Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,591 of 4,383
Have you tried the other cable to see if it has the same issue. I believe there are some posts describing some ways to fix this as well.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,593 of 4,383
Quote:
Same issue, but on the other side lol

I don't think there is anything to clean since they are new. But I might just don't get what u mean  =(
Will try though.. just brushing around :p

When something gets off the assembly line, it may not be clear of all its residue.  Some manufacturers will actually coat it to protect the part until it's used.  I'm going with the first one though, it wasn't intentional, but was there.  

I know my Meze headphones I recently received had some nice dried oil on it.  I was able to rub it off with my finger (heat + friction).  My fingers smelled like machines, but soap and water fixed that :p

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #1,594 of 4,383
wow.. I didnt see any residue. But u were spot on... No problems anymore. Thank you, you made my day 

beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,595 of 4,383
Quote:
wow.. I didnt see any residue. But u were spot on... No problems anymore. Thank you, you made my day 

beerchug.gif

Well, it may no be residue, but that's what it seems like it most likely is. There is an additional coating that needs to be rubbed off. I didn't see it on my Meze headphone jack until I started rubbing. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,597 of 4,383
Quote:
Does anyone know, how these compare to the MTPC's, Shure 535 and Westone 3/4? I have a hard time considering what to purchase :)

Lots of comparisons to the 535 and Westone 4R on this thread; not sure anyone has compared them to the MTPC's, which I guess may tell you something (either about the MTPCs or the biases on this site...).  I'm really looking at the UE 900's closely.  The "small bore" issue is a little annoying, in that although I'll stipulate that it may make things sound better when clogged up, that does seem like a very poor design.  Probably will get the comply's with wax guard if I get them. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,598 of 4,383
I have owned the MTPC, in comparison the UE900 is way ahead technically with more detail. The MTPC has more bass quantity but is not as articulate and has a larger mid-bass and less sub bass. The mids of the MTPC are dryer sounding while have less detail. The UE900 is slightly warm but not overly so with great detail and transparency. THE MTPC's treble comes across as a bit hot and splashy. The UE900 on the other hand is extended, crisp, and very clean. I think the sound stage is also won by the UE900 as is instrument separation and placement. Finally I find the UE900 easier to pit in place and then just enjoy the music as compared to having to,constantly fiddle with the MTPC in ear.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,599 of 4,383
Hi all,

So I sold off my collection to include a set of Shure SE535s, to buy a set of UE900s from Amazon serial (1243), they sound amazing, and are the best universal I've ever heard hands down. Spacious, open, neutral but enough to satisfy and surpass my needs across the spectrum of music I like..

The problem I've seen so far is quality. My first gripe is the cable, the iphone controls and mic stopped working on two of the blue cables already from sweat probably at the gym. I'm on my third cable. As much as I disliked the Shure mic cable it never stopped working after getting a little sweat in it. Last week the right drivers stopped working I noticed it during a run and thought it was maybe something in the filter but some of the drives stopped working. I just received a replacement set from amazon another set ending in (1243) I dont plan to stop running in them. This is one of precious moments in my day when I want to hear quality music, and with the Shures and other IEMs they can handle the abuse, and frankly should, heck a set of 20 dollar in ears last longer. I expect for 400 Euro performance so if they stop working this time around I'll probably return them for a set of W4s or something else. Now I'm starting to miss the Shure SE535s I had they were tanks..

take care,

E

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,600 of 4,383
You should look into the Fischer Amps FA-3 (E). The E has a different housing but the cheaper one is made from aluminum. Both versions are built like tanks.
Sonically they easily beat the SE535 and are close to the UE900.

http://fischer-amps.de/in-ear-hoerer-gehoerschutz/fischer-amps-in-ear-hoerer-fa-serie-fa-e-serie/browse/1/artikel/buttkicker-gamer-wieder-erhaeltlich/17/akkus-ladegeraete.html

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,601 of 4,383
Hey guys trying to decide between the UE900's or Westone 3's. Music I like to listen to are bands like, Rammstein, Incubus, koRn, Garbage, Bjork, Tool, Weezer, Dr Dre, Prince, Snoop Dogg, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, Beach Boys, Beatles, movie soundtracks like Inception, Dark Knight Rises, Batman (1989) etc. So kind of a broad spectrum of tunes. I can't stand listening to music which is just crap sounding and nothing but treble, I like having awesome sound quality. I really like hearing & feeling the bass on songs, drums etc and like my highs to have clarity and be clear, not muffled or ear piercing though. I also like good isolation & sound stage. I also tend to listen to music with  V shape EQ to boost the bass and treble.

I currently have a pair of V-Moda M100's which I cannot recommend enough, they are amazing! I luv the bass they produce as well as the clarity of the highs, they have such awesome sound quality. So I am kind of hoping that I can get something close to M100 sounding. 

I plan on using the IEM's with my Sony Walkman mp3 player. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,602 of 4,383
Rob,

Instead of Westone W3 with just 3 Balance Armature, try Westone W4, with 4 BA, that should be a fair comparison with UE900 which is also 4 BA.
as for my personal listening IEM, I'm inclined towards Westone W4, but that just me who doesn't like bright and sparkly Treble.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,603 of 4,383
Quote:
Rob,

Instead of Westone W3 with just 3 Balance Armature, try Westone W4, with 4 BA, that should be a fair comparison with UE900 which is also 4 BA.
as for my personal listening IEM, I'm inclined towards Westone W4, but that just me who doesn't like bright and sparkly Treble.

Hi JohnSantan thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the W4's but from what I have read they don't have as much bass as the W3's but now I have just read that the W4R's have improved bass over the W4's. Currently I own a pair of V-Moda M100's which I really like, so would like something close to those in an IEM. Have you listened to the W4R's or UE900?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,604 of 4,383
Quote:
Rob,

Interesting.  I have a Westone ES5 (actually, only the left one because I am partially deaf, so the cable is wired by Westone to put both channels into a single IEM), and the one criticism I have with it is that the treble is too smooth/inoffensive.  Bass and mids are incredible, and certainly the treble has great clarity, but it likes the "sizzle" or sparkle that I love.  That's actually why I'm leaning towards to the UE900.  I can at least listen to it and then decide whether the SQ matches what I'm looking for (and return it if it doesn't); with a custom IEM, you gets what you gets.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,605 of 4,383
Hi JohnSantan thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the W4's but from what I have read they don't have as much bass as the W3's but now I have just read that the W4R's have improved bass over the W4's. Currently I own a pair of V-Moda M100's which I really like, so would like something close to those in an IEM. Have you listened to the W4R's or UE900?

Both the W4 and W4R are the same except that W4R empowers a removable cable. I've heard both the 4R and the UE900. My decision was to go with the 4R. In my opinions, both are great IEMs and they definitely doesn't lack bass. The bass on 4R is very well textured and goes really deep. It's more of a quality bass instead of overwhelming bass quantity. Bass on the UE900 however does fall slightly behind the 4R. That said, the 900 does not lack in the bass department just that the 4R does have a slight bass advantage over the 900.
The 900 I would place it along the line of neutrality compared to 4R. The 4R is more of a balanced earphones that juggles everything nicely without placing emphasis particularly on any region. It does have a very slight bass boost however. This makes the 4R a little warmer than the 900 and the mids more smoothing. The 900 on the other hand, does have slightly better clarity due to its flatter presentation of music and lesser bass boost. However I do find the 900 a little fatiguing.
In terms of build quality, the 4R triumphs over the 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back