Ultimate Ears Tri Fi 10: Audio quieter in the right monitor
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nick2413

Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi,[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Apologies if this has already been mentioned in the forum.  I recently had the cable replaced on my UE, I was in the gym today and I suddenly noticed that the audio is quieter in the right monitor.  Now it wasn’t like this before.  It has the effect of the music feeling panned heavily on the left.  Does anyone know what might cause/rectify this. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Kind Regards[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Nick[/size]

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Could be bias fit issues, but unless you are anatomically asymmetric, I doubt that this is a problem. It could be a driver defect (or moisture/debris buildup) that you may need to take care of. What you can do is switch the channel wires and see if it is the channel. This is to insure that its not a wire problem. Than if the same right channel experiences the same problem the only thing you can do is try to use the earwax remover and attempt to remove any superficial debris from the channel. If worse comes to worst you have to turn it into Ultimate Ears and get it replaces (assuming you are still under warranty)

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Could be bias fit issues, but unless you are anatomically asymmetric, I doubt that this is a problem. It could be a driver defect (or moisture/debris buildup) that you may need to take care of. What you can do is switch the channel wires and see if it is the channel. This is to insure that its not a wire problem. Than if the same right channel experiences the same problem the only thing you can do is try to use the earwax remover and attempt to remove any superficial debris from the channel. If worse comes to worst you have to turn it into Ultimate Ears and get it replaces (assuming you are still under warranty)

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'll have a go at swapping the wire.  I was wondering whether it might be because I was wearing them working out, the comply tips were soaked with sweat (gross, I'm sorry) and feared this may have got in to the monitor.  Great headphones although I am constantly having trouble with them.

Thanks again.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Anyone?  The volume has returned to the right monitor but not at all to a "normal" level. Audio which I know is panned dead center still is being made to sound panned left, its like the right monitor is 20% quieter than the left. 

Thanks

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 15
^ Check how you connected the pins on the right monitor. This might be a "phase" issue; you may have wrongly connected the pins to the monitor, resulting in "out-of-phase" sound coming out from the right monitor.

If it's a moisture problem...maybe try leaving the monitors in a box of uncooked rice overnight? You can also try silica gel to remove the moisture.

Hope that helps.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 15

Yep thats a good idea, I'll try that over night. 

Thanks for getting back to me.

Quote:
^ Check how you connected the pins on the right monitor. This might be a "phase" issue; you may have wrongly connected the pins to the monitor, resulting in "out-of-phase" sound coming out from the right monitor.

If it's a moisture problem...maybe try leaving the monitors in a box of uncooked rice overnight? You can also try silica gel to remove the moisture.

Hope that helps.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 15
A good way to see what is wrong would be trying the flipflop mod, connect the right cable to the left ear piece and vice versa, if the right housing still sounds quieter, the problem lies in the drivers/ connectors.

Also, how high volume are you listening them to? there will be a imbalance in sound at very low volumes.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
A good way to see what is wrong would be trying the flipflop mod, connect the right cable to the left ear piece and vice versa, if the right housing still sounds quieter, the problem lies in the drivers/ connectors.

Also, how high volume are you listening them to? there will be a imbalance in sound at very low volumes.

[size=10pt]Hi Thanks for the reply.  I have tried the "flipflop" technique and yes its the monitor.  What’s strange is that the audio level in the right monitor is now around 90% of the left monitor.  Now this is a lot better than it was previously but it’s still VERY annoying.  I ve asked friends for their opinion as I thought perhaps i had gone deaf in the right ear!  they are agree.  Trying to get hold of anyone at logitech is near on impossible!  I’m listening to my music at normal/high volumes so wouldn’t be that.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks again for your reply.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]nick[/size]

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 15

[size=10pt]Still no luck with the right monitor.  I've tried drying it out in rice for the past few days.  Does anyone know whether you can buy a single monitor for these?  If so where?[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]My advice to anyone who is considering buying one of these is DONT.  Yes they sound amazing but when they go wrong (and I guarantee they will) Logitech don’t give a monkeys at all.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Many Thanks[/size]

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
[size=10pt]My advice to anyone who is considering buying one of these is DONT.  Yes they sound amazing but when they go wrong (and I guarantee they will) Logitech don’t give a monkeys at all.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

I respectfully disagree. I really think you had a freak case; or maybe your sweat clogged the filters. Either way, provided you have a valid warranty, you should contact logitech and have them replaced. If you do, ask them if they can process it as a cross-ship. In that scenerio, you ship your pair out with the shipping label they send you, then you call or reply to their e-mail letting them know you sent them out. Once they verify the other pair is on its way, they process and ship your replacement. Turnaround is usually less than a week.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 15
I've had my TF10s for three years without a problem. How long is your guarantee good for?

Quote:

[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 15
[size=10pt]Hi thanks for your replies and apologies for my lateness. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]The headphones were actually bought from eBay; they were sealed in the box and included a receipt.  Logitech have now said that the warranty cannot be transferred to my name and therefore there’s nothing they are willing to do.  At all.  [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks for your support.  [/size]

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 15
Ouch, that was a self-p0wn >.<
I consider it a white lie when I tell them it was a gift.
After all, the warranty should cover the product, not the user...

Perhaps you can try contacting the e-bay seller for options?

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Ouch, that was a self-p0wn >.<
I consider it a white lie when I tell them it was a gift.
After all, the warranty should cover the product, not the user...

Perhaps you can try contacting the e-bay seller for options?

[size=10pt]Thanks for your response.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I have contacted the eBay seller and to my surprise has been extremely helpful.  Just to let anyone know who is thinking of buying any UE products second hand:[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt][/size]
[size=13.5pt]Logitech warrants to the original purchaser that your Logitech hardware product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for the length of time, identified on your product package and/or contained in your user documentation, from the date of purchase. Your may also find this information by selecting your product in the Online Support section of our website at [/size][size=10pt][size=13.5pt]www.logitech.com/support[/size][/size][size=13.5pt]. Except where prohibited by applicable law, this warranty is nontransferable and is limited to the original purchaser. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary under local laws.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back