Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,696 of 4,383
The c5 needs allot of break in..allot...then the bass calms down and the detail opens up..I think they sound good..they are deffently a fun sounding iem and after break in sound really good...but rite out of the box they are really boomy

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,697 of 4,383
Quote:
The c5 needs allot of break in..allot...then the bass calms down and the detail opens up..I think they sound good..they are deffently a fun sounding iem and after break in sound really good...but rite out of the box they are really boomy

I burned in between 100 and 200 hours.  The bass did go down, but not enough, still a bit too boomy.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,698 of 4,383
Quote:
I just put some Sony Hybrid tips on my UE 900.  Seems to do quite a bit to them, lowers the mid-to-upper bass bump and has a larger focus on the upper midrange.  Treble comes out quite a bit more as well.  Don't know if anyone else will have similar results though.

I exerpienced the exact opposite. The mids got kinda veiled like the westone 4.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,700 of 4,383
Actually it's physics. The closed opening should dampen anything from the mids on up. "Focus on the upper midrange.  Treble comes out quite a bit more as well" is very difficult to explain and I also have Sony Hybrids here.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,701 of 4,383
Hmmm, interesting. The hybrid can be used in two ways. If you push it to the notch on the nozzle it works exactly like Ultrazino says in that the narrow opening dampens the upper mids and treble. But if you push it past that notch it ends up flush with the nozzle and does nothing to impede the sound. At this setting it may provide more seal if you get a better seal from the hybrid material plus it may give an even more clear sound as the nozzle opening will be deeper in the ear. The danger might be wax though especially if you have wet wax as it will easily come in contact with the nozzle opening.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,702 of 4,383
After giving the UE900s another try this evening (after burning them in a bit, on and off, for a day), I'm going to return them.  The combination of fit (the large nozzles don't work well with my ears, making positioning difficult with anything other than the smallest silicon tips), ergonomics (the swivel cable was annoying) and very good but not mind-blowing sound just didn't justify my keeping these for what they cost.  Actually, after spending more time with my C5, I realize that it actually is good enough (to more than good enough) to make the decision easy at this time.  I have no problem with the fit and comfort of the C5, and it's just much easier for me to put on.  Who knows - if the UE900's come down significantly in price, I might reconsider and get a pair later, but for what they go for now (close to MSRP), not worth it for me, although they obviously are great for many users.

I still don't quite understand the pinhole design, because it is so vulnerable to getting clogged.  I own an earpiece dryer for my hearing aids, so with work I would hopefully have been able to keep them open, but the added hassle was another reason to wait and see.  Maybe Logitech will come out with a revised version.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,703 of 4,383
The C5 is definitely a nice IEM and it sounds like you prefer it's signature so I'm glad you found the right choice for you. I, like you have returned or sold several $3-400 IEM's because while,they were nice I just was never blown away by their signature. The diminishing return just wasn't worth it under those conditions.

The UE900 signature suits me better than anything I have tried.

BTW if you have any Sony hybrid tips, give them a try pushing them on to just the first notch (not over it) and see what you think. The fit should be better due to their softer rubber and the nozzle may change the sound to something more to your liking. You still may return the IEM but at least you might have an idea of what a different tip will make in case you can get them at a better sale price down the road.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,704 of 4,383
The C5 is definitely a nice IEM and it sounds like you prefer it's signature so I'm glad you found the right choice for you. I, like you have returned or sold several $3-400 IEM's because while,they were nice I just was never blown away by their signature. The diminishing return just wasn't worth it under those conditions.

The UE900 signature suits me better than anything I have tried.

BTW if you have any Sony hybrid tips, give them a try pushing them on to just the first notch (not over it) and see what you think. The fit should be better due to their softer rubber and the nozzle may change the sound to something more to your liking. You still may return the IEM but at least you might have an idea of what a different tip will make in case you can get them at a better sale price down the road.

I don't have the Sony hybrid tips, but they are cheap enough that I may just order them for kicks and see. The biggest issue I have with these IEMs is that it was just too hard to get a consistent, good placement, and that really affects sound (something that I've noticed with a few other universal IEMs that have larger nozzles). I spent some time listening to my PSB M4U 2's last night after trying the UE900s, and the sound was so much better to me. At one point I toyed with the thought of getting a desktop or portable rig, but PSB's obviate the need for that as someone who uses an iPhone 4S exclusively as a source. I called Westone, and they will release (or re-release) a mic/remote cable that works with the iPhone, and if they do that, my portable needs will be answered. They had a mics cable last year that they did not recommend for use with the iPhone, and I guess they rethought the viability of that product and pulled it. Hopefully, the new cable with be iPhone compatible, have a full 3-button remote, and will be case-compatible. We'll see. Or I may try one of the Hong Kong aftermarket cables you can get off eBay. Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and reactions. Very helpful.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,707 of 4,383
Has anyone here actually owned UE TF10's before getting your UE 900's and  if so did you keep or sell off your TF10's and why?

yes, I sold the TF10 over fit and signature issues (mids were to recessed for me).

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,708 of 4,383
Quote:
Has anyone here actually owned UE TF10's before getting your UE 900's and  if so did you keep or sell off your TF10's and why?

I sold my TF10 because they sound disharmonic to my ears. I think the correct term would be bad phase shifting. Also, they sound very artificial in a fun kind of way.
UE900 has nothing to do with TF10.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,709 of 4,383
Quote:

Even though I loved my TF10s, I just pulled the trigger on the UE 900s knowing I could return in case I didn't think there would be enough bang for the buck. Well, I won't be returning them. The UE 900s are a significant upgrade in fit, comfort, sound, and cable. I will probably give my TF10s to my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back