Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,441 of 4,383
Quote:
Any members of this thread have any experience with the GR07 BE and the BA200s? I have both now and wondering if the UE900 is worth the upgrade. Also, i'm not as concerned with the quality control issues as I have had great customer service with UE in the past.

Burn in the GR07s before you return them - they'll grow on you.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,443 of 4,383
Quote:
The serial number on my pair starts with 1237. I'm not sure if I should go for a replacement or just return them. Has anyone who has had this issue gotten a new pair that didn't have this problem?

I got my replacement a couple of days ago directly from Logitech. It took about 9 days from when I first opened the ticket to receiving the replacement. They sent a brand new pair, serial number starting with 1243. I'm happy to say no problems so far! 

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,444 of 4,383
Hi fellows,

This is my first post, I´d like to share my experience with the UE900. I am a professional musician (keyboardist), I use in-ear monitoring on stage on a regular basis. I´m not a native english speaker so I´ll try to explain myself the best I could! :wink:

Today I received my UE900s, was blown away with their sound quality, transparency and detail. Just found the treble (around 10-12khz) a tad too exaggerated for my like... the build and cable quality seems to be fragile, but time will tell.

IMO they sound WAY better than my Shure SE425s, which lacked on both the low and high end (they have a pronounced rolloff), lacked in detail and soundstage (they sounded like way too "in-your-face", like they were monaural). Also their low-mid range lacks some definition. The UE900s are a great improvement and definitely worth the price.
In my opinion, the UE900´s sound signature is similar to my Beyerdynamic DT770 cans, which I like very much.

I am aware of the issues that some of you guys are having with the UE900, like distortion and sudden cut-outs; I´d like to share with you something I discovered about this; maybe it could be helpful.

THE PROBLEM:
- When I first put them on, I played a song on my iPhone. Then, I pressed the R side firmly inside my ear canal -to get a better seal-, then... i heard the sound distorted and suddenly cut out for a second... then back to normal. Then, I pulled the earpiece out a little, and again... distortion and a membrane-like sound (like a candy wrap).
I was using the single-flange (soft, light-gray) tips.

SO, I figured out -at least on my case- that this problem was NOT a connector issue; It was caused by the vacuum that is created in the moment between pressing and releasing the earpiece inside the ear canal (when it settles to its final position). The seal of the gray tips is fully hermetic, so this also happens when you pull out the earpiece, the vacuum affects the membrane inside the transducer(s).
NOTE: This DOES NOT happen with the black foam tips. Given their porous material, they will not form sufficient vacuum.

THE SOLUTION
So, a transitory solution was punching 4 tiny little holes in the tip flange (on the sides), with a fine needle. Note that these holes are not visible, and they will not affect the seal in any way; they will let air in only when you move or pull out the earpiece.
These holes act now like tiny "pressure-relief" valves, so, when you pull out or move the ear piece, the holes will let some air to get inside the ear canal, preventing the vacuum to form.

Just my two cents about this issue, I hope it will be helpful for some of you! Maybe this could be obvious but it just worked right for me.

Best regards, and greetings from Chile,
Cristóbal Platz

PD: number printed on the plug: 1243

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,445 of 4,383
Hm, that's actually very interesting Platz.  So you feel the distortion is caused by driver flex (possibly)?  In this case it would actually be the tip flexing, as I do get that, but it's not the driver causing distortion.  

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #1,446 of 4,383
Quote:
Hm, that's actually very interesting Platz.  So you feel the distortion is caused by driver flex (possibly)?  In this case it would actually be the tip flexing, as I do get that, but it's not the driver causing distortion.  

Hi Tinyman,

I did a search about this phenomenon, and yes, it seems to be driver flex. And you´re right, I double checked them and they still distort when pressing them firmly (even with the holes in the rubber tip). I reckon this happened as well with my SE425s now and then.

Actually the issue was more noticeable when I pulled the earpieces out than when I pressed them. Now with the little holes I made to the rubber tip flanges, at least the distortion is gone when pulling them out, so I guess the problem is a combination of tip flexing (when pushing) + driver flex (when pulling).  

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,447 of 4,383
Quote:
Hi Tinyman,

I did a search about this phenomenon, and yes, it seems to be driver flex. And you´re right, I double checked them and they still distort when pressing them firmly (even with the holes in the rubber tip). I reckon this happened as well with my SE425s now and then.

Actually the issue was more noticeable when I pulled the earpieces out than when I pressed them. Now with the little holes I made to the rubber tip flanges, at least the distortion is gone when pulling them out, so I guess the problem is a combination of tip flexing (when pushing) + driver flex (when pulling).  

It's good to see that you found out what caused it for you.  I don't want to take the words away from others though, as it is possible that there are some models that actually distort.  The cutting off of audio you described earlier was actually due to the cable connection.  It seems that yours went away (like mine did; UE still wanted to see my UE 900 though).  It's quite possible that this could be what others are experiencing, but it's still possible its actual distortion as they seem to say it increases with volume (driver flex would happen independent of volume).  Thanks for the input though, I do get some driver flex from these (with jaw movements though).  If inserted properly though, I can eliminate them all.  

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,448 of 4,383
alright!... thanks for your help and comments, Tinyman.

I almost forgot to say, the Shure SE cables are 100% compatible with the UE900; I tried mine, sounded ok but (maybe!!) noticed a sliiiight difference in treble response (slightly lower)... or was just my head..?

Best Regards!
Cristóbal

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,450 of 4,383
Quote:
If I enjoy forward mids will the UE 900's be able to keep me satisfied?

Should be, as I do think that the UE 900 mids are decently forward.  But of course I am not you, so please go try it out yourself if possible.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #1,451 of 4,383
Quote:
Had over 150 hours on them. They are on their way back to Amazon. Can't hold a candle to what I am hearing from the UE900s. I didn't even like them nearly as much as the BA200s. Just too congested and sibilant.

Interesting - I'm ready to move on from the 07s even though I really dig them. I'm going to wait awhile and see what else VSonic has in the next few months. The Hifiman RE-400 seem pretty good, too (according to project86's review) and are cheaper...if nothing else sways me, than I'll probably get a set of 4Ais from Heir. Too bad the build quality of the UE900 is suspect; enough people rave about them to be under heavy consideration.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,452 of 4,383
Great news: I received my replacement UE 900s this morning (took awhile because Amazon was out of stock) and it's batch number 1243.
They sound absolutely amazing, almost amazing enough to make me forget about that horrible experience last week!

I am tempted to swap in the black cables just to be sure everything's working fine but can't convince myself to tempt faith after having experienced the faulty 1234 batch last week.

To note, mine are from batch 1242, been using them daily for a little over a month now , no issues whatsoever.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,453 of 4,383
Quote:
To note, mine are from batch 1242, been using them daily for a little over a month now , no issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Interesting - I'm ready to move on from the 07s even though I really dig them. I'm going to wait awhile and see what else VSonic has in the next few months. The Hifiman RE-400 seem pretty good, too (according to project86's review) and are cheaper...if nothing else sways me, than I'll probably get a set of 4Ais from Heir. Too bad the build quality of the UE900 is suspect; enough people rave about them to be under heavy consideration.

Exactly. Mine are from 1243 and I think UE has gotten through the batch with issues and addressed it. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,454 of 4,383
Quote:
Or does anyone think the shure 535s should be in this discussion? 

Hey guys,
Been reading these forums forever, but finally made an account today. Was looking for a new set of IEM's to replace my SE530's (cable problem) a month ago and was deciding between these and the SE535 red limited editions as I've always wanted them. Bought a pair of UE900 from local apple store and they totally blew my mind. Thought the soundstage was more open, detailed, and found more extension in the low end than my SE530s. Already sold the SE530s so didnt have them to do A/B comparisons with. Used them for about 2-3 weeks and no issues with the cabling like some of you guys have here, but for whatever reason decided to return them and order the Red SE535's (probably more of a brand loyalty thing, since i've owned the e2Cs, SE210s, and SE530's). Nonetheless they are both great IEMs. Will probably buy another set of UE900s if the price ever drops. They are definately a step up from the Triple Fi.10s (which i also own).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back