Ultimate Ears Loud Enough Review
Aug 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
Ultimate Ears Loud Enough Review

First Impressions:  Well they look rather nice and not terribly horrible to remove from the box.  Oh I like that the little case is a lovely blue (rather than the crappy dark colour UE normally give you.)  What I see that I don’t like is that looking carefully it would appear that the big long “strain relief” is nothing of the sort.  Yes that’s right folks it’s not attached to the cable.  UE what the F!  Someone care to tell me what the hell you were thinking? 

Btw the review so far contains pretty much everything positive I have to say about these.

Source:  1G iPod shuffle (you know the one famed for being very powerful)

Lows:  Meh, yes it has them, they are so so.  When I listen to them for a little while I begin to think oh they aren’t so bad you know.  Then I stick the Brainwavz Alphas in my ears and realise they slaughter the Loud Enough’s.  Okay maybe slaughter is too strong a word but you get the idea, they aren’t anything special.  What is good is that there isn’t a boat load of it like on most low end things.

Mids:  Like the lows, it’s so so, nothing to hate or to love.  Naturally there is no sibilance and jumping out at you so that’s probably got to be taken as plus points.  The clarity over all is just disappointing.

Highs:  Urgh, I’m not sure it even has any.  I guess this is to prevent anything being harsh on a small child’s ears so I’m not going to claim this as a failing.  Given the target market this is probably a plus.  Nothing harsh here whatsoever.

Comfort:  Was fine for me.

Fit:  I assume these are little dynamic drivered things but I never got any driver flex noise happening but what I did note is that they can be a little air pressure sensitive.  A build up of pressure and sound gets worse.  What I don’t get is why these wouldn’t be vented given their target market.  That is just idiocy.

Microphonics:  I can’t say I found it overly to be a problem but a child moving about will get plenty.

Isolation:  Quite a lot really.  Why god only knows but with these in no child is going to hear traffic, kersplat goes the child.  On the bright side they won’t be distracted by other noises either or have to turn things up loud to hear the music.  Not that they could anyway.

Build quality:  Aside from the idiotic strain relief issue they do look and feel pretty nice and the little case is really quite nice.

Accessories:  Erm well it has that little case and a bunch of tips, really what else do you need.

Value:  Well I got these for £10 and I see them going for between £15 and £18 now and really I can’t say these are good value based on their audio quality.  Granted these have the special feature of being super quiet but with that strain relief or lack thereof they are not going to last hugely long.

Volume:  This is what the Loud Enough exists for, it just doesn’t go loud.  The 1G Shuffle can actually drive it louder than I want to listen to.  Oh and they distort horribly if you force them loud.  The 1G shuffle is a rare beast with a powerful amp so

Conclusion:  The Loud Enough’s are a marketing department creation.  Frankly it’s a badly implemented creation.  Why is in not vented?  Just what the hell were you people thinking making them so closed.  Do small kids need isolation to block out the noise of a busy commute?  The ones who may well do are going to probably not be wanting these, have a look at their site and you will realise its clearly being aimed at young kids.  Their website has a bunny rabbit on it.  These do manage to make things quiet enough so that the child wont me able to deafen themselves as they are rather quiet.  Actually they are very quiet. So if you’re worried about your child blasting music then these will solve that problem.  So would buying an impedance adapter and using that. Of course the child could figure out how to remove that though. 

The Loud Enough’s are a product I want to like and I rather like the idea but it’s been implemented by idiots.  That strain relief is a joke, do you think you can tell a child “no no, you have to pull them out by the plastic not the cable” yeah cause that will work!  The other problem is the lack of venting and as a secondary issue caused by that is the isolation.  So your child can yank the cable and burst their ear drums before being pounded into a pancake shape because they didn’t hear that bus hurtling towards them.

I don’t actually know if I will give these to my nephew as I intended, largely due to the pulling the cable and bursting his ear drums issue. (note I’m not saying it actually will burst someones ear drums just that i suspect and fear it might.) I just lack the confidence that the product is a safe one to use.  So all I can really say is Ultimate Ears, FAIL!

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 26
So Denon AHC751 it is, an IEM with the least amount of isolation I've ever used(pretty much like wearing earbuds bad), oh and vented plus great sound quality.  The Loud Enough seems to sell around $45 or so, and it sounds like there are probably a dozen well known other choices that would easily spank them, PL50 for example.  It's kind of a shame to tarnish the UE name with junk like this.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
Blame Logitech..
Ugh, it looks like its worth $20 at most

if that

Quote:
So Denon AHC751 it is, an IEM with the least amount of isolation I've ever used(pretty much like wearing earbuds bad), oh and vented plus great sound quality.  The Loud Enough seems to sell around $45 or so, and it sounds like there are probably a dozen well known other choices that would easily spank them, PL50 for example.  It's kind of a shame to tarnish the UE name with junk like this.

oh the PL-50 is on another planet to these, even their own Super.Fi 4's are too.  i agree it just tarnishes their name which maybe why there is no mention of them on the Ultimate Ears web site, it has their own http://www.loudenough.com/  would anyone but us round here know the UE means Ultimate Ears?

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 26
LOL.@ mark , entertaining review there mark , so not one of your favorites by the sound of it .
eek.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 26
Given the rubbish most kids listen to these days, they should do a version that's totally silent. 

Or - even better - an educational one that plays nice gentle folkie stuff everytime the brat tries to play chart music, r'n'b or hip hop. I would call these the Ultimate Fears THAT'S ENOUGH (OV DAT crap)

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
LOL.@ mark , entertaining review there mark , so not one of your favorites by the sound of it .
eek.gif

no i  cant say that it is.  thing is its not a terrible idea just spectaularly badly implimented.  change the strain relief so it has one and vent them so the kids wont burst their eardrums or get run over and i could be so much more positive about them.  obviously not about their sound quality but i could at least see them fulfilling a role. 

as they stand youd be better off buying deal extreme oranges and an impedance adapter off ebay (note ive not actually head the orange's)

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Given the rubbish most kids listen to these days, they should do a version that's totally silent. 

Or - even better - an educational one that plays nice gentle folkie stuff everytime the brat tries to play chart music, r'n'b or hip hop. I would call these the Ultimate Fears THAT'S ENOUGH (OV DAT crap)

LOL

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 26
Thanks for the review Mark... Looks like my son won't have to grow into them... When the time comes, I'll just buy him a nice pair of half decent sounding AKG earphones with the crappy volume control and apply a drop of crazyglue to it at the right setting :) (or open it up and solder in an impedance adapters guts)

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 26
Because Mark started this thread, I checked it out.

Because the review was so entertaining, I couldn't stop reading!  

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Thanks for the review Mark... Looks like my son won't have to grow into them... When the time comes, I'll just buy him a nice pair of half decent sounding AKG earphones with the crappy volume control and apply a drop of crazyglue to it at the right setting :) (or open it up and solder in an impedance adapters guts)

lol yes you realise the only reason i actually wrote the review up was because you made me (that and i realised there didnt seem to be any reviews of them anywhere)

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Sure, blame it on me

I only said yes when you asked if you should review them...

But anyway, I appreciate the effort and thank you for saving me some money, they actually cost € 45 over here... and not to mention for giving me a good laugh :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 26
Before commenting so negatively on the product, did you test the strain relief in any way shape or form? how do you know that they are not attached inside that tube, perhaps with a crimp fit or glued internally? you state that they are likely to pull apart, how do you know this? 

You also say that they distort before they go loud. How do you know this? My experience with Ipods of any generation is that they distort/clip well before the top of their volume controls with anything recorded even slightly warm....

They may not be quite as bad as they sound from your review. I have hope.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 26
I was about to suggest these to my sister... she liked the color, and they where by UE. Then I saw that the MetroFi 220 is only $30 at my local B-Buy (they used to be $80!) I think I'll steer well clear of these.

@nikongod: I agree with your assessment of the iPod... It's even worse when you apply the laughable 'bass boost' EQ... What nonsense. Maybe the Loud Enough can be improved with a better source or an EQ to compensate for it's sub par SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back