Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,836 of 4,383
  I think I know what you mean. To me the sound is slightly louder on the left side. I would say something like L-60% R-40% if it makes sense. Also, I noticed that drums will sound better on the left side and sound pretty much centric with respect to the channel shape, but on the right side they sound more close to the bottom part of the channel. It's kind of hard to explain but they just don't sound even to me altogether.   

I always thought my UE700's sounded louder in the left ear, but I put it down to traditional mastering techniques or a quirk in my music players.

What happens if you guys switch the plugs so left is on the right ear and etc?

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,838 of 4,383
  It will be out of phase and not sound right with regards to stereo separation

I actually don't think this would happen.  Swapping the connectors is a way to be able to wear IEMs designed to be worn up down...  I think UE said that was the proper way to wear the TF10 down. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2,840 of 4,383
I just wondering why the female vocal sounds not as bright as my ATH headphones, is this a tuning mistake or ATH just have a brighter female tuning?

It all comes down to taste. The UE900 is kind of a bit bassy, scooped out and soft mids with some sparkle on top. It's on the mellow side. Something like the CK100Pro will sound quite bright in comparison.

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,843 of 4,383
So the last premium headphone I owned was a pair of shure se235. I've been subsisting on a 10 dollar pair of koss ever since I lost those in a cab. Just got a pair of these. How do these compare sound signature wise to that Shure?

Edit:se215

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,844 of 4,383
  So the last premium headphone I owned was a pair of shure se235. I've been subsisting on a 10 dollar pair of koss ever since I lost those in a cab. Just got a pair of these. How do these compare sound signature wise to that Shure?

I think you meant SE215...  These are much flatter in tonality...  Not as bassy and much more midrange driven. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2,845 of 4,383
I agree with tinyman and can tell you that both offer very different sound sigs.  To me, the UE900 is definitely more refined (commensurate with its much higher price tag).  
Its treble is delightfully clean and sparkly without being sibilant, a big change fro the steep fall off on the SE215s.  Bass is much better controlled, goes deeper, and sounds tighter.  And while the UE900s may still be considered ever so slightly laid back/warmish, they are nothing like the 215's predominantly bassy sound.  Also, if ‘accurate’ (flat?) signature is your calling, blocking a tiny bore on the UE900 (an easy hack) further flattens its bass curve (see http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html?m=1 for further analysis in this area).  

The UE900 will certainly take your listening enjoyment to a higher level  My only advice is to avoid subjecting the UE900s to ‘environmental stresses’.  I can’t speak for you but in my world, 4 benjamins for an IEM is an investment not to be taken lightly, and when my first pair of UE900s died, i was determined to do everything possible to have their replacement last as close to forever as possible.  As a result, my UE900s don’t leave the house and the SE215 serve as my beater pair, used in the gym and as a hands-free device for my phone and to listen to podcasts while commuting Their mid-centric signature is especially conducive to such applications.  

As a happy coincidence, the cables of both IEMs are interchangeable :). Enjoy! 

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2,846 of 4,383

Strip some copper wire and use one or two of the remaining strands.

I have not tried it yet, but that may be your only bet.

I did PM Mike Dias with that question earlier today, as well as questions regarding sound cut out. I logged my warranty concern and they are only sending me replacement cables. I'm sure the replacements will be gold plated, while my phones have nickel plated connectors...we'll see if it works ok.

Any word from Logitech on cleaning out the super tiny pinhole-bore?  Even if we find something thin enough to fit, won't that just push crud deeper into the IEM housing?  The loss in bass was quite perceptible (and not in a pleasant way) when I deliberately blocked the pinholes with tiny pieces of tape, but that experiment was easily reversed.  Ear gunk, not as much!  Surely, the smart engineers @ Logitech have considered this and have a solution... or is that wishful thinking?

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #2,847 of 4,383
No word back on my specific pinhole bore questions. I will have to try to email Logitech customer service. Mr. Dias has replied only briefly to my inquiry with a promise of assistance "soon".

I just feel like I am bothering him.

So...no insight on the pinhole bore. Sorry.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,849 of 4,383
Are these new?

http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s 

It seems like the model name was updated to Ultimate Ears 900s.
Also, looking at the specs and what's in the box it looks like they have added 3 pairs of 'memory foam ear cushions' (sweet) and maintenance gel ?!? (What - I assume for the connectors).
But to me the biggest upset is this: "1 YEAR LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY". My UE 900 came with 2 yrs warranty, so what is that all about???

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,850 of 4,383
Ok, today was a bad day.   I posted a while ago about the right side going quiet.  Today it also started sounding like a blown woofer with annoying farty resonance replacing the bass.  So they're packed up and ready to be sent back to Logitech.  So I had to listen to my B&W P7s on the subway (it's a hard life, I know).  Coming home from work I had to take the FiiO E07K out of the loop because it started making all kinds of random whistles, burps and fizzes before finally deciding to just buzz in the left channel.  *sigh*  So that's packed up and ready to be sent back too...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back