Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,940 of 4,383
Yeah technically they are pretty impressive, definitely more balanced than my UM3X, but less neutral mids. Extension seems good on both ends. I also really like the cable: light and soft but still fairly thick and seems sturdy. Personally I preferred the TF10, I like the warmer bass and darker midrange, but for those looking for a balanced phone with great ergonomics and a less lush midrange that remains detailed and engaging, they would do very well.
Can't disagree with this.  These are a brighter headphone in the mds.  They aren't perfect, but are still technically up there.

A bit changes with these as you use them though :p The mids won't get fixed though unless you mod, same goes for the bass really (they both do improve, bass more than the mids).  Treble does gain presence, but still is a little rolled back :wink:

May 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,941 of 4,383
Quote:
Yeah technically they are pretty impressive, definitely more balanced than my UM3X, but less neutral mids. Extension seems good on both ends. I also really like the cable: light and soft but still fairly thick and seems sturdy. Personally I preferred the TF10, I like the warmer bass and darker midrange, but for those looking for a balanced phone with great ergonomics and a less lush midrange that remains detailed and engaging, they would do very well.

Yeah, that lack of lushness in the midrange is something I would really like to have back on these IEMs.  The included cable is definitely one of my favorites :wink:

May 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,942 of 4,383
Quote:
My right side has the cracking/sound cutoff issue too. It's really annoying and I take very good care of my earphones. So I went down to the service centre and they swapped the cable for me. Gonna monitor it and hope the problem won't come back again. Btw I'm using the iPhone cable.

How did the cable replacement working for you? I am having the same problem with the cracking sound. I also thought it was the cable initially, then Logitech replaced the entire headphones for free. After an hour use, it was giving me the same exact problem unfortunately. I've called them and might be getting a third pair of these. 

May 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,943 of 4,383
Quote:
My original UE900s were from the bad batch, RMA'd them for a new pair, which seemed fine in the beginning. I have noticed that after a few days one or both earpieces begin to experience the same issue, with the sound cutting in and out. Removing and reinserting the cable seems to resolve it, but it always comes back.

I will probably RMA them again, as they might have given me another bad pair. Having to re-seat the earpieces on the cable once or twice a week isn't a big deal, but I suspect the problem will eventually get worse, and, for $400 + tax, I have zero tolerance for such issues - especially since I have no such issues with my Sleek SA7s, or any of my cheap and crappy IEMs.

Logitech really needs to revisit this design, because I am convinced the flaw is in the new connector, and I would like to see a redesigned cable that addresses the issue permanently.

Also: the memory plastic on the cable is a joke. Seriously, this has been done well by so many manufacturers, there is no excuse for memory plastic with limited "memory". It utterly fails to remain tightly wound behind my ear for any reasonable length of time.

The IEMs themselves are divine, and at less than half the cost of Shure's new reference ridiculousness, a steal.

I feel you on this one. I'm about to return my second pair and about to receive my third pair. Did the toothbrush got rid of your problem? Thanks!

May 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,945 of 4,383
Received mine today.

Pretty disappointed by the fit and the sound.

I tried the several size and it's almost inconfortable.

For the sound, the bass are ok but for the rest, it sound like there is a veil on the music.

I will send it back to the seller.

May 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,946 of 4,383
Quote:
Received mine today.

Pretty disappointed by the fit and the sound.

I tried the several size and it's almost inconfortable.

For the sound, the bass are ok but for the rest, it sound like there is a veil on the music.

I will send it back to the seller.

I just got mine today. Before getting it I auditioned it at the store, it sounded just like my thing. Out of the box, they sounded veiled with boomy bloated bass all over the place. It was very different from the sound I heard. And then I remembered reading something about the pinhole bore and covering it up, so I took a tiny (really tiny) bit of blue tack and sticking it on top of the pinhole bore to cover it up. The change in sound is immense- there is no more veil and the boomy bass is replaced with quality, punchy, deep bass. Bass quantity is far less than out-of-the-box, but far more controlled with better quality, in my opinion. I think it sounded even better than the UE900 I auditioned, which possibly had lots of wax clogging its nozzle (and pinhole bore). In case you're wondering, the pinhole bore is right next to the main nozzle. You should be able to see a really tiny bore. That's what you should cover up.

Fit-wise, it's comfortable for me and I don't think you need deep insertion for these. The housing is far too big for that, so a shallow seal is adequate. The memory wire is very annoying though, and I'm thinking of removing it like the other thread mentioned. But I'm afraid it will void the warranty.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663892/how-do-i-get-rid-of-those-stupid-annoying-ue900-memory-wires-tutorial-with-pics

May 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,948 of 4,383
I'm just loving my UE900, it delivers my sound signature preference to all types of music that I've thrown at it. However, I am rather unhappy about the shorting out of sound in the right earbud! I have now tried the rotate, reconnect cable trick a few times and seems to have worked. I'll be unhappy if it comes back because that means these would have to go back for  a replacement!!! What a shame for such a lovely pair of buds. Love them, SQ wise.

A question: has anyone tried to use this with HeadStage Arrow Amp? What's your conclusion/opinion? Many thanks for any feedback.

May 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,949 of 4,383
Try taking a VERY slightly dampened q-tip to the connector pieces, then use the dry end on it afterwards. I've had to do that to my SE215 once or twice, and they use the same connectors.
Quote:
I'm just loving my UE900, it delivers my sound signature preference to all types of music that I've thrown at it. However, I am rather unhappy about the shorting out of sound in the right earbud! I have now tried the rotate, reconnect cable trick a few times and seems to have worked. I'll be unhappy if it comes back because that means these would have to go back for  a replacement!!! What a shame for such a lovely pair of buds. Love them, SQ wise.

A question: has anyone tried to use this with HeadStage Arrow Amp? What's your conclusion/opinion? Many thanks for any feedback.

May 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,950 of 4,383
The mod is explained in the quote. I'm quite skeptical that it was an intended design. If so why wouldn't they just cover the bore themselves? Or just remove the bore?

Quote:

The sound does change, and the change really deals with the tiny pinhole bore.  You can either keep listening and wait for it to fill up on it's own.  The result will be gradual, but audible (it sounds and feels like burn in).  Or you can fill it yourself, some have tried tape (no clue how they got the tape to work properly :p), others fill it with wax.  This will cause the bass levels to drop drastically if you fill the hole yourself, you've been warned (they drop to an almost neutral level with a small emphasis on the upper lows) :p  If you let it fill naturally, it will take a few weeks to fully complete (two may not even be enough for the full effect).  

Raw graph left, compensated graph right.  ​

​
The pinhole effect is actually quite large.  It's about a total of 5 dB down for the entire spectrum from 50 Hz on up.  This is really what creates the canopy over the rest of the range and makes these overly bass heavy.  We're still unsure if it was deliberately done like this.  

There obviously is a third option, and that would be to return the IEMs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back