Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,261 of 4,383
I'm torn between the PFE 232 and the UE 900. I've been reading both threads and they both seem like they have good things and bad things about them. I prefer a slight bass emphasis but I don't want to sacrifice the mids and highs. I was able to try out the UE 900 today and the sound pretty much matches my personal taste. I would prefer a slight more slight bass emphasis for mobile listening without resorting to my FiiO E17. The E17 is mostly used at home and I don't want to lug it around with me just to get some extra bass out of it. I'll be using it with an iPhone 4 and the UE 900 seems very efficient. I don't know how efficient the PFE 232 is compared to the UE 900. Just need to know how efficient the PFE 232 is compared to the UE 900 driving it off the iPhone 4 and how bass is compared to the UE 900. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,262 of 4,383
Quote:
I'm torn between the PFE 232 and the UE 900. I've been reading both threads and they both seem like they have good things and bad things about them. I prefer a slight bass emphasis but I don't want to sacrifice the mids and highs. I was able to try out the UE 900 today and the sound pretty much matches my personal taste. I would prefer a slight more slight bass emphasis for mobile listening without resorting to my FiiO E17. The E17 is mostly used at home and I don't want to lug it around with me just to get some extra bass out of it. I'll be using it with an iPhone 4 and the UE 900 seems very efficient. I don't know how efficient the PFE 232 is compared to the UE 900. Just need to know how efficient the PFE 232 is compared to the UE 900 driving it off the iPhone 4 and how bass is compared to the UE 900. 

The 232 is less efficient than the UE 900.  A mobile will still be able to drive it fine though.  The 232s will offer a bit more bass, as well as a bit more treble.  The result may end up effecting the midrange a tad.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,263 of 4,383
Quote:

The 232 is less efficient than the UE 900.  A mobile will still be able to drive it fine though.  The 232s will offer a bit more bass, as well as a bit more treble.  The result may end up effecting the midrange a tad.  

From reading both the threads, this seems like what most users are saying about these two IEMs. I have the PFE 022 with the black filters. Is the upgrade from the 022 to the 232 warranted? I really enjoy the sound of the UE 900 and I could clearly tell the difference listening between the 022 and the UE 900. I remember in one of the threads that you stated that the 232 is similar to the 112 with more clarity and refinement in all aspects. Just need to know if they're worth the upgrade considering the price difference. Or I can just hold out until the price comes down. I'm a college student so being frugal with money is a must. xD

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,264 of 4,383
Quote:

From reading both the threads, this seems like what most users are saying about these two IEMs. I have the PFE 022 with the black filters. Is the upgrade from the 022 to the 232 warranted? I really enjoy the sound of the UE 900 and I could clearly tell the difference listening between the 022 and the UE 900. I remember in one of the threads that you stated that the 232 is similar to the 112 with more clarity and refinement in all aspects. Just need to know if they're worth the upgrade considering the price difference. Or I can just hold out until the price comes down. I'm a college student so being frugal with money is a must. xD

A four hundred dollar difference may not be 100% worth in terms of sonic ability.  However, the PFE with black filters is very similar to the 232 with grey filters, but again, as I stated, with better clarity and detailing in the midrange.  Bass also digs a bit deeper as well.  Highs extend higher, but are well controlled.  The weakness in both is still the midrange.  I'm going to say this decision will come down to preference though. If you want a sound closer to the PFE with black filters, you may want to consider the PFE232 a bit.  If you want a closer to neutral sound (although not as neutral as the PFE with grey filters), the UE 900 may be the better bet.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #1,265 of 4,383
Quote:

A four hundred dollar difference may not be 100% worth in terms of sonic ability.  However, the PFE with black filters is very similar to the 232 with grey filters, but again, as I stated, with better clarity and detailing in the midrange.  Bass also digs a bit deeper as well.  Highs extend higher, but are well controlled.  The weakness in both is still the midrange.  I'm going to say this decision will come down to preference though. If you want a sound closer to the PFE with black filters, you may want to consider the PFE232 a bit.  If you want a closer to neutral sound (although not as neutral as the PFE with grey filters), the UE 900 may be the better bet.  

I did hear the UE 900 and I did enjoy its sound signature. Just wished that there was a slight bass emphasis. Does the UE 900 benefit from burn in at all? I'm leaning towards the UE 900 because they're more comfortable to my ears. Doesn't go in too deep in my ear canal and the isolation is better compared to the 022. The 232 uses the same silicon eartips I presume so the isolation would probably be the same.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,266 of 4,383
Quote:

I did hear the UE 900 and I did enjoy its sound signature. Just wished that there was a slight bass emphasis. Does the UE 900 benefit from burn in at all? I'm leaning towards the UE 900 because they're more comfortable to my ears. Doesn't go in too deep in my ear canal and the isolation is better compared to the 022. The 232 uses the same silicon eartips I presume so the isolation would probably be the same.  

As you use the UE 900, you may notice a sharp drop in bass over time (it will begin to sound more and more like the PFE 122 + grey filters).  If you are one to clear your ears of wax daily, you may not notice this though.  What ends up happening is that the smaller, skinny bore will fill up with ear wax over time.  This actually ends up controlling the bass quite a bit.  The isolation of the 232 is the same compared to the 022 I have.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,267 of 4,383
Quote:

Heard some good things about the HE-400.  Never heard them though.  I know I'm enjoying the RE-400 just about as much as I'm enjoying the UE 900 (preference deal).  

I just prefer full size. Was blown away by UE 900 but already had my prefect sonic balance in my Miles Davis Trumpets and my Brainwavs B2. So sold them for HE-400 

But again, anybody who needs more from their universals, the UE 900 are phenomenal.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,268 of 4,383
It has been over a month since I bought the UE900 and I'm still amazed everytime I put these awesome IEMs on and can't help saying "OMG". I've auditioned both UM3X and Westone 4 and I didnt like their sound signature. Westone 4 sound too distant and the UE900 was an instant love when I listened to it. This IEM ain't cheap but I can assure you it will be with you for at least a few years and it's really value for money.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,269 of 4,383
Quote:
It has been over a month since I bought the UE900 and I'm still amazed everytime I put these awesome IEMs on and can't help saying "OMG". I've auditioned both UM3X and Westone 4 and I didnt like their sound signature. Westone 4 sound too distant and the UE900 was an instant love when I listened to it. This IEM ain't cheap but I can assure you it will be with you for at least a few years and it's really value for money.

Glad you found something you like and love.  I can definitely see why you felt the W4 as being too "distant".  Some people actually prefer that type of sound stage, nothing really wrong with it (nothing really wrong either way).  Between the W4 and UE 900, it's a lot of the give and take game IMO.  Although I did feel the W4 was technically better, I still prefer the UE 900.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,270 of 4,383
Quote:

As far as i remember, the 232 will gives you a more laidback and bassier sound. The UE900 will give you a more "fun" soundsignature

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,271 of 4,383
Over the past wk my ue 900 needs more power to sound good. Has this happen to any one else. For example , before a wk ago I usually kept the volume at about 65 percent for it to sound good and anything over would hurt my ears but this past wk I had to turn it up to 80 Percent to enjoy it now. Is this normal or is my 900 defected

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,272 of 4,383
That hasn't happened to me. Although to reach the same original bass levels, you will have to up the volume over time if the narrow nozzle has become filled with time. I don't suggest doing this though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,273 of 4,383
Its not just the bas it's the overall volume and also before it would be easy for me to get lost in the music unless I force my self to focus on it but now I can focus on it with ease. The pin hole dost seem block when I check

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,274 of 4,383
Quote:
Its not just the bas it's the overall volume and also before it would be easy for me to get lost in the music unless I force my self to focus on it but now I can focus on it with ease. The pin hole dost seem block when I check

I'm going to have to paraphrase Rin here, just because you can't see it blocked doesn't mean it is.  If you feel it's a volume thing, yours may be defective; possibly contact Logitech.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,275 of 4,383
Im going to just try and get a replacement. What's weird is that at 80 percent the bass is not even close to how it use to be but it sounds like how it should sound with the pin hole block. Mid bass reduction with stronger sub bass and the bass as a whole more controlled and the mids are better also. I enjoy the sound change but just find the volume thing strange idk what would cause this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back