Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #3,931 of 4,383

I agree. If the news of the discontinuation of the UE 900S are true (Someone really needs to provide confirmation for this), then it is just sad than henceforth the UE consumer legacy will be known to be only UE speakers.  

I was offered a new cable to see if this will cure the issue (doubt so), but once again they made it clear that both 900 and 900S are out of production. Would like to see a confirmation here as well by Logitech personnel. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,932 of 4,383
  I was offered a new cable to see if this will cure the issue (doubt so), but once again made it clear that both 900 and 900S are out of production. Would like to see a confirmation here as well by Logitech personnel. 

That's quite worrying, since my UE900 has an intermittent issue with the sound on the right monitor. I've cleaned the connector a few times, and the problem will be resolved, at least for a little while. My fear is that this issue won't really disappear, but will only appear with increasing frequency. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #3,933 of 4,383

That's quite worrying, since my UE900 has an intermittent issue with the sound on the right monitor. I've cleaned the connector a few times, and the problem will be resolved, at least for a little while. My fear is that this issue won't really disappear, but will only appear with increasing frequency. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That's the issue I am having, just on the left side. When it started a few months back I was able to get rid of it for a few weeks just by cleaning the connectors, no matter what l do now it won't affect the cut-outs. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,934 of 4,383
That's the issue I am having, just on the left side. When it started a few months back I was able to get rid of it for a few weeks just by cleaning the connectors, no matter what l do now it won't affect the cut-outs. 

Have you tried a bit of wd40 or similar. Works a treat with dodgy electrical connections in old cars! Might keep the moisture out as well if sweat from working out is an issue.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,936 of 4,383

Thankfully, mine doesn't cut out to often, but there's a weird, static-like sound that buzzes around a bit. Cleaning the connectors will remove the problem, but only temporarily. I don't use my UE 900 very often and I take pretty good care of them. I hope it's just a faulty connector that requires regular maintenance to work fine. Still, this shouldn't be an issue at all, since I've never had a faulty connector on any of my other IEMs or headphones with detachable cables - It just had to be the UE 900.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #3,937 of 4,383
Judging from what I see on the main (www) ultimateears site they they are not selling/supporting the UE 900s but if you check out the speciality (pro) ultimateears site they are selling and supporting the UE 900s.

This is based off my recent experience with them however I could be completely wrong.  

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #3,939 of 4,383
^ It was a steal, these ue900 sound great, what you have to do is buy a new cable with silver in it, the stock cables are cr-p, and when replaced with high end cables, it's a new ball game, with completely different sound.
My ue900 sound incredible, and haven't cut out since the cable update, a year and half ago. On the Sony zx2 and new cable, these iem's are the ducks nuts. (sound great)
Also purchase a cable with rhodium mmcx connectors, in my opinion.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221712029157&alt=web

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,941 of 4,383
  I almost bought a pair of UE900 for $140 thinking it was a steal... now, I'm glad I didn't.

For its sound alone, $140 is indeed a steal. Coupled with the poor build quality, however, and you've got something of a hit or miss. I still love my UE 900, though, despite its highly questionable build.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #3,943 of 4,383
Ouch again.

So what did they give you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since they don't have a replacement I asked for a new cable since they still have them in stock, hoping it will cure the problem.  Should be here in a few days.

Ah.

Well good luck...let us know how that goes.

For some reason, that reminds me of when I switched to the Shure mobile cable for my SE846, because I was too paranoid to bring both the 846 and a copper upgrade cable overseas on a business trip...the sound quality was really poor and it didn't seem to fit very well with the MMCX socket (made clicking noises whenever the cable moved).

As it turns out, what actually happened was that the removable filter wasn't inserted correctly the last time I changed them out, and the metal housing was coming loose, affecting the sound and making the clicking noises. Felt like a right idiot after that.

Dunno how this is relevant to be honest, but there it is.

Btw, I take it you didn't have any spare cables to test out (or even a shop that sells IEMs or cables) on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,944 of 4,383
Btw, I take it you didn't have any spare cables to test out (or even a shop that sells IEMs or cables) on?

I tried the black cable and the problem is less severe in terms of cut-outs but  the left channel sounded hallow and lifeless, so I am not sure. It seems that the customer service rep felt that based on the batch # 1241 and the issue described the problem is with the earphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back