Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,636 of 4,383
Spyro,

Do you change the eq for each song?  Depending on the artist, song and quality of the recording the eq would have to change.  Do you use an external equalizer or an app to eq your IRMs?

I am not saying the Westone 4r is a poor performer but in my opinion, on balance, I enjoy the 535 Special Edition more. It is more just a matter of opinion between the two.  

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #1,638 of 4,383
I had a question about the pinhole issue (or "feature", I guess, depending on one's perspective), and didn't want to finish slogging through all 100 pages of this thread: Has anyone contacted Logitech/UE about the issue, particularly whether the company has a solution for those who want to keep the pinhole open? I'm very interested in these, but would use the Comply "wax-guard" tips top keep the pinhole open. It just seems like a really bad design if the pinhole is critical to the sound signature UE wants. Many thanks.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,640 of 4,383
Quote:
I had a question about the pinhole issue (or "feature", I guess, depending on one's perspective), and didn't want to finish slogging through all 100 pages of this thread: Has anyone contacted Logitech/UE about the issue, particularly whether the company has a solution for those who want to keep the pinhole open? I'm very interested in these, but would use the Comply "wax-guard" tips top keep the pinhole open. It just seems like a really bad design if the pinhole is critical to the sound signature UE wants. Many thanks.

Just put them in a dry box. That's what they are for. I'm sure that's also what Logitech would recommend as its common maintenance.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #1,641 of 4,383
Quote:

Look what happened when i tried taking out my ue900 from my ears.
frown.gif

Eeewww... that doesn't look good at all. Looks like that bent metal plate is only attached to the housing by an adhesive that failed. Kind of poor in design maybe?
Or is it because you grabbed it by the wires (and not the housing) when you pulled them out?

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,642 of 4,383
Quote:
Eeewww... that doesn't look good at all. Looks like that bent metal plate is only attached to the housing by an adhesive that failed. Kind of poor in design maybe?
Or is it because you grabbed it by the wires (and not the housing) when you pulled them out?

Yes I agree. No i took it off normally as anybody would and it just fell off. Very disappointed in the build quality. Thing is, when i reported this to Logitech in Beijing they asked me to pay around $50, without any inspection. Right on the spot, even if it broke by itself. I don't think i'm ever buying another UE product, used to have UE 3 and 10 which also succumb to bad quality.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,643 of 4,383
That remember me my TF10, I got the same problem and the cable fail also after a few months with bad contacts, now their are unbalanced !

I was hoping that Logitech increase the build quality with their new flagship ... but no !

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,644 of 4,383
I remember when first seeing UE900 design I mentioned that being a possible weak point. My post is In the first pages of this thread. This won't be the last one we see IMO.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,645 of 4,383
Sorry to see all the problems you guys are having. I also had issues with the blue mic cable but Logitech sent me a replacement without hesitation. Additionally they also packed in an additional black cable and a new set of silicone tips. I was very pleased.

But the bad build quality will probably lead to a price drop in the future. That is good news. I'd buy a second pair at 300$ and a third pair at 200$.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,646 of 4,383
I'm about to pick a set, was wondering someone with a Samsung Ativ said he needed an adapter to make the mic work, will that be also an issue with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and does the remote work.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,647 of 4,383
So many issues on this thread that this just has to be said: only buy the IE900 from retailers that are reliable & fast when it comes to warranty work. I´m still looking at buying one soon if I see one locally for a decent price, but won´t buy from an online store this time! I feel bad for the engineers responsible for the driver tuning - it´s like building an engine for an F1 racing car which is then put into a cardboard box with wheels...

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,648 of 4,383
I mentioned the Ativ, but I actually own the Nokia 920 which definitely needs an adapter to make the microphone work (strangely enough the middle button works for skipping songs etc). I am unsure whether my issue will be the same on Samsung.

my pair has had zero issues so far (knock on wood). But the QC of these does suggest they will drop in price and like ultrazino I will gladly take advantage of that price drop.

I do suggest people buy from sources with a return policy though or demand a copy of the invoice if buying used as these do seem to have issues. You want the receipt for warranty and you want a return policy so you don't have to sell the IEM if you decide you don't like it as the resell value on this IEM is taking a hit due to the QC issues.

In my case I won't be reselling my pair pair time soon :). I am very happy with this IEM, more so than anything I have bought in the past couple of years.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,649 of 4,383
hmmm, interesting. I received my Fiio adapter that was going to hopefully allow me to use the mic on the iphone cable with my Nokia 920... IT FAILED :frowning2:

So in frustration O pulled out my iPhone 4 and decided to switch back to it since it also has an app I like for work that is not available on my Windows phone yet.

I am surprised at how much warmer and fuzzy the iPhone is compared to my Nokia 920. I am going to charge both for the night and take them with me to work. I will A/B a little bit more. But I like the 920 enough I think I will tough it out that I don't have a working mic on my phone. At least I can use the skip function.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,650 of 4,383
Quote:
Yes I agree. No i took it off normally as anybody would and it just fell off. Very disappointed in the build quality. Thing is, when i reported this to Logitech in Beijing they asked me to pay around $50, without any inspection. Right on the spot, even if it broke by itself. I don't think i'm ever buying another UE product, used to have UE 3 and 10 which also succumb to bad quality.

Now they said that they can't fix it, and nothing can be done. It is such a disgrace that they won't take any responsibility whatever. I paid around 500 dollars when it first came out and now they won't do anything
angry_face.gif
? Even if it's the products fault? If the product can't be fixed, does anybody have an idea how to get heard about this issue? I hope no one will be as unfortunate as me. I'm thinking  just to get heard if 500 dollars is the price of honesty from logitech's side I will let it go
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back