Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,821 of 4,383
I have a hell of a time getting a good seal - they don't go far enough into my ear canal - I know they sound great, but so far I haven't been able to realize their potential. As I have a few customs coming - and have a pair of W3's that fit great, these may make it to the FS thread...

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,822 of 4,383
Ivabign"l="/t/624973/ultimate-ears-ue-900-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/2820#post_10352021 said:
 I have a hell of a time getting a good seal - they don't go far enough into my ear canal - I know they sound great, but so far I haven't been able to realize their potential. As I have a few customs coming - and have a pair of W3's that fit great, these may make it to the FS thread...

Got any double flanged tips? I use either sensorcom biflanges or meelec balanced tips. When I use the meelec tips I also have the sound tubes from a pair of comply tips to get a better seal.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,823 of 4,383

I have Alclair customs, terrible customer support from them and they don't fit as well as I have always thought they should. The 900 seal can be challenging I suppose, I feel I need to push them in and forward at the same time to get the best fit, almost like a near custom universal fitment.

The swivel cable doesn't make fitment any easier, but once they are in all is well.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,824 of 4,383

I have Alclair customs, terrible customer support from them and they don't fit as well as I have always thought they should. The 900 seal can be challenging I suppose, I feel I need to push them in and forward at the same time to get the best fit, almost like a near custom universal fitment.

The swivel cable doesn't make fitment any easier, but once they are in all is well.

A custom should disappear in your head - I had Heir 8A & 4A's - the fit was great - I couldn't hear a damned thing other than the music - but that was the point - it was as if I was deaf if the tunes were off.....

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,825 of 4,383
Thanks Helmet and Ivabign, as I suspected one has obviously been dislodged at some point but I haven't noticed a difference in sound between the two ears. Still now that I've noticed the inevitable A/B testing must begin!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,827 of 4,383
  I have the red filter in both, not perfectly aligned though.  I think mine sound kind of off. Left channel is a bit louder. Sigh...

Check your pinhole bores and make sure they aren't clogged... It's the only thing I can think of.  also swap cables to check as well.  Also switch L-R channels too to make sure it's not your headphone jack :wink:

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,829 of 4,383
Any tips on how to clean the pin hole bores? I tried with the thinnest needle I could find but it still wasn't thin enough!

I got nothing then :/  Find a threading needle?  XD The other solution is to fill both pinhole bores (or cover them with a tiny piece of tape)...  This will reduce bass response though! 

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,830 of 4,383
Any tips on how to clean the pin hole bores? I tried with the thinnest needle I could find but it still wasn't thin enough!

Strip some copper wire and use one or two of the remaining strands.

I have not tried it yet, but that may be your only bet.

I did PM Mike Dias with that question earlier today, as well as questions regarding sound cut out. I logged my warranty concern and they are only sending me replacement cables. I'm sure the replacements will be gold plated, while my phones have nickel plated connectors...we'll see if it works ok.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,831 of 4,383
I found a pair of these for $300, so I went ahead and bought them. Here are my impressions, from best to worst:

Sound quality is excellent. Really good isolation, very detailed and there's plenty of backbone to the bass. 

They fit very well, but it's kind of a pain to do the around-ear application every time I put them on. The wire pops out from behind my ear often enough that it's annoying. I use in-ears for my on-the-go listening, so I wish they were a little bit better to take out and throw back in super-quickly. 

They occasionally cut out in the left ear. Somewhere along the lines I read that this is a problem with the UE900s, but I don't know how bad of a problem it is for my set. It happens rarely, but of course it's frustrating when it does occur. If the frequency of this increases, I'll send them back to Logitech for replacement or repair. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,832 of 4,383
  I found a pair of these for $300, so I went ahead and bought them. Here are my impressions, from best to worst:

Sound quality is excellent. Really good isolation, very detailed and there's plenty of backbone to the bass. 

They fit very well, but it's kind of a pain to do the around-ear application every time I put them on. The wire pops out from behind my ear often enough that it's annoying. I use in-ears for my on-the-go listening, so I wish they were a little bit better to take out and throw back in super-quickly. 

They occasionally cut out in the left ear. Somewhere along the lines I read that this is a problem with the UE900s, but I don't know how bad of a problem it is for my set. It happens rarely, but of course it's frustrating when it does occur. If the frequency of this increases, I'll send them back to Logitech for replacement or repair. 

This happened to me as well, when they were new,  after few days of use, never had any issues. Try for few more days, if you have problem consistently then contacting customer service could be best option rather than trying to clean it yourself.  

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,833 of 4,383
Has anyone had one side of their 900s go quiet temporarily?  When I left the house this morning, the right side sounded like it was only firing on two cylinders.   I had to change the balance by 25% in Rockbox in order to get a balanced sound, but the right still didn't sound quite...right.  So I listened to my B&W P7s all the way to work.  When I got to work 90min or so later, the problem with the 900s was still there.  So all day long I was in a foul mood, cursing the world for buggering up my 900s just as I was falling in love with them.  But now I'm home, and I thought I'd try them one more time before emailing Logitech.  And they sound fine....   Could this have been a dampness problem?   I do tend to moisten my Comply tips before insertion... 

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,834 of 4,383
  Has anyone had one side of their 900s go quiet temporarily?  When I left the house this morning, the right side sounded like it was only firing on two cylinders.   I had to change the balance by 25% in Rockbox in order to get a balanced sound, but the right still didn't sound quite...right.  So I listened to my B&W P7s all the way to work.  When I got to work 90min or so later, the problem with the 900s was still there.  So all day long I was in a foul mood, cursing the world for buggering up my 900s just as I was falling in love with them.  But now I'm home, and I thought I'd try them one more time before emailing Logitech.  And they sound fine....   Could this have been a dampness problem?   I do tend to moisten my Comply tips before insertion... 

I think I know what you mean. To me the sound is slightly louder on the left side. I would say something like L-60% R-40% if it makes sense. Also, I noticed that drums will sound better on the left side and sound pretty much centric with respect to the channel shape, but on the right side they sound more close to the bottom part of the channel. It's kind of hard to explain but they just don't sound even to me altogether.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back