Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #751 of 4,383
Quote:
I'm glad to see that logitech has made a successor that improves on the TF10.  TF10 is my favorite universal of all time.  I might pick one up when my TF10 finally dies..

When you do, don't be surprised when you get a much different sound :p

Quote:

I actually didn't know the original date.  I went based on the Amazon release date (shhhh...  Don't tell anyone :p) XD  Amazon says Sept 14, 2004.  My review was fact checked (quickly) by a Logitech rep.  IDK if they knew the exact date either.  Here's a link to the Amazon page though, they say Sept 14, 2004: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019RBJOE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=123YGDVA6NCQEH0372NZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #752 of 4,383
Maybe that's right, don't know. But you can even find "first impression" stuff for the TF10s posted in 2006, and I haven't seen anything further back personally. Who knows. They don't even have their own Wikipedia page, surprisingly.

Great job on the review of the 900s. My only criticism is that you speak too definitively on things you haven't heard. I know you always state you haven't heard the 'phones in question, but still. Your statements on things you haven't heard often come across in a very matter-of-fact manner.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #753 of 4,383
very nice write up mate
they look beautiful in the pictures, I love that blue!

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #754 of 4,383
Quote:
Maybe that's right, don't know. But you can even find "first impression" stuff for the TF10s posted in 2006, and I haven't seen anything further back personally. Who knows. They don't even have their own Wikipedia page, surprisingly.

Great job on the review of the 900s. My only criticism is that you speak too definitively on things you haven't heard. I know you always state you haven't heard the 'phones in question, but still. Your statements on things you haven't heard often come across in a very matter-of-fact manner.

I did make the statement that I was basing what I said about the TF10 on what I've read.  Past that, I give the general sound signature of the UE900 (no comparisons).  The disclaimer is there, and in order for the review to flow properly, it has to be worded like that, short and succinct.  I'm still a writer unfortunately, and the review needs to read objectively.  My apologies if it made it sound like it was set in stone fact.  

Quote:
very nice write up mate
they look beautiful in the pictures, I love that blue!

THanks.  They look nice in person too.  I was thinking of getting a blue iPod to match XD  But I didn't (silver iPod Touch coming). 

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #755 of 4,383
Quote:

THanks.  They look nice in person too.  I was thinking of getting a blue iPod to match XD  But I didn't (silver iPod Touch coming). 

You could always get a matching blue case! lol.
Guess I gotta sell my M50s to fund these

I read another review but it had me concerned with a problem I asked/you addressed before but I'd like some reassurance if you don't mind...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/04/logitech-ultimate-ears-ue-900-earbuds-review-mind-blowing-sound-less-than-brilliant-ergonomics/

here's the copy-pasted question I asked but I imagine it would take a day for him to reply whereas you reply promptly
"does wearing the earbuds down like the Apple earbuds (not looping it like you suggest) pose a significant problem? Would they be constantly falling out from casual walking? They won't stay in my ear (like the S4is I'm listening to right now)? I was really psyched to get these, but this lessened my enthusiasm as I like to wear buds like that :frowning2:
however I am glad you addressed it before I could buy them"

It had me concerned because he states it a few times... I'm super nit-picky about this because it's not everyday I'd spend this much on earbuds

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #756 of 4,383
Quote:
You could always get a matching blue case! lol.
Guess I gotta sell my M50s to fund these

I read another review but it had me concerned with a problem I asked/you addressed before but I'd like some reassurance if you don't mind...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/04/logitech-ultimate-ears-ue-900-earbuds-review-mind-blowing-sound-less-than-brilliant-ergonomics/

here's the copy-pasted question I asked but I imagine it would take a day for him to reply whereas you reply promptly
"does wearing the earbuds down like the Apple earbuds (not looping it like you suggest) pose a significant problem? Would they be constantly falling out from casual walking? They won't stay in my ear (like the S4is I'm listening to right now)? I was really psyched to get these, but this lessened my enthusiasm as I like to wear buds like that :frowning2:
however I am glad you addressed it before I could buy them"

It had me concerned because he states it a few times... I'm super nit-picky about this because it's not everyday I'd spend this much on earbuds

They 900s do stay in, and don't fall out (I insert IEMs in the Custom style; lift the top of my ear and twist in.  This creates stability, not too many people do this).  They may not be the best for running with them down, the memory wire will get into the way for that.  For casual walking, I see no problem.  If you wear them up, you should have no problem running in them.  You do have to remember, these were designed to be worn up, so you will get a loss of stability going from up to down still.  

If you don't lift your ear and twist in, then no, you won't get them to stay put when down for walking.  If you do, then they will stay put.  The seal kind of keeps them in place XD  

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #758 of 4,383
Quote:
How does the tone of a 'phone effect its end-to-end frequency extension?

I'm either needing sleep, or I don't understand what you're asking.  Can you rephrase.  A single tone won't effect the end-to-end frequency extension XD  I'm trying to figure out what this is a remark to...  

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #760 of 4,383
Oct 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #761 of 4,383
The following is from a TF10 review from 2006. Definitely seems to imply that they came out that year, and I've seen lots of similar stuff which is why I was under the impression they came out in '06. *shrugs*:

Early in 2006, earphone rival Shure dropped a bomb, debuting a miniaturized $500 triple-driver earphone that required no custom fitting session and promised similarly outstanding sound quality. The result, Shure’s E500PTH (iLounge rating: A), was a superlative design, widely satisfying all of iLounge’s editors despite their varied sound and comfort preferences. Engineering enabled the new triple-driver design to fit snugly in the nook of your ear right outside the middle ear canal, providing even more enticing sound than the more expensive UE-10s.

6.jpg

In recent months, Ultimate Ears representatives began to hint that they were poised to respond with their own one-size-fits-all triple-driver canalphone, code-named triple-X, and over the last few weeks, the company promised a more aggressive price point than Shure’s. The finished product arrived last week with an impressive $400 sticker and new name: the triple.fi 10 Pro, a blending of the triple-driver UE-10 Pro label with that of super.fi, the company’s lower-end universal fit earphone series.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/ultimate-ears-triplefi-10-pro-earphones/

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #762 of 4,383
2006 sounds right. TF10 and SE530 were HUGE introductions into the universal multi-driver market. The Shure was more popular due to ergonomics but both welcomed strong sales. I owned both several times due to my addiction to this hobby :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #763 of 4,383
I named the f-ing things.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/188981/win-a-free-set-of-ue-10s-and-help-name-our-newest-product/240

The reason Amazon has it wrong is because Amazon has it wrong.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #764 of 4,383
Quote:
I named the f-ing things.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/188981/win-a-free-set-of-ue-10s-and-help-name-our-newest-product/240

The reason Amazon has it wrong is because Amazon has it wrong.

OK.  Thanks.  Damn you Amazon!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back