Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,071 of 4,383
Quote:
Hi all,

New to the party but have owned dozens of different items at various price points. Recently traded my collection for a pair of Shure 535s & a pair if UE900s... I just don't get the fuss about the UE 900s - they're really not top tier next to 535s with the right tips. Are there many UE900 fakes about cos mine're really lame for the money?

I don't think you can really say that either outclasses the other in general. One is more technically superior while the other is great if you like a thick, gooey sound and love forward mids. Many would consider the UE900 leaps and bounds ahead of the dated SE535 with its very colorfully tilted sound signature. Some people just like one sound better than another... the UE900 are top tier, but maybe not to your taste. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #2,072 of 4,383
Hello everyone.

I am a new ue900 owner and a new headfier.

Registered the account so I could type this.

I believe that listening preference is subjective. I see this statement repeatedly as I was lurking in the forums trying to decide which phones to purchase.

Someone close to me, advice me to do blind test.

Un-Ashamed I went to the local store and told them what I planned to do. They obliged with a smile. Claiming I wasn't the first to ask for a blind test.

I told them the 4 phones I intended to audition.
1. Shure 535
2. Ue900
3. Westones 4
4. Seinheiser 8i

So they brought me to a corner of the shop and I put on the sleeping eye patch you get on overnight long distance flights.

With the help of my wife who placed the earphones over my ear I tested 2 of my favourite songs.
a. The calling from the final fantasy soundtrack
b. Let down from Radiohead OK Computer.

I walked out of the shop with the UE900

Why? Because I like how it sounded the most.

According to my wife. I had tested the Seinheiser and didnt want to hear it again.

I tested the 535 once but found the westone 4 and ue900 better.

I went back and forth between the westone 4 and ue900, 3 times over. Alternating between them across the 2 songs.

The final 2 phones were number 2 and number 3.

I eventually chose phone number 2. Which was the ue900.

Why? It was how I preferred my song to sound like. As simple as that.

Sorry I could not lay it down for you as well and as technical as some of you have.

Test it for yourself. It is a preference thing.

Salut.

*edit , I spelled simple as sinple - on the phone. Corrected it on the desktop.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,073 of 4,383
I don't think you can really say that either outclasses the other in general. One is more technically superior while the other is great if you like a thick, gooey sound and love forward mids. Many would consider the UE900 leaps and bounds ahead of the dated SE535 with its very colorfully tilted sound signature. Some people just like one sound better than another... the UE900 are top tier, but maybe not to your taste. 

As with all things audio, any assessment is entirely subjective, so of course - like any other comments on the forum - mine above are based on my own perception of the two phones. There're no absolutes.

To me, the UE900s have a vastly more coloured signature than the Shures... & UE's own literature suggests this is true... "with an added bass kick" as they say. I would suggest their adding bass to the tuning is to the detriment of everything else making it glutinous, congested & overly dark... Not at all to my taste as you rightly say - give me open, spacious & detailed every time. Newer doesn't automatically mean better.

Have just bought a pair of Ortophon eQ5's from a fellow Headfier & they too shame the UE900s into a dark & cluttered sounding corner - for considerably less cash. Stunning.

If anyone wants a pair of mint UE900s, feel free to make me an offer.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,075 of 4,383
The Null Audio Lune MKIII + UE900 with the pinhole blocked, the sound is CRAZY. I've tried with the pinhole opened but I don't know why the Lune seems to bring out too much bass, its overwhelming. The pinhole blocked brings the neutral sound of the UE900 + the great bass that the cable provides. It's unbelievable what a cable can do. It's completely a different iem in my opinion: the best that I can bring out of these. The only thing is that the cable is a bit fragile... Not really well made but still I wouldn't go to stock cable again!!!

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,076 of 4,383
Quote:
The Null Audio Lune MKIII + UE900 with the pinhole blocked, the sound is CRAZY. I've tried with the pinhole opened but I don't know why the Lune seems to bring out too much bass, its overwhelming. The pinhole blocked brings the neutral sound of the UE900 + the great bass that the cable provides. It's unbelievable what a cable can do. It's completely a different iem in my opinion: the best that I can bring out of these. The only thing is that the cable is a bit fragile... Not really well made but still I wouldn't go to stock cable again!!!

you think its worth the $150? im thinking of getting that fiio cable.. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,077 of 4,383
Just wanna share with you guys. The black paint on mine start peeling off. It's getting annoying everyday. Today I pick up some wire brush and start scrubbing, end up with the steel brush effect. Audio quality is still awesome tho!

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,078 of 4,383
Quote:
you think its worth the $150? im thinking of getting that fiio cable.. 

I was curious and bought the Fiio cable too. The sound is very clean and the bass is tight (still not low enough for me): it brings the sound much more balanced, but the Lune gives another level of details, depth and bass that I've never heard of with these iem. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,079 of 4,383
I bought a Ultimate ears cable with mic from the official website, after 1 month I still don't received anything and I tried to contact them, there is no reply for email at all, then I switch to phone call. They just transfer me over and over again, but no one is willing to handle my issue. Anyone coming accross the inability to customer serivice of Ultimate Ears? 

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,080 of 4,383
Quote:
I bought a Ultimate ears cable with mic from the official website, after 1 month I still don't received anything and I tried to contact them, there is no reply for email at all, then I switch to phone call. They just transfer me over and over again, but no one is willing to handle my issue. Anyone coming accross the inability to customer serivice of Ultimate Ears? 

Try Logitech instead, as they own UE now.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,083 of 4,383
Hello all, first time poster long time reader.

I have just bought myself a pair of these IEM's and I have to say I am very impressed and delighted with the sound quality.
I have upgraded from some Senheiser cx95 which I used exclusively in the gym and Beyer Dynamic DT1350. I'm sure the latter will surprise a lot of people considering how highly people on here rate the DT1350 but I have to say I prefer them. I still have the Beyers but cant see them getting much use from now.

Hyp

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,084 of 4,383
Just wanna share with you guys. The black paint on mine start peeling off. It's getting annoying everyday. Today I pick up some wire brush and start scrubbing, end up with the steel brush effect. Audio quality is still awesome tho!

Dang, nicer than black. I have 2 pair one I am going to paint other to silver. :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,085 of 4,383
Hi guys, fellow UE900 owner here. If you guys are looking to improve the sound quality of your UE900s I recommend trying the newly released FiiO RC-SE1 cable. It's a silver-plated copper cable for Shure, and of course UE900. I bought it when it came out, and I have spent more than one week with it. I can certainly say it improves the sound quality. It slightly increases the detail and resolution of the already very detailed UE900, and brings tremendous power and energy to the music. It is also less likely to distort at higher volumes. Overall the sound is more enjoyable with the FiiO cable. The effect is somewhat similar to what the Dark Lord cable does for the TF10 (if you read the TF10 thread, you'll know what I mean). Build quality is very good, sturdy cables and a nice metal jack, I largely prefer it over the stock cables. It's pretty cheap for a SPC cable, so it probably won't hurt your wallet if you decide to take the plunge.

I'm not an audio expert so I can't explain the sound changes very well, so if others who took the plunge could post more detailed impressions here I'm sure it will be helpful for other UE900 owners.

Just contributing my two cents in this thread. :)

Link:
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000042227825&MenuID=105026014

Do they have ear guide ? from that picture doesn't look like it. Without the ear guide it's pretty useless IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back