Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,906 of 4,383
How are these unamped? I already have a pair of headphones for home (he-400) and i'm getting another $400, so how are they? Are they same sound signature wise as well?

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,907 of 4,383
Quote:
How are these unamped? I already have a pair of headphones for home (he-400) and i'm getting another $400, so how are they? Are they same sound signature wise as well?

They are easily driven if that's what you're asking.  If you want something that sounds like the HE-400, you'll want to cover up the pinhole bore on the UE 900 (if you go that route :wink:). 

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,909 of 4,383

Saying goodbye to my favorite universal so far.

I used to be a huge balanced dynamic fan with a strong appreciation for design but the W4 steered me toward neutral balanced armatures and the UE900 really convinced me of a superior audio reproduction (musical sound without drifting towards clinical).

While the market is offering great new alternatives (SM64, FA-3E /XB), I have found the next step with the StageDiver 3 as an universal, or might even jump directly to CIEM territory with Stage 3 or UERM.

Have fun guys, see you around!

Have fun with your new gear, nice picture I must say!

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,911 of 4,383
I find my iPhone 4 and iPad mini are both a bit warm sounding whereas my Nokia win8 phone Is a bit brighter and more airy sounding so source definitely changes things.

May 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,913 of 4,383
I lost my Phonak PFE 111's, and auditioned the UE900 today. Really liked the sound, but the price is steep and when I came back to read this thread it seems there are build issues as well?

It's a pity the local store here does not carry the Phonak 111/112 anymore and Phonak does not ship internationally, as I love them- not that expensive, sounds great, and an utter comfort to wear. The UE900 do sound better and fuller, but not $250 better. On the other hand I absolutely love the look of the UE900 and its colour scheme. But the build issues worry me.

Are there any alternatives to the UE900 at around the same price point or lower? Something with a similar sound signature- fairly balanced with adequate but not overwhelming bass and sparkly yet not fatiguing highs.

May 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,914 of 4,383
I have had no build quality issues with my UE900 (knock on wood) so think the UE900 is worth taking a chance on. But the W4 or W4R would be your other choice from what I read.

May 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,915 of 4,383
Quote:
I lost my Phonak PFE 111's, and auditioned the UE900 today. Really liked the sound, but the price is steep and when I came back to read this thread it seems there are build issues as well?

It's a pity the local store here does not carry the Phonak 111/112 anymore and Phonak does not ship internationally, as I love them- not that expensive, sounds great, and an utter comfort to wear. The UE900 do sound better and fuller, but not $250 better. On the other hand I absolutely love the look of the UE900 and its colour scheme. But the build issues worry me.

Are there any alternatives to the UE900 at around the same price point or lower? Something with a similar sound signature- fairly balanced with adequate but not overwhelming bass and sparkly yet not fatiguing highs.

If you liked the Phonak 111/112, maybe you may also enjoy the Etymotic HF5 or the HiFiMan RE400.  The RE400 is a thicker, warmer sound compared to the PFE while the Etymotic is everso-slightly colder than the PFE.

May 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,916 of 4,383
Good options tinyman392, I owned the HF5 and did enjoy them actually more than the PFE122 myself. I found they had slightly less sharp treble and better isolation (I used Shure olive tips) but at the expense of comfort as compared to the PFE. I have not heard the HE400 so will defer to your and other's opinion and experience with that IEM.

May 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,917 of 4,383
Actually unless great isolation is a must I would also suggest the Fidelio S2/1 as well. They are not as good as the UE900 in my opinion but very nice for the price. I have the S2 and am enjoying them quite a bit. Slightly more bass and treble presence with slightly less midrange. Slightly larger sound stage but a bit less detail and instrument separation.

May 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,918 of 4,383
It's hard to find Etymotics here in Malaysia. But that Philips Fidelio S2 looks interesting. Not sure if they are sold anywhere here though, I'll have a look around. I don't need good isolation because I use IEMs mostly during work. Can't have too much isolation or I won't hear incoming phones calls...

What are the chances that Logitech have fixed the build issues with the newer shipments? The local store here is out of stock and will only be getting new stock in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm still really tempted to buy there. It actually feels very comfortable to me when I tried them.

May 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,919 of 4,383
The noise over build issues has quieted down so I suspect most issues were with the first batch of these.

I notice the difference of isolation especially with quiet music when on public transit. I also get ear fatigue a bit using the S2 because I end turning up the volume to combat the difference in isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back