Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2,776 of 4,383
I hope so, it's just I was surprised by the qc on such an expensive item. I got mine refurbished from an eBay seller for a substantial discount but the strain relief on the cables and moulding on the plug don't look like they'll last long. Also, some irregularities on the chrome surrounds on the ear pieces make me wonder if I've got some qc rejects or something as they have no sign of use other than a few scratches on the storage box.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,777 of 4,383
Wanted to weigh in here to the topic of durability. I bought the UE900 new from Amazon a bit over a year ago and have no problems with build quality at all.

I wear them running, at the gym, while traveling for work(I travel pretty much every other week), I even sleep with them in sometimes. I don't wind them up and stuff them in the little box they come with, they just ride free in my laptop bag wrapped around my cmoy.

I've read the horror stories about people having sound cut in or out, or issues with the plastic casing but I haven't had any problems.

The only modification I've made to them so far is to cut the memory wire off the cable. For me it was doing more harm then good, it was causing fatigue on the backs of my ears as well as fitment issues in general. Once I cut the wire off, comfort was vastly improved and I've had a much more pleasant experience since.

Quote:
  They will probably last. People only complain when stuff break, imagine all out there using them day in and day out with no problems, you will never hear of them :).

The failure rate is probably really low but maybe a bit higher than average.

I suspect this as well.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,778 of 4,383
I'm using the n5 as my main source. I'd u are rooted, there are a couple of sound mods on XDA which improve the stock sound. I I'll post the link in a bit. The n5 IMHO is not a very good source. Before flashing the mod I had turn this b!tch to the max for a decent sound. I am also considering investing in the same cable.

Glad to know I am not the only one that isn't getting a good sound from my N5. My Lumia 810 was a great source, N5 great phone but I guess terrible source. 

Where do you plan on buying the cable from?

Is there anything other than rooting that can make the N5 a better source.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,779 of 4,383
As suspected am absolutely loving the sound on these now after brain burn in. They are much more defined across the full range than the ue tf10's even though I still absolutely love the sound on them. It somehow sounds more upfront and engaging probably because of the greater emphasis on bass and treble. One thing I have noticed on the ue900 is that like the ue6000 over ears the bass is much stronger on Apple devices which they have clearly been tuned for. Shame that mostly I listen to music on my galaxy note 2 on which the bass response is too light. Anyone else noticed this?

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #2,780 of 4,383
One thing I have noticed on the ue900 is that like the ue6000 over ears the bass is much stronger on Apple devices which they have clearly been tuned for. Shame that mostly I listen to music on my galaxy note 2 on which the bass response is too light. Anyone else noticed this?

Straight from my note 3, I actually feel like the bass is too much, like downright boomy.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,783 of 4,383
The sound has always been superb on my note 2 with loads of different headphones (apparently it has the wolfson audio chip) but I've really noticed the difference with the ue6000 and ue900 from the latest ue lineup. I suppose both come with Apple remotes so it should be obvious they're optimised for these devices.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,784 of 4,383
It could be my device then I guess but the sound was sublime with the ue tf10's. Do you use any Eq settings? I always use mine on a normal flat Eq setting.

No Eq here, Just run flat and have all the other dsp stuff turned off.

For the most part when I'm on the go I use my BB Q10 + Cmoy. To my ears sounds much better than note 3 or note3 + cmoy.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #2,786 of 4,383
For my 2nd set of UE900s...These are available for $250 at my local music center, is there anything better than these for $250?

Edit, looks like ebay has them for $250 also.

Edit #2, holding off on buying my 2nd set as I just submitted my first support claim. Logitech will only send me a cable. So I will have a new cable with gold contacts, and a nickel plated connector in the IEM. I hope it will be ok.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,787 of 4,383
GR07 comes to mind, but it depends on what you're looking for. What types of music do you like? What other headphones have you had and what did you think of them?
These are available for $250 at my local music center, is there anything better than these for $250?

Edit, looks like ebay has them for $250 also.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,788 of 4,383
I like my triple fi 10 but wish for some more detail at times. I have UE900,Klipsch S4 and Alclair dual xb also...and some apple dual driver iem.

Is there a way to clean the pinhole bore?

Edit: now having cable connection concerns. Not a big deal as long as I am able to 'fix' it. Maybe UE will send out a cleaning kit with some corrosion cleaner and connector 'lotion' in a DIY fix it kit.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,789 of 4,383
Hmmm...if its more midrange detail you're after, the UE900 might be a step in the right direction. They sound a little unnatural with acoustic though.

If isolation isn't a priority, I'd say look at the EX1000. If it is, GR07 is a safe bet, they do require a long burn in though from what I've heard from those who bought them new (I've only demoed). The Heir and Noble triple drivers might be worth a look too, although I can't say I've heard them.

How do you feel about the TF10's bass?

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,790 of 4,383
Same exact thing happened to mine.  Crazy glued them and are ever so careful replacing tips.   The caliber of the monitors is superior to the enclosures and cables.   I received these after I contacted their R&D VP.  Explained to him that i had 3 pairs of Vi5 and Vi600s fail at the cable ends near the plug.  He explained that they took that into account with the UE900s.  Well they failed, no such improvement.

Unbelievable that there is no additional shock protection on the cord end....similar to even the cheapest iem.   They use hard plastic sealed around the solder joints (just dismantled my old Vi5 and repaired with new TRRS) with no soft plastic to prevent pinching or twisting.  Very simple idea that would save the headache of cable failure.  Their customer service keeps telling me to buy a replacement (out of stock due to Shure owners buying them due the $25 price...little do they know).

I am looking for the color coding of the blue/inline remote cable.  Once i have that i will resolder a new end onto it with shock protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back