Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vi--and it's wire
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moot11

New Head-Fier
I would like to buy a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10vi Noise Isolating Earphones w/ Microphone for it's 3D sound stage. But I've been reading about a lot of people having issues with the wires, post logictech acquisition (i.e. wires breaking after 2 days, and constantly needing to buy new ones). Are the people experiencing problems a vocal minority, or are there really serious quality control issues?

I plan on buying it used on Amazon for 180 bucks, but I can't cont. to spend 20 bucks on new wires, all the time. Lastly, I have not engineer skills, so the mods people talk about to make the wires last longer are not possible for me to undertake. 

Thanks!

Edit, should I go for the ie8? Or should I wait for the ie80? My co worker said he'd be willing to sell the ie8i to me for 200 dollars.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Note that the only difference between the TF10 and TF10vi is the cable, which can be purchased from UE for $20.  BUT, it is a relatively poor quality cable.  If the wire breaks after just a few days, UE should ship you a new one under warrantee, but I've never gotten more than 6 months use out of one.  Unfortunately there's no other cost efficient option.  You will constantly be buying new cables.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 5
I've been using mine for 2 years now, and only just last month did I replace the cable - not because it got ruined, but for a sound upgrade. A friend had a pair of Super.Fi 3's that she used for about a year until someone's dog ate them (it uses the same cable).

Then again this is all pre-logitech, and it's possible that their cable quality has decreased. However, Logitech customer support is top notch, and I'm pretty sure that if your cable gets ruined any time during the warranty period they won't mind replacing it for you.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 5
I have been using the UE Triplefi10's for three years now. Unless you really abuse them, they do not snap. But, a couple of my friends have changed their cables quite often. So, if you are a person that has more than normal use, you should expect an annual cable change, on an average. But that is no reason to miss such a nice pair of earphones! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back