Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,247 of 4,383
Quote:
Damn I want those
frown.gif
Anyone here from Singapore who knows where I can get silicone ear tips made?

Ace hearing. 23-01 Ngee ann city

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,248 of 4,383
Hi everyone!

First post in Head Fi!

Enjoying my set of UE900s... absolutely love them.

Graduating from Klipsch s4i (which I loved) but unfortunately they went on a walkabout (translation: I lost them!
triportsad.gif
)

Auditioned a few IEMs... SE535 (which I was initially certain I'd go home with, since they looked so damn good!), IE80, 4R, UM3x, etc..

It was a close tie with UM3x... but ended up going with these on account of their 'universality', the fact they gave me the biggest grin, and the great deal I got on them!

(if anyone in Singapore's interested, message me!)

Currently using them with a humble S3 + DoubleTwist app...

Presently tumbling down the rabbit hole trying to figure out this whole Siyah Kernel business... and waiting on some mythical being named Supercurio everyone keeps talking about to release some newfangled app!

NEARLY bought a Fiio E17 (but thankfully did my research here first and realised - with one or 2 exceptions - digital out probably won't work!! - thanks NZtechfreak!!)

Then considered an iBasso D12... then thought pfffft - I'll try and figure out the kernel business first.  Half considered an E7, but then took a step back and asked myself:  Do I really NEED this? Is this really going to bring the best out of my newfound IEMs? Or am I n00b spending money I don't have for the sake of spending money?!

Figured I'd see what I could squeeze out from my S3 first...

Also looking at changing to PowerAmp as a cheap first step...

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,250 of 4,383
Quote:
Hi everyone!

First post in Head Fi!

Enjoying my set of UE900s... absolutely love them.

Graduating from Klipsch s4i (which I loved) but unfortunately they went on a walkabout (translation: I lost them!
triportsad.gif
)

Auditioned a few IEMs... SE535 (which I was initially certain I'd go home with, since they looked so damn good!), IE80, 4R, UM3x, etc..

It was a close tie with UM3x... but ended up going with these on account of their 'universality', the fact they gave me the biggest grin, and the great deal I got on them!

(if anyone in Singapore's interested, message me!)

Currently using them with a humble S3 + DoubleTwist app...

Presently tumbling down the rabbit hole trying to figure out this whole Siyah Kernel business... and waiting on some mythical being named Supercurio everyone keeps talking about to release some newfangled app!

NEARLY bought a Fiio E17 (but thankfully did my research here first and realised - with one or 2 exceptions - digital out probably won't work!! - thanks NZtechfreak!!)

Then considered an iBasso D12... then thought pfffft - I'll try and figure out the kernel business first.  Half considered an E7, but then took a step back and asked myself:  Do I really NEED this? Is this really going to bring the best out of my newfound IEMs? Or am I n00b spending money I don't have for the sake of spending money?!

Figured I'd see what I could squeeze out from my S3 first...

Also looking at changing to PowerAmp as a cheap first step...

Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet!

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,251 of 4,383
So I got my pair the day after Christmas, and after a few days of listening and tinkering with the fit, I have to say WOW.  Really natural treble, and quite audible but not overwhelming bass.  Probably the most well balanced set of phones I've ever had.  Treble took a bit of getting used to at first since it is not as forward as most of my previous IEMs.  When breaking in new phones, I generally use Radiohead as my reference, and I was hearing things, in songs I've I heard a zillion times before, that I hadn't heard before.  And they FIT.  Am using an XXS silicon tip in the left and a M tip on the right, tried the complys (S left and M right) but they didn't work for me.  Still getting great seal and isolation though, did not hear anything besides the music on a recent flight, the flight attendant had to tap me on the shoulder to tell me when I had to put the electronics away.  Loving these!

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,252 of 4,383
I have a question on UE900.

Saw an earlier post about distortion at higher volumes.  Can anyone attest to this?  Granted it might be pretty high volumes but will the UE900 start to distort?  Very curious as this is a deal breaker to me.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #1,253 of 4,383
Quote:
I have a question on UE900.

Saw an earlier post about distortion at higher volumes.  Can anyone attest to this?  Granted it might be pretty high volumes but will the UE900 start to distort?  Very curious as this is a deal breaker to me.

I have never heard any distortion when listening  at volume levels that I could stand to listen to for more than a second.

IMHO, if you're listening loud enough to distort these, you are DEFINITELY hurting you hearing, and quite possibly causing permanent damage!

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,255 of 4,383
Quote:
No, that's fine.  Just checking.   Sometimes if you try to add some bass EQ and crank it up, the IEM just can't handle it.

Well, I haven't heard any distortion at any rate...  But I don't crank my bass.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,256 of 4,383
As much as I love my new 900s, are there aftermarket cables available so I don't have to use the loop over the ears black one that came with the package?

I also notice the connectors have audio dropouts most certainly due to bad contact when no pressure was applied, has anyone figured out a way to remedy that?

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,257 of 4,383
Quote:
As much as I love my new 900s, are there aftermarket cables available so I don't have to use the loop over the ears black one that came with the package?
I also notice the connectors have audio dropouts most certainly due to bad contact when no pressure was applied, has anyone figured out a way to remedy that?

I have had very few issues, but I did dress my connectors with a little Deoxit.  Try that, maybe it will help.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,259 of 4,383
Officially sold my UE 900. I really, really, really was impressed by them - the best universals I've heard to this day - but to me, they were more valuable as cold, hard cash so I could finally buy the HE-400.

Keep enjoying 'em, ya'll.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,260 of 4,383
Quote:
Officially sold my UE 900. I really, really, really was impressed by them - the best universals I've heard to this day - but to me, they were more valuable as cold, hard cash so I could finally buy the HE-400.

Keep enjoying 'em, ya'll.

Heard some good things about the HE-400.  Never heard them though.  I know I'm enjoying the RE-400 just about as much as I'm enjoying the UE 900 (preference deal).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back