Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Nov 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #376 of 733

That would miss the point of the product.  A neutral sound for engineers to mix on the road.  We don't want colored sound.  We want to hear what's there.

These are reference monitors, not listening monitors.  The bass is designed for accuracy.

I don't think the neutrality would change if there was a little bit more volume below 37hz or so. The fourth driver doesn't need to change the FR either, just help with bass impact and rumble.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #377 of 733

I don't think the neutrality would change if there was a little bit more volume below 37hz or so. The fourth driver doesn't need to change the FR either, just help with bass impact and rumble.

My point is-- there's a product for people who want enhanced bass-- The Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors.  The standard UERMs are tuned for accuracy.  You can get enhanced bass through the listener-tuned personal model.

ADDED: The UE 11 Pros have your 4th driver.  I would plead with UE not to mess up a perfect product for those who require neutrality.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #378 of 733
I think the UERM is just fine as it is. The additional bass leads me to believe it may be a JH13 but I won't know until the weekend when I pick up them up from my audiologist. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #379 of 733

My point is-- there's a product for people who want enhanced bass-- The Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors.  The standard UERMs are tuned for accuracy.  You can get enhanced bass through the listener-tuned personal model.

ADDED: The UE 11 Pros have your 4th driver.  I would plead with UE not to mess up a perfect product for those who require neutrality.

I don't think you're quite understanding me here... So i'll just say that I enjoy the UERMs the way that they are, but of course there can be improvements with just about any product.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #380 of 733
  I think the UERM is just fine as it is. The additional bass leads me to believe it may be a JH13 but I won't know until the weekend when I pick up them up from my audiologist. 

Hey Rawrster,
I'm looking forward to your 'impressions'. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #381 of 733
I get the sense thegunner100 feels the UERM lacks sub-bass extension.. not that it needs the sub-bass boosted (which is what reeltime is interpreting his comments to indicate, I think).

I've got both the UERM & JH13 FP.. and I find them complimentary enough to share a place in one's collection.. while both maintain a relatively neutral character.  The JH13 has a "downward sloping," Olive-Welti-inspired tuning.. the UERM's tuning feels more DF-inspired.  The UERM is certainly brighter.. but it rarely, if ever, feels harsh, uneven, peaky, or unnaturally bright.  I've found myself becoming very sensitive to treble tuning.. more specifically, I desire linearity and evenness in the treble (not necessarily a shelved down, rolled off treble).. and the UERM delivers that better than most any "bright sounding" IEM or custom IEM I've heard.  The UERM reminds me of what I wished the RE272 (an IEM I loved.. but found lacking bass extension, texture, and impact.. midrange body.. and it had some slight treble "un-evenness" issues, to my ears) sounded like.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #382 of 733
  I get the sense thegunner100 feels the UERM lacks sub-bass extension.. not that it needs the sub-bass boosted (which is what reeltime is interpreting his comments to indicate, I think).

Yes, that is what I meant. I couldn't think of the word when I posted xD

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #383 of 733
The downward slope thing is not Olive-Welti inspired tuning. It's been around forever in audio engineering and some speaker building circles. It's true that Olive's recent research has confirmed that a downward slope (of about 10db according to his studies) is ideal / desirable. The extent of this slope is debatable with some studio guys preferring 6db. That includes me. (A 10db slope is way too laid back sounding for me.)

Olive-Welti did come up with a compensation curve for their headphone measuring coupler which translates to this "ideal" curve.

The UERM was based on the Yamaha NS10. That's a fairly forward slightly brightish sounding studio monitor where audio engineers used to argue about how many layers and what brand of toilet paper to put over the tweeter. I am not kidding about this.

As for the subbass extension issue, use EQ to boost bass at 30Hz a few db. It works.
If you don't like bright, use EQ to tame the treble. That works too.
The good thing about the UERM is that it has a smooth and coherent sound signature, so EQ works very well.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #384 of 733

What I'm saying is the custom earbuds gunner is asking for already exists in 2 different products, the UEPRM (Personal Reference Monitor) and/or the UE11 Custom, which has a 4th driver, and extends bass.

Why mess up what is already a great, flat set of monitors (in the UERM), when what you're looking for already exists?  Make sense?

Capitol Records engineers spent a great deal of time and effort helping UE produce a flat set of monitors for people who work in the field.  It's a tool many of us have come to rely on.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #386 of 733
This is the exact reason I got the UERM! EQing with it, you can easily tune the sound however you want

One big reason I want the UERM is the other half of his statement. Smooth (but not smoothed over) and coherent. It's one if the few things I agree with him on :p
The tuning is... I hope someone got a raise.

It's probably the most coherent sounding multi driver IEM I've heard. I wish I dreamed about it. :smile:

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #387 of 733
  The downward slope thing is not Olive-Welti inspired tuning. It's been around forever in audio engineering and some speaker building circles. It's true that Olive's recent research has confirmed that a downward slope (of about 10db according to his studies) is ideal / desirable. The extent of this slope is debatable with some studio guys preferring 6db. That includes me. (A 10db slope is way too laid back sounding for me.)

Olive-Welti did come up with a compensation curve for their headphone measuring coupler which translates to this "ideal" curve.

The UERM was based on the Yamaha NS10. That's a fairly forward slightly brightish sounding studio monitor where audio engineers used to argue about how many layers and what brand of toilet paper to put over the tweeter. I am not kidding about this.

+2... great explanation

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #388 of 733
I'll probably order the JH13 Pro FP if they do a good Black Friday promotion. I think there are some recordings that are obviously mastered with a bit more bass boost. In the meantime the EQ in the AK120 pumped up a bit in the 35Hz range sounds pretty darn good for those tracks.
And frankly I don't think I have a great seal. Compared to the universal demo pair mine have a touch less bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back