Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,846 of 4,383
Quote:
If your getting wax in your ue900s then I think your inserting them too deep. You should select a larger tip to give a seal on the outer ear for best sound.

My wax isn't the wet kind.  It's the dry flakey kind.  It's not only the wax that will clog up the pinhole nozzle though, there are other things that will too :p  As for inserting them too deep.  They haven't reached my second bend yet (I don't even think it's possible with the 900 :p).  So I'm all good :wink:

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,847 of 4,383
My experience with these headphones has been (comparing them to my Westone 4R's):

- Lighter on bass than the Westone's in a way I don't prefer (They have great bass compared to most headphones, but in my opinion not as good as the 4R's)

- They are very finicky in terms of placement and distortion. By this, if you don't place them with enough seal or at the right angle, music can get fuzzy at times (their website states this is because they need more isolation so they suggest moving them around). My 4R's never have this problem

- Their mids are more detailed than the 4R's in my experience. I can hear a more distinct seperation between instruments or sounds in the mid range than the 4R's - but not enough to warrant their lack of bass for my personal taste.

Love the microphone and buttons

I wish the 4R's had the UE 900's mids, but having to choose between the two I chose the 4R's

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,848 of 4,383
Quote:
My experience with these headphones has been (comparing them to my Westone 4R's):

- Lighter on bass than the Westone's in a way I don't prefer (They have great bass compared to most headphones, but in my opinion not as good as the 4R's)

- They are very finicky in terms of placement and distortion. By this, if you don't place them with enough seal or at the right angle, music can get fuzzy at times (their website states this is because they need more isolation so they suggest moving them around). My 4R's never have this problem

- Their mids are more detailed than the 4R's in my experience. I can hear a more distinct seperation between instruments or sounds in the mid range than the 4R's - but not enough to warrant their lack of bass for my personal taste.

Love the microphone and buttons

I wish the 4R's had the UE 900's mids, but having to choose between the two I chose the 4R's

I'll agree with everything here, but I don't hear this "fuzzy" music :p  It's possible its your source as well.  What are you using to drive the UE 900? 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,850 of 4,383
Quote:
I've used my iPhone 5 normally, my Retina Macbook Pro normally, and my iPhone 5 with a FIIO amp - it happens regardless of the source (I've also tested it using FLAC files):

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32446/section/troubleshoot/crid/1419/lt_product_id/10149/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en

I want to say you may possibly have a defective pair of UE 900.  I don't know if the fuzzyness is actually a muffled/really soft sound (EG, not loud enough). 

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,853 of 4,383
Quote:
Guys, lazy to read 124 pages of tread. Can someone please tell about UE900 vs Heir Audio 4.Ai or vs Alclair Reference?

At the top of the thread there's a "Search this thread" link.  Just type in the IEMs you want to compare against into there - don't recall seeing anything vs. the Alclair, but there should be alot of chatter vs. Heir.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,854 of 4,383
Quote:
I'm unsure if the drivers burn in, but the pinhole bore does get filled with time (unless you're the type that cleans your ears nightly). You can try covering up the pinhole bore to see what it'll sound like in the long run. Regular burn in will make the minimal difference in contrast to what happens with the pinhole nozzle.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Either way, I don't want to turn it into that conversation. You're free to believe what you want, but there really is no proof going either direction for burn in, especially with BAs (which have close to no data).

I tried to cover up the pinhole bore. There is still some issue with vocals and upper mids. There is sometimes disturbing distortion in sound.. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,855 of 4,383
I tried to cover up the pinhole bore. There is still some issue with vocals and upper mids. There is sometimes disturbing distortion in sound.. 

It's possible that your UE 900 is defective. Contact UE support?

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,858 of 4,383
Quote:
It's possible that your UE 900 is defective. Contact UE support?

There is a chance to replace it from an Apple store? It has been purchased from Logitech itself.

If you purchased through Logitech, you'll have to exchange through Logitech. Apple store won't take it unless accompanied by a receipt.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,859 of 4,383
What's a good price on the UE900?

I only see them for the MSRP of 399.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back