stuff with vocals:
Kamelot - The haunting
Spiritual Beggars - Left Brain Ambassadors

That should be enough to give a fair idea.

EDIT: Thanks for the link mark, your argument is really convincing :p. I am edging towards the Jazz now.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Right i've just given those tracks a quick blast on the Jazz....

I definitely think you'll be a happy camper if you get them, i think it gives the tracks a good honest sound with a nice bass line to really get you into it.

Hadn't heard of Kamelot before, just streamed the haunting video through youtube (so not the best quality compared to a high quality rip you do yourself) but the best quality stream i could find sounded very good. More into Nightwish myself
biggrin.gif

ps.tasty woman in red in that video ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back