Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,212 of 4,383
@myinerear. You can't be serious this has to be a troll. What part of this being bad bussniss is not sinking in. First of all the ue 900 is an iem with a well documented history of having a malfunction of some sort of no fault of the owner. Furthermore there a high probability that a problem will occurs with them with I'm the first 6 months of owning them. So what dose Logitech do they make a better version of them that fixs the issue of the previous model. Great. So what's the problem. We'll Logitech ship these new model called the 900s but instead of putting the new model that adress the issue of the old. They give you the old model which has a history of acting up and give you the accessory of the new model. In addition they shorten the warranty to one year which wouldn't be a problem if people revived the actual 900s which are built better. If you don't see the issue then your a lost cause
Companies make tweaks/changes/improvements to models all the time. They don't owe you an explanation every time they improve their product. I personally had no issues with my UE900 and I'm a heavy user. I suspect the issues raised here represent a small percentage of people. Even still, UE made a great product even better. And your point that problems are usually identified within the first 6 months only supports the idea that a 1 yr warranty is reasonable. Just calling it like I see it: a lot of cry babys here.

May 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,215 of 4,383
Companies make tweaks/changes/improvements to models all the time. They don't owe you an explanation every time they improve their product. I personally had no issues with my UE900 and I'm a heavy user. I suspect the issues raised here represent a small percentage of people. Even still, UE made a great product even better. And your point that problems are usually identified within the first 6 months only supports the idea that a 1 yr warranty is reasonable. Just calling it like I see it: a lot of cry babys here.

Of course most electronics get tweeked over time and an explanation isn't needed every time. The problem here is that Logitech changed to the UE 900s which they display on their product page and the front of the box as looking redesigned with an all blue unibody and then when you open up the box there is a pair of IEMs that look like the old model. I think it's fair to ask for some sort of explanation as to why peoples UE 900s don't look like what they themselves show on the front of their packaging and their own product page/web store. Imagine you purchased the newest model iPhone 5S that has the new home button with Touch ID and you open the sealed box and inside is the old model iPhone 5. Wouldn't it be fair for people who purchased said phone expecting one thing and getting another ask for at least an explanation as to why their device is different?

May 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,216 of 4,383
Really? I thought they were the biggest mistakes I've ever made along side my HD800. My UE 18Pro sounded like the exactly opposite of the HD800, no treble nor clarity, amazing sub bass though and physically perfect.
You obviously hear different than I do. The overall sound presentation of this earphone is the best I've heard. And I've heard some pretty good stuff.

May 23, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3,217 of 4,383
Later versions of UE900 also carry a 1 year warranty, just like my UE18 Pro Custom. It's easier said than done if you bought used, trying to save money.

Hahaha that's news to me. I bought mine brand new back in November. Came with 2 year warranty, cut offs from day 1, they come and go as they please. This issue is very well documented. It's not just a small percentage. I use my earphones 8 hours a day and take good care of them. No gym, jogging or Bikram yoga. If you don't see what's wrong here it's beyond me. This is not about a cry baby or two, it's a about a legit concern that people have and a bad business by Logitech. The whole point of the 900s was to rectify issues the 900 had but apparently with the supposed 900s the design remains the same which means the same issues will occur again. And FYI, companies do tell their customers when a new version of a product is available, it's their best interest to show the customers that they do care and work hard to improve, but I guess Logitech thinks differently. If their customer service would have been more proactive by providing some answers I am sure this whole discussion would have been much shorter, but if they are clueless and avoiding answers that the owe to their loyal customers who paid $400 of their hard earned money, it's just bad service and bad business. If you don't see that as a bad business I think you should apply for a job at Logitech, it seems like you share the same culture and vision.

May 23, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #3,218 of 4,383
Out of all the IEMs I got so far, the only ones that actually got broken physically were:
1. SE530, the left sound tube broke off and the cable snapped too within 9 months of using them and I swore never to get any Shure products again, until the SE846.
2. UM 2, the cable or jack had a lose connection after over a year of using them but I got them repaired by changing the 1/4" jack myself.
3. Monster turbine copper, probably the worst made IEM I ever bought, the casing of the right driver snapped into two within 2 months of getting them. The good thing was, it can get snapped back together again easily and didn't affect the SQ at all and it comes with a lifetime guarantee, so I know I can get a new pair whenever I want to.

With the UM3x, it was physically very well built, and very hardy, but I've had 4 previous pairs where one of the drivers would just suddenly die. I think in general, IEMs nowadays are quite well built and reliable physically, so I hope I'm not wrong about my UE900s.

So what's the problem. We'll Logitech ship these new model called the 900s but instead of putting the new model that adress the issue of the old. They give you the old model which has a history of acting up and give you the accessory of the new model. In addition they shorten the warranty to one year which wouldn't be a problem if people revived the actual 900s which are built better. If you don't see the issue then your a lost cause

May 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #3,219 of 4,383
Hahaha that's news to me. I bought mine brand new back in November. Came with 2 year warranty, cut offs from day 1, they come and go as they pleases. This issue is very well documented. It's not just a small percentage. I use my earphones 8 hours a day and take good care of them. No gym, jogging or Bikram yoga. If you don't see what's wrong here it's beyond me. This is not about a cry baby or two, it's a about a legit concern that people have and a bad business by Logitech. The whole point of the 900s was to rectify issues the 900 had but apparently with the supposed 900s the design remains the same which means the same issues will occur again. And FYI, companies do tell their customers when a new version of a product is available, it's their best interest to show the customers that they do care and work hard to improve, but I guess Logitech thinks differently. If their customer service would have been more proactive by providing some answers I am sure this whole discussion would have been much shorter, but if they are clueless and avoiding answers that the owe to their loyal customers who paid $400 of their hard earned money, it's just bad service and bad business. If you don't see that as a bad business I think you should apply for a job at Logitech, it seems like you share the same culture and vision.
Again, if you got a faulty pair you can return them under warranty. They don't owe you an explanation every time they make a change.

May 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #3,220 of 4,383
The reality is, Logitech knows that there is a problem with the weld otherwise they would never have made a revision in the first place. It wouldn't be worth the engineering effort to make all these changes if there wasn't some feedback they were getting about flaws with the original design.

Lots of companies make small revisions over time, and that's fine. Sometimes they are like Sennheiser and they make the revisions silently without informing the consumer, which is cool and what you usually get with a long production run. Other companies like AKG might make small revisions and then sell them as a brand new model. That's cool too, since they tell people about some of the changes.

What isn't cool is selling a new product under a new name, and then for some customers giving them something old and other customers giving them something new. Can you imagine if AKG shipped K612's in the United States with different drivers than the ones in Germany? It would be outrageous.

There will be a number of people who order the UE900s based on the news from Asia that it has been revised, and they will have to go through the gauntlet with Logitech customer support to resolve this confusion.

My suspicion, given the response that people are getting from US customer support (and some other info I have), is that basically most of the US sales team simply isn't even aware that the product they are selling is different from the one released in the Asian channel. Someone has just thrown something over the fence. For a $400 product you would think they would co-ordinate and care a little more then that.

I've contacted Mike Dias for a response about this...

May 23, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,221 of 4,383
Again, if you got a faulty pair you can return them under warranty. They don't owe you an explanation every time they make a change.

You seem to be glossing over the fact that in this case the change in model included a change in packaging with a giant picture of a redesign on the front and a change to the product page also reflecting a design change yet inside the box is a product that doesn't have the changes that they are showing it should.

May 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,225 of 4,383
Did anyone who ordered the UE900s directly off UE website encountered this problem or did the rest ordered from other retailers such as Amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back