Ultimate Ears Triple fi10 or Audio Technica ATH-M50 over ear?
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

redskinsboy13

New Head-Fier
I know this is like comparing apples to orange here with in ear monitors and over head cans, but i have the money i can get both in about the same price range, i really dont care if its over ear or in ear, just tell me which to get.

The majority of the things i listen to, are rap hp hop dubstep techno etc.. 
Ive heard great things about both these monitors, and im just wondering which is of better value.

Also im looking at portable amps and im wondering if either of these will be greatly improved with the help of an amp.

Please guys i need some help quick. Thanks

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 12
I had both of these until I left my TripleFis on a plane last week. 

For isolation the TripleFis win, of course. If isolation doesn't matter I would take the ATH-M50 every time. Better sound in pretty much every way. And more comfortable. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I own both and I would say your decision on which one to get may depend on where you want to listen to music at. If your on the go a lot, then go with the iems... but if your only listening in your home then the ATH M50s are where its at, due to their minor increase in sound quality. I have my triple fi's running out of my iphone 4s into a fiio e11 and it sounds pretty good for cheaper (by head-fi standards) setup. I can tell you that the ATH M50s have more bass, and sound stage which would go good with the music genres you have listed; however, on the other hand the triple fi 10s do not disappoint either. except for maybe the dubstep....In my personal experience I use the tri fi10s more frequently than the ATH M50s because of their size and I would feel embarrassed walking around campus with full sized cans around my neck. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 12
I've owned the M50 for a very long time and currently own the triple fi. Nothing beats the triplefi at its price range. In terms of sound quality and speed, <200 is a really good price for them. I've upgraded the cable for $35 from ebay and I've noticed an improvement in the treble and bass.

The m50 doesn't have the frequency extention or detail retreival of the triplefi.

It also depends on your sound preferance. The triplefi sounds more open and v-shaped. The m50 sits at the midrange, which I don't like very much. Both are not very fatiguing even after using them all day. If you want good isolation, buy some triple flanges and you won't hear any outside noise and achieve much better isolation than the m50s. Also the m50s need an amp to drive well, while the triple fis will sound good out of a good source.

Just get the triple fi with the triple flanges. Or buy them both from amazon and return the one you don't like.

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 12
I own the TF10s and I've had plenty of time listening to the M50s from a friend of mine

I think the TF10 beats out the M50s in every aspect (as they should) except for comfort. The TF10s are clear, have great detail, an open and airy sound, and great soundstage. The bass isn't boomy but it is punchy and has great control, vocals sound bright and alive, but instruments like violins (anything classical) sit at the very bottom of the the V-shaped freq. response so it does sound very recessed. Highs have great detail and extension but can be a little sibilant on some songs.

The M50s have a very average soundstage as most good reviews will note, they have a good amount of bass too which is a little boomier but I think lacks a little control that the TF10s have. And the mids and highs don't even compare. 

The TF10 is notorious for being uncomfortable though so the M50s win in that regard (theyre also built like tanks). If you continue down the road of Hi-Fi and end up getting an amp, the TF10 is a better long run investment because it actually does benefit some from an amp (I have Fiio E10) whereas the M50s really don't.

If you wanna know more about the TF10s, I have an in depth review on my profile.

I debated getting the M50s for awhile for their bass, but after doing research and digging, I'm going to lean towards the Ultrasone HFI-580. Especially now that the M50s are so expensive compared to what they used to be..

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 12
I completely agree with everything you said. Personally at $165 the triple fi's represent the best deal in headphones. The removable cable means that it could last you a lifetime.
Quote:
I own the TF10s and I've had plenty of time listening to the M50s from a friend of mine

I think the TF10 beats out the M50s in every aspect (as they should) except for comfort. The TF10s are clear, have great detail, an open and airy sound, and great soundstage. The bass isn't boomy but it is punchy and has great control, vocals sound bright and alive, but instruments like violins (anything classical) sit at the very bottom of the the V-shaped freq. response so it does sound very recessed. Highs have great detail and extension but can be a little sibilant on some songs.

The M50s have a very average soundstage as most good reviews will note, they have a good amount of bass too which is a little boomier but I think lacks a little control that the TF10s have. And the mids and highs don't even compare. 

The TF10 is notorious for being uncomfortable though so the M50s win in that regard (theyre also built like tanks). If you continue down the road of Hi-Fi and end up getting an amp, the TF10 is a better long run investment because it actually does benefit some from an amp (I have Fiio E10) whereas the M50s really don't.

If you wanna know more about the TF10s, I have an in depth review on my profile.

I debated getting the M50s for awhile for their bass, but after doing research and digging, I'm going to lean towards the Ultrasone HFI-580. Especially now that the M50s are so expensive compared to what they used to be..

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I completely agree with everything you said. Personally at $165 the triple fi's represent the best deal in headphones. The removable cable means that it could last you a lifetime.

Triple drivers at the $150 price point is fantastic
I got them during the Black Friday sale for $92 and I also had about $30 in Amazon credit. 
So Triple-Fi's for $60? Best deal of my life :D

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 12
IMO the m50s have so much clamping that they're unwearable

May 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 12
You happened to post a thread on the exact same question I've been asking myself for a couple months now... 
L3000.gif

Personally, I would rather by the M50s, but that's because I have myself a pair of decent Sony MDR-EX310LP in-ears to contrast. I also have a Fiio E11 on the way soon, which will allow me to get more out of my in-ears. Regardless, I've heard that there isn't much of a comparison (like you said) between over-ears and in-ears; it would depend on the setting in which you listen to your music most. I've been listening to my Sonys everywhere, whether sitting down or going for a brisk walk outside, and they've done me justice... however, I can't imagine myself doing the same with the M50s.

Another factor you should consider is how much fatigue may be caused by your music... for example, if you're listening to a lot of dubstep (as I do), I find that listening to them through in-ears is more fatiguing than with any cups I've tried. For any kind of music that has a very 'busy' overall sound (like dubstep and most metal music), I'd suggest using the M50s... everything would be more present and would naturally create a better soundstage.

On another note, whatever you decide to purchase, I'd suggest getting a portable amplifier as well. The triple armature drivers within the TF10s would make one assume that no external amplification is necessary, but I think it's a must-have for any high-quality in-ears, because of their sensitivity. External amplification may not be necessary for over-ears in this sense, but they would definitely make the sound at least a little bit better in every way.

Happy buying! 
wink_face.gif

May 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 12
My Triple Fi, got it almost brand new from craigslist, $145. 
Although I miss the Amazon ridiculous sale, I do believe it is worth it at this price.
By the way, I happen own this two, M50 is also considered as another good can at its price, I got it $99 for authorize deal the reconditioned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back