Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,791 of 4,383
Hmmm...if its more midrange detail you're after, the UE900 might be a step in the right direction. They sound a little unnatural with acoustic though.

If isolation isn't a priority, I'd say look at the EX1000. If it is, GR07 is a safe bet, they do require a long burn in though from what I've heard from those who bought them new (I've only demoed). The Heir and Noble triple drivers might be worth a look too, although I can't say I've heard them.

How do you feel about the TF10's bass?

Are you using UE900 with your Nexus 5? N5 for UE900 is a terrible source, I have to have it at max to get a decent sound, while my work-iphone when using spotify gives me great sound and detail and get that bass while with the N5 I don't. However, my Klipsch S4i are decent with the N5 not the UE900.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,792 of 4,383
I test all my headphones with a variety of sources: microstreamer, ele DAC + e11, nexus 4, nexus 5, Samsung infuse with voodoo sound. The UE900 just sounded weird to me.

I also use my N5 with Franco Kernel, which fixes the volume problem and then some. As far as SQ goes its really good for an Android.
Are you using UE900 with your Nexus 5? N5 for UE900 is a terrible source, I have to have it at max to get a decent sound, while my work-iphone when using spotify gives me great sound and detail and get that bass while with the N5 I don't. However, my Klipsch S4i are decent with the N5 not the UE900.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #2,793 of 4,383
I test all my headphones with a variety of sources: microstreamer, ele DAC + e11, nexus 4, nexus 5, Samsung infuse with voodoo sound. The UE900 just sounded weird to me.

Sounded weird to you on the N5 or just in general?

Can't really complain as I got the UE900 as a warranty exchange for my triple fi 10.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,794 of 4,383
It wasn't really to my liking on any of my devices. It sounds scooped somewhere in the upper mids and doesn't really seem natural to me in terms of timber. Great depth and separation, probably the best universal I've heard in terms of all-around presentation, but the timber felt off enough to make me sell them. There's nothing wrong with them, and I'm sure plenty of folks coming from Beats or other consumer targeted headphones looking for a more sophisticated sound would really enjoy them, but I've heard too many top-tier IEMs with incredible timber, like the SM3 and UERM demo, to really enjoy them for what they are.
Sounded weird to you on the N5 or just in general?

Can't really complain as I got the UE900 as a warranty exchange for my triple fi 10.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,795 of 4,383
Well I've got to spend some serious hours with the UE900'S now and as predicted I have fallen a little bit in love with them. I have a number of observations based on my experience in reaction to comments in this thread.

1. Build quality: As I first commented after receiving these I thought the build quality was not top notch. I have noticed that when removing them they can have quite a tight seal and due to the low profile of the earphone it is tempting to pull them out by the plastic connections at the end of the cables. However, a lot of the damaged pairs pictured on this site seem to involve the earphone breaking around this point. I am trying to resist the urge to tug on the plastic cable guides and insert my thumb and forefinger into my ear to grasp the actual bud. I have a hunch this will make them last longer.

2. Sound quality: There is no doubt that the extra driver adds more detail to the music a little at the top end but most noticeably in the mids over the ue triple fi 10's. However, I still prefer the dynamics of the ue triple fi 10. It's hard to explain but I feel more absorbed in the music through them. I find it hard to work whilst listening to them as the sound is so absorbing and although clichéd I will find myself tapping my foot or a rhythm on the desk in front of me. I genuinely believe that although they dont produce a flat audiophile reference sound they present the music with the energy and passion that the band would have intended. Still I wouldn't part with the UE900'S as they still have an important place in my collection.

Just on another note, after A/B testing all my recent purchases I have found that although the Grade Sr80 need cranking up a few notches due to their open back design I find they deliver a sound similar to the triple fi's which is equally absorbing. Being a member of a band for years I think this is due to the way that the bass is presented in these two earphones. The bass drives the track and is the thing that makes you want to move and I find the bass presence in these two earphones really engaging.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,796 of 4,383
I'm here after someone told me that the UE900s were the absolute best IEMs in the $300-$400 price range, but I'm surprised by how many posts I've read of people saying they straight up don't like them or prefer the UE Triple Fi 10s. 

Here's what I'm looking for: an IEM with the best sound quality I can get for less than $400. I love the idea of an immersive soundstage (so I should still with armature IEMs, correct?), where I can hear the tiniest details and separations of the instruments. I listen to a lot of music with gorgeous vocals, like the Irish singer Lisa Hannigan or the English band Elbow. But I also listen to heavier rock like Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails, or hip hop like Brother Ali and Wu Tang. Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, The Roots, Outkast, Paul Simon, Alt-J and Frightened Rabbit are a few more examples of my taste in music. 

This is my on-the-go set, so I want something that sounds great plugged into an iPhone. I prefer warmer, detailed sounds with excellent bass over anything cold, tinny or flat. I want to hear the brushes on a cymbal and the perfect timbre of vocal heavy tracks, as well grooves and beats with some weight and backbone. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,798 of 4,383
  I'm here after someone told me that the UE900s were the absolute best IEMs in the $300-$400 price range, but I'm surprised by how many posts I've read of people saying they straight up don't like them or prefer the UE Triple Fi 10s. 

Here's what I'm looking for: an IEM with the best sound quality I can get for less than $400. I love the idea of an immersive soundstage (so I should still with armature IEMs, correct?), where I can hear the tiniest details and separations of the instruments. I listen to a lot of music with gorgeous vocals, like the Irish singer Lisa Hannigan or the English band Elbow. But I also listen to heavier rock like Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails, or hip hop like Brother Ali and Wu Tang. Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, The Roots, Outkast, Paul Simon, Alt-J and Frightened Rabbit are a few more examples of my taste in music. 

This is my on-the-go set, so I want something that sounds great plugged into an iPhone. I prefer warmer, detailed sounds with excellent bass over anything cold, tinny or flat. I want to hear the brushes on a cymbal and the perfect timbre of vocal heavy tracks, as well grooves and beats with some weight and backbone. 

The UE 900's bass may not be what you're looking for...  At the end of the day, once that pinhole bore gets filled, the bass does flatten out a bit and it does have sort of a colder sound to it.  I think the W4 would work for you though...  Haven't heard the W40, it's supposed to be different due to housing differences? The ACS T15 may also be something worth looking into, although its treble is laid back a bit. 

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,799 of 4,383
The W4 and W40 are really stretching the budget. I have some amazon credit and the UE900s are on there for $370. The W40s are $500? Good lord. If they really are that much better I could sell some stuff or wait for sales/deals... 

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #2,800 of 4,383
  The W4 and W40 are really stretching the budget. I have some amazon credit and the UE900s are on there for $370. The W40s are $500? Good lord. If they really are that much better I could sell some stuff or wait for sales/deals... 

W40 is really that good, for the music you like to listen per your description.  UE900 is good too, but I found it's mids to be too much upfront and bass quantity inferior to W40.

Btw, you don't need to go with quad drivers.  W30, when it becomes available, or maybe even W20 might work for you.  Or since you want warm sound with great bass and mids/treble clarity, you might want to check out IM50 from audio technica (Japan import only) for $65 - look into IM01/02/03/04/50/70 thread, people are raving about it.  But keep in mind that 50/70 are dual dynamic drivers, while IM01/02/03/04 are BA drivers, similar to Westone config.  If you want to go the ultimate value route, you can get Xiaomi Pistons 2 for $25 (beryllium diaphragm dynamic driver - warm sound with a nice bass extension) - awesome in-ear headphones.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,803 of 4,383
I have a question for all who have heard both Logitech UE900 and Westone W4R.

I currently am in possession of both W4R and UE 900 and was surprised by many saying that the W4Rs have more bass than than UE.

The way I hear when plugging them to my Beta 22 headphone amp is that the W4Rs are really anemic when it comes to replicating the low bass notes and the thump of the kick.

The mid bass is really pronouced in the W4R, but I found that overall the W4Rs roll off in the bass very very quickly. 

Just to make sure I was hearing the tracks correctly, I did an A-B-C test with the UE900, W4R and my reference cans Beyerdynamic T1 and found that in Bass UE900 were much closer to T1s than the W4Rs are. I also compared this with my other phones Beyerdynamic DT1350 (sold now) and found the same result.

I dont think I am a bass head, but I do like to sub bass (i.e. <100Hz) sound present and that is what I am lacking in the W4R.

Do I have a faulty headphone with W4R or am I interpreting the sound signature correctly that the W4Rs have a much quicker roll off in the low bass region.

I am using Happiest Days of our lives - Pink Floyd The Wall as the reference track because it has some great bass guitar lines and drum kicks.

Any thoughts / comments will be appreciated?

P.S: I have tried multiple tips with both the IEMs with almost similar response in the bass department.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #2,804 of 4,383
Can't speak for W4R, but I have UE900 and W40, burned in for months, and can tell you with 100% certainty that W40 has more bass.  Others who tested W40 vs W4R mentioned that W40 has more bass, so perhaps W4 and UE900 are on the same level, in terms of bass quantity?

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,805 of 4,383
In your W40s do you think that the sub bass is missing? There is a loss of mid bass in my W4Rs (i.e. bass lines on the guitar) but the low end thump / impact is missing (drum kicks, synthesized bass on R&B tracks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back