Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,682 of 4,383
HOLY CRAP!  That is scary.

A $400 IEM aimed at audiophiles.  A regular cable and a phone mic cable and they have different properties that change the sound and there is nothing published on this?

That is seriously WRONG!

Why would they not be the same cable except for color and the mic??

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,683 of 4,383
Have you read the package? It clearly states to use the non MIC braided cable for less interference. I also have a standard and iphone version of the Shure cables from my now defunct SE215 IEM's and there is a sonic difference between the two cables there as well. Not sure why but the MIC and controls do seem to affect the integrity of the signal. I believe other IEM manufacturers point this out and offer models without iphone or android controls for this reason.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,684 of 4,383
From DWeaver: "I like Ultrazino am not a fan of CIEM's my one one foray into that market left me cold as I didn't enjoy the feel of the custom IEM in my ear canal and more importantly I need to take my IEM's out often so found the process to cumbersome."

I am a member of this 'club' - they don't feel good to me either and are quite cumbersome. I guess besides the lack of comfort, I don't have the ability to listen uninterrupted (by people or work) long enough to truly enjoy them.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,685 of 4,383
Well I switched back to the black cable tonight and I have to say I won't be switching back until my android Shure cable arrives and maybe not then. There are just to much subtle changes to the treble and upper mids that I like. It's weird that the subtle added detail would be so appealing but it just is, at least to my ears.

I know I am sounding like a broken record but man do I like how this IEM sounds! It's down right addictive.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,686 of 4,383

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #1,687 of 4,383
Quote:
Well I switched back to the black cable tonight and I have to say I won't be switching back until my android Shure cable arrives and maybe not then. There are just to much subtle changes to the treble and upper mids that I like. It's weird that the subtle added detail would be so appealing but it just is, at least to my ears.

I know I am sounding like a broken record but man do I like how this IEM sounds! It's down right addictive.

Do you think the difference in sound can be the from the difference in resistance between the cables? Or the reaction of the amp (whether in a media player or external headphone amp) to that difference in resistance? 

I once swapped 4 different headphones on on my E07K amp and noticed the 1st one sounded fine but the subsequent 3 sounded somewhat distorted and strained. But when I switched the amp off then back on again between headphone swaps. The ones that onced sounded strained now did not.  

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,689 of 4,383
I don't have enough electronics in my education to explain it properly. But the iPhone controls and MIC definitely will change the electrical properties versus a straight cable. My M80 came with 3 cables and Val was clear that the straight cable was the best musically speaking and there are difference between the different cables.

I do think the non MIC cable is maybe more sensitive but have no way to scientifically show that. I notice better fine detail though which I imagine reflects the higher sensitivity.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #1,690 of 4,383
Well, I just picked up a pair of UE900s at the local Apple store, because I wanted to be able to demo them at length.  I have a great Westone CIEM, but there is no iDevice remote cable for it, and although other may cringe, it makes a huge usability difference for me.  Right out of the box, with Comply tip and doing an A-B comparison to the Westone, it's really no comparison.  Maybe the treble has more energy on the UE900, but the Westone is a significant improvement in the bass and mids, and just has a clarity that is so much more enjoyable.  If you think it's an unfair comparison, it is and it isn't.  I only use the left earpiece because I'm partially deaf, so I could get Ultimate Ears to just make one CIEM (for 50% of the cost of the pair), and then the price gets a bit closer to the UE900 and the fit/isolation would be much better.  On the other hand, I discovered that I can wear the right UE900 earpiece in my left ear without much trouble, so I would have a spare. 

I've always understood that BAs simply do not burn in (even if you believe in burn in generally), but more than one reviewer of the UE900 claims that it improves the sound.  So I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. 

I did compare the UE900 to my B&W C5.  Not surprisingly, the C5 (dynamic driver) has noticeably more bass, but the UE900 beats it pretty much everywhere else.  In fact, you really notice how poor a IEM the C5 is in comparison.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,691 of 4,383
Quote:
Well, I just picked up a pair of UE900s at the local Apple store, because I wanted to be able to demo them at length.  I have a great Westone CIEM, but there is no iDevice remote cable for it, and although other may cringe, it makes a huge usability difference for me.  Right out of the box, with Comply tip and doing an A-B comparison to the Westone, it's really no comparison.  Maybe the treble has more energy on the UE900, but the Westone is a significant improvement in the bass and mids, and just has a clarity that is so much more enjoyable.  If you think it's an unfair comparison, it is and it isn't.  I only use the left earpiece because I'm partially deaf, so I could get Ultimate Ears to just make one CIEM (for 50% of the cost of the pair), and then the price gets a bit closer to the UE900 and the fit/isolation would be much better.  On the other hand, I discovered that I can wear the right UE900 earpiece in my left ear without much trouble, so I would have a spare. 

I've always understood that BAs simply do not burn in (even if you believe in burn in generally), but more than one reviewer of the UE900 claims that it improves the sound.  So I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. 

I did compare the UE900 to my B&W C5.  Not surprisingly, the C5 (dynamic driver) has noticeably more bass, but the UE900 beats it pretty much everywhere else.  In fact, you really notice how poor a IEM the C5 is in comparison.

I totally agree with you on the UE900 vs. C5.  I always love how Bowers and Wilkins stuff sounded, but the C5 is really a labor of love compare to the UE900 due to its poor physcial design and engonmic.  But again for only MSRP $180, the C5 does sound a lot better then most IEMs for that price.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,692 of 4,383
I quite liked the C5, it has amazing bass and pretty darn nice mids and treble. I took mine back because of some pain issues and the fact I would never be able to get the MIC to work with my winphone. But the UE900 is a significant jump in all areas except bass, but I would have accepted nothing less considering the price difference.

I am happy with the UE900 but that is because I like it's treble and midrange presentation but others will appreciate the Westone signature more. Neither is "better" but they will be "better" for each individual. Get the one that's best for you...

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,693 of 4,383
I also like the c5 allot actually...I really don't think it needs to be eqd.. It takes a while to break in..but once they are I think they sound great..how could they not..considering who makes them :) .

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,694 of 4,383
Quote:
I quite liked the C5, it has amazing bass and pretty darn nice mids and treble. I took mine back because of some pain issues and the fact I would never be able to get the MIC to work with my winphone. But the UE900 is a significant jump in all areas except bass, but I would have accepted nothing less considering the price difference.

I am happy with the UE900 but that is because I like it's treble and midrange presentation but others will appreciate the Westone signature more. Neither is "better" but they will be "better" for each individual. Get the one that's best for you...

I think that the C5 sounds too warm and laid back, but they are very forgiving.  I actually don't have an issue with the C5 ergonomics; they fit quite nicely for me, and are quite comfortable.  I really like the design and build quality (cable is still, though).  Even with Comply tips, however, they don't isolate very well (and have a semi-open back).  But once you've heard a really great IEM, there's no going back.  I'm more into detail and space, with great mids, and those are not areas where the C5 excels.

I'm really hoping that the UE900's open up somehow.  So far, I'm a little underwhelmed.  They sound very good (although lighter on the bass than I would prefer), but I was really expecting to be blown away.  The ergonomics could be better, especially the swiveling cable (which is really hard to understand as an issue until you have to deal with it...).  The nozzle is on the bigger side; they fit fine with the small size Comply tips, but those are pretty small with not a lot of material.  Clearly, getting them positioned right is important, and I'm working on that.

I've got two weeks to give them a try.  They are still much cheaper than even a single CIEM from Ultimate Ears (a single 18 Pro, which is a six-driver CIEM, would be twice the cost; the 11 Pro 4-BA model would still be several hundred more), and they do have the nicest remote cable of the high-end universal IEMs.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,695 of 4,383
I never really was able to get the C5 to work out well for me.  The sound was a little too boomy and the mids a little too warm.  It took quite a bit away from the detail, power, and energy in the upper mids.  They were a good IEM, but there was definitely better around.  Never had a fit issue with them though, they actually fit quite comfortably.  Build was fantastic up until the cable :p

I just put some Sony Hybrid tips on my UE 900.  Seems to do quite a bit to them, lowers the mid-to-upper bass bump and has a larger focus on the upper midrange.  Treble comes out quite a bit more as well.  Don't know if anyone else will have similar results though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back