Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #406 of 4,383
Sep 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #407 of 4,383
Quote:

How about violins/cellos? I once auditioned the W4 and the timbre of the strings on them left a really good impression.

The violins with the UE900s are a bit brighter in comparison to the W4, they "extend" a little higher and don't decay as quickly.  The W4s create a type of lushness to the violins that the 900s don't do.  The cello is perceived as going deeper and stronger with the W4 over the 900s.  Both do well in both regards, but flavor the sounds differently. 

Quote:
Hmmm, looks an awful lot like the connectors shure uses. I had nothing but problems with my se315 and my se535. :frowning2:

We'll see how long this one lasts. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #410 of 4,383
You guys think these compete with the JH5's? Thing is i can probably stretch and get those, but first of all i dont feel like spending so much money on them, even if its my birthday money or whatever, cant justify it. Also, since im 14, my ears are probably gonna change and itll cost me like 80 dollars every 15 months or so to refit them. So, i thought ill buy these, and when im old enough i will e them remolded to customs. My first choice was th ie8's, but they camt be remolldedd into customs, so yeah. And do you think that when remolded, these will compete with the higher end customs? ( 4 drivers......)

Thanks a lot.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #411 of 4,383
I'm not sure if the pins on their cables qualify as being 'proprietary', but they do sound like a bit of a turn-off for me. It would be nice to replace the cables with one of the many options out there in the marketplace should one have a preference, but I'm guessing that will only be possible after re-shelling them. The potential for a detached face plate is a bit of a concern, but perhaps that is unwarranted. The slight V sound signature is something my ears can get behind, though. The initial feedback on their sound is quite positive, so I can't wait to read about how they stack up to the 4Ais.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #413 of 4,383
Quote:
You guys think these compete with the JH5's? Thing is i can probably stretch and get those, but first of all i dont feel like spending so much money on them, even if its my birthday money or whatever, cant justify it. Also, since im 14, my ears are probably gonna change and itll cost me like 80 dollars every 15 months or so to refit them. So, i thought ill buy these, and when im old enough i will e them remolded to customs. My first choice was th ie8's, but they camt be remolldedd into customs, so yeah. And do you think that when remolded, these will compete with the higher end customs? ( 4 drivers......)
Thanks a lot.

Based on what I am reading the UE900 is a bit more polite on the bass, a bit more neutral and more refined sounding and warmer.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #414 of 4,383
http://www.custom-iem.com/sennheiser-ie8-reshell-upgrade-to-3-drivers-p-662.html?zenid=a2080785b2efd6f3225231d6828ce479

Looks like your dreams can come true :) IE8s can probably be had for a good price now that the IE80 is out and IE800 is on the horizon...
Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #415 of 4,383
i guess i have to sell my w4s... :frowning2:  im waiting till a proper review ... willl see how long will it takes.. ( sigh..!)

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #416 of 4,383
Quote:
i guess i have to sell my w4s... :frowning2:  im waiting till a proper review ... willl see how long will it takes.. ( sigh..!)

You may want to wait up with that.  They are technically at the same SQ level (each with their ups and downs).  Really, just different flavors.  Wait for the comparison (in depth).  It'll come early next week.  Either Sunday night or Monday night depending on when I have time.  The comparison will come before the in-depth review.  

EDIT:

I do want to make a comment concerning the connector.  I think I found a reason for the problem...  Debris.  The contact for the connectors has a slight slit in it when they are inserted together.  This does allow debris to get in.  This can mess around with signal a bit.  That said, the majority of the time, I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable.  If I wasn't able to, the brush-side of an IEM cleaner to both components (the male and female ends) cleaned the problem right up.  I have a picture of the slit I'm talking about below:

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #417 of 4,383
i will untangle my long curly hair till then! :p   

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #419 of 4,383
Thanks for the replies, gill87 and spyro. Spyro- you were talking compared to the jh5s right? And gilly87, thanks for the link, but that price tag is WAYYYYYYy too high. And to all of you, what do you think , JH5s or these, or IE8s ( i do like a bit of bass, i mean come on im 14) so basically the problem for me is because i am wanting the customs a lot, but im hesitant to spend so much, and i know the msrp for these is 400, but black friday, and they will probably drop anyay. Now i want th IE8s is cause i like bass and theyre cheaper. BUT i will most definetely buyh these if you guys think these compare to hgh end CUSTOMS as a lot of you have been witrh the UERMs. Sorry for the kinda incomprehensible post, but yeah.
Ps- i couldnt quote spyro and gill87 cause this is on my ipad and apparently you cant quote on those.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #420 of 4,383
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, gill87 and spyro. Spyro- you were talking compared to the jh5s right? And gilly87, thanks for the link, but that price tag is WAYYYYYYy too high. And to all of you, what do you think , JH5s or these, or IE8s ( i do like a bit of bass, i mean come on im 14) so basically the problem for me is because i am wanting the customs a lot, but im hesitant to spend so much, and i know the msrp for these is 400, but black friday, and they will probably drop anyay. Now i want th IE8s is cause i like bass and theyre cheaper. BUT i will most definetely buyh these if you guys think these compare to hgh end CUSTOMS as a lot of you have been witrh the UERMs. Sorry for the kinda incomprehensible post, but yeah.
Ps- i couldnt quote spyro and gill87 cause this is on my ipad and apparently you cant quote on those.

Don't expect any IEM to drop too much in 2-3 months.  It took the W4s about a 18 months to drop from 500 to around 350 (sometimes 300; 30-40% drop).  The TF10s took 8 years to go down from 400 to 170 (67.5% drop).  IEMs rarely drop in price within the first few months.  You can keep your fingers crossed for a UE900 price drop on Black Friday though, but don't expect it (of you might end up a bit disappointed).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back