Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,322 of 4,383
I was just about to give up on these little things but im glad i didt. this is hands down the most interesting pair of iem i ever herd. i notice the imaging, detail and sound stage became better as well. lol i also found it strange that they didt include a cleaning tool. maybe they figured that they gave us enough accessories, but its no big deal i still have my cleaning tool from my tripelfi 10s. il be sure to keep the big nozzle clean. they dont really get dirty with waxs tho but with fluids after wearing them for a long time

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,323 of 4,383
Quote:

Can't help you with the better seal :p  Comply tips tend to help this, but can also have effects of their own.  I'm still using stock UE XS tips :p  As for the "break in", it depends on what you say is good.  The main cause here would be the pinhole bore getting filled.  They change over time; the cost is bass presence.  Tradeoff is for better midrange and high end perception.  

whats high end perception?

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,325 of 4,383
I SO want to pull the trigger on these but worried about bass/sense of a full sound. What happens if you introduce 4-6dB added bass EQ and turn it up not ear-piercing but relatively loud? Does it distort? I would be using it amped.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,326 of 4,383
I have two 900's, one set that I've been using regularly for a little over a month (phone calls, around town, working, even wind up sleeping in them at least five nights a week before the wife slaps me).  The newest set is about a week old and has been strictly an "alone time" at home set, set up with the non-mic'ed black wire.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a wax free guy, I run a q-tip out of the shower everyday but especially after sleeping in the beater 900's I can visibly see whatever bodily secretion that is on the outside of the silicone....long/short, they have probably seen the worst (if not worse) than that normally relegated to my ue600/TF10vi's for daily abuse.  I haven't attempted to clean them in any way.

When I A/B the two sets I don't notice much difference.  The beater set follows along with what has already been stated here (the mids have seemed to move more forward, a little more top end detail, more maturity, etc.).  However, when compared to the new set there isn't much difference in the bass output, or low end extension.  I know the micro-bore on the beater set has to be filled by now with the way I've treated them...the whole interior probably looks potted from my ear wax at this point!  So, I'm not sure if the micro-bore is limiting the low end, or If maybe just changing the internal acoustics of the shell in a different way.  Either way, who knows they sound wonderful?!?!  They are also doing a bang up job at taking a daily beating!

The beaters still sound just a good as the week old set.  As a matter of fact, that's why I bought a second set for the house; I really enjoy the sound signature and clarity.  I've tried quite a few recent IEM's, custom, as-well-as, universal.  Not saying that these are "The One" but they hit it pretty close for me. 

@Spyro:

My beater set gets run straight out of an iPhone 4s flat, but every now and then for fun I'll run the new set off my amp at home and play with the a low freq a bit to see what it'll do.  I've played with the high end here and there as well to see if I could bring out a bit more sparkle.  They do very well.  I usually listen at moderate volumes, not going past 50% volume on the 4s most of the time, but there are times when I want to block the world out and get to about 70% (which is very loud on the 4s).  I've matched that listening level amp'ed and EQ'ed at home with no lower end distortion or sibilance.  I have a very broad range in musical taste; everything from classical, to GWAR if that helps.  I've been listening to The Shins (wincing the night away) a lot lately with the beater 900's, "Red Rabbits,' and "Black Wave" sound better than they ever have. 

All-in-all I most certainly appreciate the 9's.  I think UE has a great IEM in these, hope that helps!

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,327 of 4,383
Hey folks, I can snag a pair of these from a friend in the business for $250 out the door. I know thats a great price but others with more experience in IEM, is there anything else I should consider for the $250? I had some Shure SE215s and loved the sound sig but the miss all the air and details. Was looking at SE535s and Westons 4s but never could pull the trigger at the prices. Tried to cheap out on SE425s and just didn't like the sound and wasn't worth the extra over my 215s. I listen to all music from classical to country but prefer vocals (male and female) and live intimate performances. I will be using an iPhone 5 and Fiio E6 for portable and have a Audioquest Dragonfly for my desk. Thanks for your replies.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,328 of 4,383
Quote:
Hey folks, I can snag a pair of these from a friend in the business for $250 out the door. I know thats a great price but others with more experience in IEM, is there anything else I should consider for the $250? I had some Shure SE215s and loved the sound sig but the miss all the air and details. Was looking at SE535s and Westons 4s but never could pull the trigger at the prices. Tried to cheap out on SE425s and just didn't like the sound and wasn't worth the extra over my 215s. I listen to all music from classical to country but prefer vocals (male and female) and live intimate performances. I will be using an iPhone 5 and Fiio E6 for portable and have a Audioquest Dragonfly for my desk. Thanks for your replies.

For that requirement, I would say: "Pull the trigger, Sir!"

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,329 of 4,383
Quote:

I'd say they are worth it.  Try them before you walk out the door though, might be a good idea, especially if it turns out you may not like the sound.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,330 of 4,383
Quote:

For $250 the UE900 is a steal.  Get it ASAP.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,331 of 4,383
Quote:

i would buy them asap and if you dont like them you can always sell it for 400 or very close to that price and just buy something else and or make a profit

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,332 of 4,383
Well, I bought a pair of these at local Apple.  I have a subtle static issue in right channel.  Possibly a problem with one of the drivers.

Serial number starts "1237" which Logitech tells me was manufactured in September.  Apple has another pair with serial number "1241" which Logitech tells me were made in November so should not exhibit the problem.

Can you guys help and check your serial numbers and let me know what 1st 4-digits are and whether you have this issue or not?  I swapped out cable and problem persists so I am pretty sure it is not a cable/connector issue.  It's a driver issue.  Piss me off!

Thanks!

Oh....and they sound phenommenal.  I definitely prefer the better clarity and airy sound over the W4 but need to get a good pair in hand. first.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,334 of 4,383
Mine's 1234.  I don't know what my other model was, as I don't have it anymore (the older one had the problem).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back