Ultimate Ears New Flagship iem Premier
May 4, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #31 of 75
some like me are so very lucky to have "simple" and straightforward canals... when you have complicated bends then it gets tricky...
I'd like to introduce you to that £$%#$£ of my left ear canal
Pro brands tend to do more compressive and deeper fits which I like best
Yes, that's the way to go, I concur.

May 4, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #32 of 75
The driver count and price tag seriously worry me. UE hasn't made an iem that I've liked since the UERR. Neither the 18 nor Live were to my tastes. I'm hoping that they have a legitimate reason for shoving nearly two dozen drivers into an iem and that this isn't some sort of cash grab. I thought that the market had moved on from the driver wars.

Any word on the tuning yet? Is it diffuse field or harman? Or perhaps something more like the UE Live? I'd love to see some graphs.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #34 of 75
Being a UE consumer for more than 10 years, here is some observation that I found quite interesting.
I have UE900s, UERR, UE 18+ (2gen), and UE Live with me. They are all CRAZY source sensitive.
Listening from Delta-sigma DAC sources with any filters except NOS makes sound annoying shouty or too thick. They sound best from "analog" sources or not from delta-sigma DACs.
Switching from "Harman tuning" iems to oldschool UE tuning, they sounds a muddy in the mids, 10-30 minutes brain burn-in sometimes fix it.
They are most sensatives to the cables.

May 13, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #35 of 75
Being a UE consumer for more than 10 years, here is some observation that I found quite interesting.
I have UE900s, UERR, UE 18+ (2gen), and UE Live with me. They are all CRAZY source sensitive.
Listening from Delta-sigma DAC sources with any filters except NOS makes sound annoying shouty or too thick. They sound best from "analog" sources or not from delta-sigma DACs.
Switching from "Harman tuning" iems to oldschool UE tuning, they sounds a muddy in the mids, 10-30 minutes brain burn-in sometimes fix it.
They are most sensatives to the cables.
So you're describing UE Premier there?

As anyone layed ears on those?

May 19, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #37 of 75
I'm surprised no one posted this link so I'll post here to hedge expectations:

[External Link] Reddit /r/headphones

There were more photos of the universal demo, but the photo site, imgur, got bought out and going through major changes ATM.

I'm post the comment and photos since the photos seem to be disappearing from the Internet, so it would be nice to have a backup in case both disappear.

[External Site (Reddit) Quote by user net-force]
Massive shell, 21 driver IEM, in USA UE only does customs except through Drop so in custom form it will be a little smaller but universal size it was probably one of the biggest IEMs I have ever used.

Weird FR without a doubt, hard to describe but was rather bassy but did not have much in the way of impact. Clarity decent but not outstanding, Wanted to like this considering my first CIEM was the UE18+ Pro Gen 2 but preference wise the UE Live had a preferrable bass in contrast. Treble was extended but the rather boomy bass overshadowed it. In way I think it has potential with some EQ as it does seem to have good techs but an awkward FR, not my cup of tea personally.

Did talk a bit at length to UE about this and including the creator of the Premier. He made this IEM as a sort of passion project for him. The goal wasn’t to make a reference sound like the UERR is going for, or something for live performances like the UE Live but rather to make an IEM that was detailed and full sounding.

I'm guessing Vincent Liu (Head of Product Development @ UE?) may not be running point on this. Not Reference so no interest. Not sure who the "creator @ UE" is that was mentioned, but doesn't seem "Pro" line Reference.

Photos, not mine, but net-force:

IPPP8j5.jpeg

PFlcQEu.png

GUymAvf.jpeg

AIK3YMu.jpeg
h8B2LQV.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #38 of 75
I would be very very cautious about passing judgment on a demo that is universal only and clearly the fit was not ideal the size on those means unless you're gifted with huge canals like I do there is little to no chance that what you're hearing is nowhere near the real experience.

It's already quite true of universal vs custom for a given model : differences are significant... now if it's only sold as custom it's for a reason...
So I'll wait on someone providing feedback based on customs. No way UE is that way off on a flagship, I don't believe it one second.

May 20, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #39 of 75
Yes, I agree. I want more than anything that this is a solid product as I only use UE Professional CIEMs. It's all about that perfect custom not good custom fit that @gorman mentioned and trust. I don't trust consumer IEMs or AliExpress IEMs no matter how much circle jerking goes on. Someone mentioned "Which AliExpress IEM to use for pro production use" and I Lol. I would not even trust AliExpress IEMs with my lossless TV Shows on my iPhone. Professional Gear only. I'm just posting because it's the only online user feedback available ATM, not that it's a definitive source. I believe that those that would be in the market for a premium product would know better and do their due diligence and not just rely on a single random source off the Internet.

Also, in California, we try to be aware of Cancer in products. I would never trust AliExpress products especially as a gift for loved ones. There are already reports of cancer detection in headphones which I long suspected.

[External Link] American Cancer Society

[External Link] California Warnings

[External Link] Reddit - Researchers detect cancer-causing chemicals in toys and headphones

I'm planning for future UE CIEMs as Graduation Gifts for loved ones so I need a level of trust. Since UE is in California, it should be compliance fine.

There are also Fake IEM drivers out there and copycat drivers. I would never consider any AliExpress items, pro stuff only.

[External Link] Knowles files claim with US Trade Commission to ban Bellsing Balanced Armatures accused of using trade secrets by former employees

So sketchy, I don't support any IP theft. AliExpress products is like importing Fentanyl in your audio gear, no thanks, easy punt/pass. Everyone trying to be cool kids with AliExpress gear. Good luck with the chemicals and fake internals. I'm good with Pro Gear especially from a SQ standpoint, so yes, yes, yes, I want more than anything for UE to spit out some good solid gear. I'm not trying to bash this product by posting a Reddit user's comments, I just want hope but it's not looking positive so far.

I don't trust Management types if this is one of their Pet Projects. I trust engineers like Vincent Liu, but I don't know the level of involvement he has with this product. UE Management be like, wouldn't it be cool for 21 drivers? It's like Kathleen Kennedy (Management that destroyed Star Wars) in Charge of Star Wars. I want someone running point to do this product right, but from the comments it seems more like a Management "trying to be cool" Pet Project than something for Pro-Use (Reference from the ground up).

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #40 of 75
I'm surprised no one posted this link so I'll post here to hedge expectations:

[External Link] Reddit /r/headphones

There were more photos of the universal demo, but the photo site, imgur, got bought out and going through major changes ATM.

I'm post the comment and photos since the photos seem to be disappearing from the Internet, so it would be nice to have a backup in case both disappear.

[External Site (Reddit) Quote by user net-force]

I'm guessing Vincent Liu (Head of Product Development @ UE?) may not be running point on this. Not Reference so no interest. Not sure who the "creator @ UE" is that was mentioned, but doesn't seem "Pro" line Reference.

Photos, not mine, but net-force:

IPPP8j5.jpeg

PFlcQEu.png

GUymAvf.jpeg

AIK3YMu.jpeg
h8B2LQV.jpeg
This is a troubling report. Of course, it isn't the final verdict but the UERRs are my favorite IEMs and I can tell from this description that the Premiers don't sound anything like those.

May 21, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #41 of 75
This is a troubling report. Of course, it isn't the final verdict but the UERRs are my favorite IEMs and I can tell from this description that the Premiers don't sound anything like those.

Yes, since some of the UERM/UERR posts recently got bumped up, I went through those threads. I like the comparison how UERM/UERR is like STAX (Near Perfect Flat Neutrality) in your head. That's basically all one needs is Reference. Add perfect custom comfort to that and makes me want to share my enjoyment with others as gifts. I feel safe with UE and there is a level of trust. It's like browsing Amazon after a search query, you get 1000s of AliExpress items and you just want to filter for that perfect safe high quality product that only ships and sold from amazon.com (Official not third-party).

My first reaction too. It's not UERR or Reference tuning with updated technology so I guess it's better to wait since the Product Cycle of the next UERR should be near.

UE is my only hope. Something along the lines of UERR was my primary for gifts anyways, but if a pricey item like the Premier is justifiable that would of been a good backup plan.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #42 of 75
My last post. I just wanted to post the Reddit thread and photos before it disappeared from the Internet, not stick around. Bye.

I'm not asking for much. UE already has the formula, but adding legroom for the lows and super tweeter legroom for the highs via upgraded technicalities would be a step in the right direction instead of exaggerated wonky anything just because of the extra drivers. Just keep the same formula but with extra legroom for dynamic swings. UE already has the perfect custom fit locked down.

UE has the know how and the resources, but they seem to lose the formula for whatever reason (Management?).

The accurate tone, excellent timbre, most natural CIEM, neutral with a hint of warm / neutral can still be replicated with extra drivers. Just something along the lines of UERM/UE18+Gen2 with technicality upgrades. Some of the top5 reviewers seem to agree on the tone and timbre consistently.

Anyways, I've been browsing some old posts that got bumped up recently and it finally hit me that "True Tone" drivers == accurate tone. I just passed it off as Marketing and never really thought twice about the naming until now.

Nic:

Excellent timbre:

So it depends on how you interpret the term reference. In the case of UE18+, it has a warmer than neutral and very natural signature, with excellent timbre; which arises as a result of a lower treble dip. So this would fit the traditional perspective, but clash with the latter, which would be my interpretation of 'reference'.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-13549942

Crinacle:

The UERM has been my reference (replacing the ER4, with itself being replaced by the UE18+ soon). It has also become my benchmark for midrange timbre, with tone accuracy surpassing even my TOTL IEMs.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nocturnal-atlantis.22510/reviews#review-18843

Yeah UE18+! Easily in the top 10 IEMs. Also my benchmark for tonal accuracy.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-13230109

Reference is good. Don't replicate the UE LIVE please.

Now, I loved the 18+ and it remains as my reference to this day.

Who knew that one of the OGs of the CIEM world would be jumping on the hybrid bandwagon? Paired with the glorious TrueTone drivers that provided the ridiculous extension of the UERR and the UE18+, this should be a competitive hybrid that plays with all the top dogs, shouldn't it?

Oh, how I wanted to love this so much. "A UE18+ with dynamic bass!" the hopefuls cried, not knowing of the horrors that the Live truly possessed. A monster that looms around in mud, fat on its diet of bass from the river, wailing out "I'm for musicians, not audiophiles!"

Okay, a little bit of storytelling hyperbole but I really did feel a sense of betrayal of sorts when I heard the Live. It was low resolution, extremely bloomy and had an odd tuning that I'm certain few audiophiles can really appreciate. It's kind of a low quality everything, especially when you have a wealth of other TOTL IEMs to compare it with directly. Now, I loved the 18+ and it remains as my reference to this day. The Live on the other hand... I guess it's better for it to be forgotten, lost to the history books like the original UE18 was.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list.857498/page-34#post-14318342

Here's a Youtube video I noticed on the Countour thread. The Youtuber mentions the UE18+ measures / is flat a few times and it's his reference too to compare against other IEMs for this professional. I believe it's his GOTO IEM:

the UE18+ are definitely deserving of the S grade

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list.857498/page-18#post-13895861

Perfect CIEM potential just by keeping the same formula but improving the technicalities:

More specifically, True Tone drivers are drivers that have its spout at the roof (diaphragm side) of the enclosure. Kind of like a proto-Tia driver if you will, first implemented on the UERR. UE's implementation of top-firing BAs seem to create the best treble extension on paper, surpassing even 64's Tia stuff.

I'm intrigued by the new UE Live. I've said that my perfect IEM would be a UERM/UE18+ with dynamic bass. Keeping my expectations low for now.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-14165467

There's "magic", just replicate the formula of UERM+UE18Gen2 w/ upgraded technicalities:

The UE18+ on the other hand was a complete 180 in tuning direction. Rather than filling the signature with bass and bloat to overcome the stage environment, the UE18+ was warm, smooth and characterised by a highly pleasant midrange. It wasn’t exactly neutral due to its warmth and relative slowness but its main draw was its presentation. Vocals sounded right, strings sounded right, winds sound right… it was essentially a midrange master. Sure, the drop in midtreble killed off quite a bit of snap and definition to plucked strings and percussions, but if that wasn’t a dealbreaker then one would be hard-pressed to find another monitor that did timbre like it.

In short, the UE18+ was something really unique in the audiophile game. It had, as my friends would call it, a certain “magic” or “special sauce” that made it such a joy to listen to. Make no mistake, to some it may still be reference monitor, but it was a monitor that sounded a lot more real than the typical sterility and dryness commonly associated with the studio sound.

[External Link] Crin's Site

These impressions are of course dated, but UE was on the right track. There's more, but I'll stop here. Just hoping it gets back on track and apply it to the Premier 1st Gen or 2nd Gen. That's all, out.

Last Note:

This seems interesting as it's the tracks used by UE to test CIEMs. But personally, I only use the finest well-mastered tracks, so I don't know if I would get around to trying these tracks but it seems like a worthwhile project one day:

[External Link] UE Test Tracks

I made a unrelated post here with some example well-mastered tracks but this is just tip of the iceberg. I'm a Big Believer in GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) and have a immaculate super tight CIEM chain. The only chain possible to do super fast transient attacks for Music that requires. Also soundstage, imaging, accuracy, layering of bass and spatial information are out of this world due to optimal chain improvements before it even hits the DAC. It's sort of like having fast twitch muscles. It's only possible with zero cut corners and full measures. To do UE Reference CIEMs right, you have to have the Perfect Super Neutral chain and cabling imo. Otherwise, it's not that Referency if the source and cable are out of sync like 99.9% of the source/cabling out there.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rec...cds-to-flac-for-newbies.968205/#post-17572106

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #43 of 75
Dear all,

Are there any further up-dates / Reviews for this new PREMIER (Custom only ?) model ?

Regards
Urs

I'm only surprised that the latest post is from MAY 2023 and no newer ones after

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #44 of 75
Dear all,

Are there any further up-dates / Reviews for this new PREMIER (Custom only ?) model ?

Regards
Urs

I'm only surprised that the latest post is from MAY 2023 and no newer ones after
I'm a little surprised too, but only a little, here on Head-Fi custom IEM models are not popular as people like to resell their stuff every few months.

Also free tours and demo units are not something Ultimate Ears does, perhaps?

I did try the PREMIER at Canjam London this year and liked what I heard but decided to go in a different direction, not that I have an issue with customs, I already own the 18+ Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back