Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #961 of 4,383
Quote:
I wonder if there's any chance these will go up for sale on black Friday?  I lost my TF10s at the gym about a week ago.  :frowning2:

Doubt it...  I think |Joker| said it best, it took the TF10 3 years to drop in price...

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #962 of 4,383
Alright then - either HD-25-1 ii or Brainwavz B2s for the gym!  Bonus about B2s is I can wear them under mah motorcycle helmet (motorcycle is my only vehicle).  Bonus for the Senns is that I'm unlikely to lose them.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #963 of 4,383
Quote:
I wonder if there's any chance these will go up for sale on black Friday?  I lost my TF10s at the gym about a week ago.  :frowning2:

I doubt it too, but if they do I am calling some favors PRONTO!!! LOL.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #964 of 4,383
Finally I have a proper time to listening UE900 today, and simply it's my most favourite universal IEM ever. (Well, TG334 is still a better IEM, but if I have to consider the cost, then the UE is still take the lead)

In some ways this baby UE has similiarity as the elder brother TF10, it has pretty good with rock songs, though in different ways. UE900 definitely has smoother sounding, no matter what recording or what set up I tried. 

Midrange is what make the UE900 very special, it sound forward, aggresive, and I can't notice any "dryness" that I found in many BA IEMs (include TF10, W4R, etc). While has aggresive sounding, somehow sibilance is take a very little part here, even when I tried with song that have poor mainstream recording. With good recording, it's totally sibilance free. Nicely done!

In bass area, I think UE900 has better technicalities as they have better extension, deep goes down and more linear sounding, though the impact is still below the TF10.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #965 of 4,383
Quote:
Finally I have a proper time to listening UE900 today, and simply it's my most favourite universal IEM ever. (Well, TG334 is still a better IEM, but if I have to consider the cost, then the UE is still take the lead)

In some ways this baby UE has similiarity as the elder brother TF10, it has pretty good with rock songs, though in different ways. UE900 definitely has smoother sounding, no matter what recording or what set up I tried. 

Midrange is what make the UE900 very special, it sound forward, aggresive, and I can't notice any "dryness" that I found in many BA IEMs (include TF10, W4R, etc). While has aggresive sounding, somehow sibilance is take a very little part here, even when I tried with song that have poor mainstream recording. With good recording, it's totally sibilance free. Nicely done!

In bass area, I think UE900 has better technicalities as they have better extension, deep goes down and more linear sounding, though the impact is still below the TF10.

How would it compare to the 4ai's in your opinion?

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #966 of 4,383
@tinyman392

I liked your comparison earlier of which included the Heir Audio 3ai. I was wondering about that particular IEM since its the cheapest of the ones you compared. Would you say it had the best bass of the bunch? And have you tried it with the optional Magnus 1 cable. I'm really wanting to get the UE 900 but if its not going to be that much of an upgrade from the 3ai I would like to save some money, and I do love bass alot, but I want the rest of the spectrum to be pretty solid as well. Also with the money I save getting the 3ai I was thinking I could buy the optional cable, I know that it has better build quility and a potential for improving the sound at least slightly.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #967 of 4,383
Quote:
@tinyman392

I liked your comparison earlier of which included the Heir Audio 3ai. I was wondering about that particular IEM since its the cheapest of the ones you compared. Would you say it had the best bass of the bunch? And have you tried it with the optional Magnus 1 cable. I'm really wanting to get the UE 900 but if its not going to be that much of an upgrade from the 3ai I would like to save some money, and I do love bass alot, but I want the rest of the spectrum to be pretty solid as well. Also with the money I save getting the 3ai I was thinking I could buy the optional cable, I know that it has better build quility and a potential for improving the sound at least slightly.

I have not been able to test the Mangus cable on anything.  If I were to choose the best bass of the bunch it would more likely than not be the Phonak PFE 232, then the 3.Ai, then the W4, then the UE900, then the B2.  The magnitudes like this PFE232 > 3.Ai >= W4 == UE 900 > B2.  In quantity, we would have the 3.Ai > PFE232 > W4 > UE 900 > B2.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #968 of 4,383
^ I'll loudly disagree with PFE having better bass than UE900 as I did an A/B comparison of the two just a few days ago. The bass of the UE is much more detailed than the 232.

My only gripe with the UE900 is the veil and recessed highs. Isn't anybody else bothered by this? The highs are just slightly recessed, not a deal breaker at all, but I'd prefer like two dB extra. In combination with the veil, it badly hurts the timbre, IMO. Not saying other BA drivers can do it better (maybe PFE, but decay and body are unrealistic)...

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #969 of 4,383
Quote:
^ I'll loudly disagree with PFE having better bass than UE900 as I did an A/B comparison of the two just a few days ago. The bass of the UE is much more detailed than the 232.

My only gripe with the UE900 is the veil and recessed highs. Isn't anybody else bothered by this? The highs are just slightly recessed, not a deal breaker at all, but I'd prefer like two dB extra. In combination with the veil, it badly hurts the timbre, IMO. Not saying other BA drivers can do it better (maybe PFE, but decay and body are unrealistic)...

With time, sweat, debris, etc will dill fill up the smaller nozzle helping rid of the veil you hear slightly.  You're free to disagree with the PFE232 vs UE 900 remark though :wink:

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #970 of 4,383
Just pulled the trigger on these this morning and ordered directly from Logitech. I was considering getting an entry level custom IEM, but figured I'd rather not deal with the entire process it entails for now.  I'll post my thoughts once they come in. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #972 of 4,383
I think the Logitech|UE 900 sounds very good. (I have a loaner pair from UE.)  I am, however, having a difficult time getting a good seal.  And seal is everything.  But overall, these are, in my opinion, an improvement over the TF10 in every way.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #975 of 4,383
Quote:
Lool me too. Such a hard decision...I'm leaning heavily towards the 4ai but still not sure...

Wait for a few people to get both...   But more importantly, give an unbiased opinion on both (believe it or not, some people made opinions about the pre-production models of the UE 900 were even released; bias like this does build up in an unconscious way). The 4.Ai thread really has turned into a love/hate thread (now heading back towards a love thread). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back