Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #3,196 of 4,383
It's not a problem with the tuning. The problem is that the old UE900 had a weakness that the shells would tend to fall apart at the join, and the MMCX connectors would oxidise. The new UE900s being sold in Japan have an improved weld and an improved connector design. Worse still there are numerous examples in this thread where the shells fell apart and Logitech UE was aware there was a tendency for this to happen, but they did not consistently offer to repair or replace the product for customers. Despite them being AWARE of the fault and fixing it with a new revision.

People will order the UE900s in other markets thinking they are getting an improvement, and when they aren't they will contact CS which seemingly has no idea about what is going on. Customers should know what they will actually be getting in the box when they order it.

May 22, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,197 of 4,383
Here's the thing though. We aren't necessarily sure that we actually got an improved product when we bought the UE 900s since they appear identical to the UE 900. We know for sure the accessories included improved, but no one is 100% sure the headphones themselves did since there is no way to tell them apart from the UE 900.
I suppose you could wait until someone (maybe a contributor) does a thorough review of the 900s. Then if They don't prefer it, everyone will be happy with old stock lol

May 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,198 of 4,383
I see, thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about the problems with the UE900 at all, I usually just care about the sound more. So fingers crossed, hope mine don't fall apart as I use them everyday and in a rough way.

It's not a problem with the tuning. The problem is that the old UE900 had a weakness that the shells would tend to fall apart at the join, and the MMCX connectors would oxidise. The new UE900s being sold in Japan have an improved weld and an improved connector design. Worse still there are numerous examples in this thread where the shells fell apart and Logitech UE was aware there was a tendency for this to happen, but they did not consistently offer to repair or replace the product for customers. Despite them being AWARE of the fault and fixing it with a new revision.

May 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #3,200 of 4,383
I suppose you could wait until someone (maybe a contributor) does a thorough review of the 900s. Then if They don't prefer it, everyone will be happy with old stock lol

Well I already purchased the UE 900s and I do like the sound a lot. What I am trying to get to the bottom of with Logitech is should I have actually have gotten UE 900s with the new design in the box instead of what was actually packed in there. I'm not worried about the sound, because like I say I like what I got but I am concerned about the durability since I thought I was getting an IEM that had design changed to remedy the problems of the old model.

May 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,201 of 4,383
To be honest. I don't care what parts they used or what they look like, I only care about the sound quality. I didn't like the UE900 sound signature but love the UE900s', that's good enough for me.

After reading over this thread I believe that what you and @Got the Shakes have is from later batches of the UE900 that came with the gold connectors. Earlier batched IIRC came with the standard ones and later on they came with the golden ones (the 900s vs 900 vid that I have posted shows the model you have I believe). Not trying to be a party pooper but based on the pics we have both uploaded that's my assumption. 

May 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,202 of 4,383
  After reading over this thread I believe that what you and @Got the Shakes have is from later batches of the UE900 that came with the gold connectors. Earlier batched IIRC came with the standard ones and later on they came with the golden ones (the 900s vs 900 vid that I have posted shows the model you have I believe). Not trying to be a party pooper but based on the pics we have both uploaded that's my assumption. 

I think that is a fairly safe assumption. While it's frustrating that I likely got UE 900 when expecting the UE 900s, the most frustrating part is Logitech's terrible customer support. I'm at about a week of dealing with them and they still don't have an explanation for what happened.

May 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #3,205 of 4,383
show me where UE increased the price. I haven't seen it.

Not sure if you're trolling but will reply as you are not. The 900 always had a price tag of $399 (in the US) but in the last 8 months or so they are being sold for around $250-$270 while the UE 900s are going for 400. A quick Amazon search will show you that from a 3rd party reputable dealer you could get the UE 900 for 250 and the UE 900s are going for 400.

May 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,206 of 4,383
Well I already purchased the UE 900s and I do like the sound a lot. What I am trying to get to the bottom of with Logitech is should I have actually have gotten UE 900s with the new design in the box instead of what was actually packed in there. I'm not worried about the sound, because like I say I like what I got but I am concerned about the durability since I thought I was getting an IEM that had design changed to remedy the problems of the old model.
Since you really like it and you've had no problems with it, where's the problem? If you have a problem later, that's what the warranty is for. If there's something missing in the packaging materials, call UE Custom shop in California, I'm sure they'll get it to you.

May 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,207 of 4,383

I think that is a fairly safe assumption. While it's frustrating that I likely got UE 900 when expecting the UE 900s, the most frustrating part is Logitech's terrible customer support. I'm at about a week of dealing with them and they still don't have an explanation for what happened.

I feel your pain. And in all fairness, the sound is that matters but the issues with the 900 are not to be overlooked. I skip a heartbeat each time I need to disconnect the cable hoping the shell won't pop. The bore gets clogged easily and impossible to be cleaned up and the connectors have issues as well. My pair has this issue, so at the end of the day if I were to purchase the 900s and getting a pair that looks identical to the 900 I would have felt like you, pissed, cheated and frustrated with customer service.

May 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,208 of 4,383
Since you really like it and you've had no problems with it, where's the problem? If you have a problem later, that's what the warranty is for. If there's something missing in the packaging materials, call UE Custom shop in California, I'm sure they'll get it to you.

Easier said than done chief. Also, while the 900 comes with 2 year warranty the UE 900s were downgraded to only 1 year.

http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s 

May 22, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3,209 of 4,383
@myinerear. You can't be serious this has to be a troll. What part of this being bad bussniss is not sinking in. First of all the ue 900 is an iem with a well documented history of having a malfunction of some sort of no fault of the owner. Furthermore there a high probability that a problem will occurs with them with I'm the first 6 months of owning them. So what dose Logitech do they make a better version of them that fixs the issue of the previous model. Great. So what's the problem. We'll Logitech ship these new model called the 900s but instead of putting the new model that adress the issue of the old. They give you the old model which has a history of acting up and give you the accessory of the new model. In addition they shorten the warranty to one year which wouldn't be a problem if people revived the actual 900s which are built better. If you don't see the issue then your a lost cause

Users who are viewing this thread

Back