Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Jan 23, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #662 of 733
Just got mine in today, and they haven't left my ears. Really digging them with my Fiio X5 atm. 

Quick question: Has anyone run these on a balanced amplifier (desk or portable)? Any major improvements in balanced vs SE?

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #663 of 733
Any pics?  Just want to get an idea if there are differences from John's.  He commented on how shallow it is compared to the NT-6. Curious if they are typically shallow.  Also, notice any differences from what you heard of the demo?  Several sources tried, and notice differences in what is heard?

My UERM (Dec 2011) and NT6 V2 (July 2014) are both awesome. They are somehow very similar, but due to the musician fit, NT6 goes very deep to the ear and they create better impact of low frequencies inside your head. UERM are much more comfortable for longer listening sessions, they have pretty short canals and I believe it is also the reason of not so prominent bass. Even their signature is pretty similar (revealing, non forgiving, resolving, anything you can describe as a studio production flat monitor), they complement each other. UERM seems more revealing, they are 100% not forgiving to any recording especially with the mid and high frequencies, but If I want to check how the track really kicks with the lows I use NT6. Graphs of my pieces attached. Definitely recommend both of them, especially when Massdrop offers such a price.

EDIT : I'm sure - UERM reshelled by Hidition into the musician fit, should be the masterpiece.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #664 of 733
  Any pics?  Just want to get an idea if there are differences from John's.  He commented on how shallow it is compared to the NT-6. Curious if they are typically shallow.  Also, notice any differences from what you heard of the demo?  Several sources tried, and notice differences in what is heard?

My UERM (Dec 2011) and NT6 V2 (July 2014) are both awesome. They are somehow very similar, but due to the musician fit, NT6 goes very deep to the ear and they create better impact of low frequencies inside your head. UERM are much more comfortable for longer listening sessions, they have pretty short canals and I believe it is also the reason of not so prominent bass. Even their signature is pretty similar (revealing, non forgiving, resolving, anything you can describe as a studio production flat monitor), they complement each other. UERM seems more revealing, they are 100% not forgiving to any recording especially with the mid and high frequencies, but If I want to check how the track really kicks with the lows I use NT6. Graphs of my pieces attached. Definitely recommend both of them, especially when Massdrop offers such a price.

EDIT : I'm sure - UERM reshelled by Hidition into the musician fit, should be the masterpiece.

Interesting! I just got my pair and they look like the NT6, maybe even deeper? 

Hard to say VS the demo unit since it's been so long since I used it. From what stood out bass definitely is deeper, better sense of space (hard to describe, but not soundstage or imaging, but space between instruments), and a bit clearer.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #666 of 733
My initial impressions of the UERM here.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information/4530#post_11272053

Interesting! I just got my pair and they look like the NT6, maybe even deeper? 

Mine are extended as much as my NT-6 as well.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #667 of 733
I took delivery of my UERM's.  Unfortunately, the fit on the right results in a fair amount of pain when I'm using them more than a few minutes.  I have reached out to UE by phone (got a recording so I left a message) and by email in an attempt to figure out how to get the fit right.  I used the recommended audiologist in my city so I'm not sure what needs to be done next.

Anyone else have fitment issues and if so any luck getting a response from UE?

I listented to them through my Woo WA7 and external DAC, but it is difficult to gauge how I feel about them when I cannot get comfortable.

Thanks.

HS

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #668 of 733

I ordered my UERM's at a show and was fitted on the spot by their in-house audiologist. I've had several CIEMs and these are by far the most comfortable. That said, I know they have a re-fit policy, but you may need a new impression sent in or a review of what they delivered compared to the molds you provided. My experience with their customer service was exemplary-as several others have noted. Perhaps you called before or after normal hours? They always answered the phone when I called-I'm in the same time zone. Ask for Jazmin Sandoval. She is among the best customer service representatives I have ever experienced.
Sorry about the fit, that does spoil the experience and I find the SQ amazing. The bass is so accurate and plenty deep. Great soundstage, smooth highs. The only issue is a poor recording. They are unforgiving.
Hang in for a resolution. It's worth it.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #669 of 733
Just got mine in the mail last night....    they fit perfectly and they sound better than what I thought they would...  happy camper here...  :)
They fit so well that last night I was listening to them for about 3 hours and having a great time with them...  time to go to bed I started to take them out and guess what...  they don't come out like a universal...  for a short period of time I thought they were stuck in my ears....  then I remember reading about how to release them...  thumb nail at the bottom of where they meet at the ear lobe, push up with your thumb nail a little, they release and you just un screw them...  

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #670 of 733

I ordered my UERM's at a show and was fitted on the spot by their in-house audiologist. I've had several CIEMs and these are by far the most comfortable. That said, I know they have a re-fit policy, but you may need a new impression sent in or a review of what they delivered compared to the molds you provided. My experience with their customer service was exemplary-as several others have noted. Perhaps you called before or after normal hours? They always answered the phone when I called-I'm in the same time zone. Ask for Jazmin Sandoval. She is among the best customer service representatives I have ever experienced.
Sorry about the fit, that does spoil the experience and I find the SQ amazing. The bass is so accurate and plenty deep. Great soundstage, smooth highs. The only issue is a poor recording. They are unforgiving.
Hang in for a resolution. It's worth it.

I am two hours ahead (CST) and I called after 10am PST so I figure those are work hours.  Called again several times later as well and all I get is a recording on the "service" option.  Perhaps I ought to try "sales" but that feels disingenuous.  I also emailed them and received an auto reply that they received my request but nothing in writing either.  I simply want support so I do not much care how it comes.

I agree I will likely need a refit at the recommended audiologist, but I hate to go and do that until I reach agreement with UE on the appropriate path forward.

I am glad you are happy with your UERM's.  I hope to get there.  I have had a listen via my Woo WA7 amp and Beresford Caiman MkII DAC of FLAC files.  They definitely offer a lot of resolution.  They can reproduce bass OK.  I would not call it plenty deep personally, but hey...different strokes and these are supposed to be RM's so I didn't have expectations of big bass anyhoo.

HS

EDIT:  I finally got hold of a human and it was Jazmin.  Very friendly and professional!

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #671 of 733
Might have to send mine back, the right side gets slightly muffled whenever a vacuum seal is achieved...

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #672 of 733
Might have to send mine back, the right side gets slightly muffled whenever a vacuum seal is achieved...

What I learned was you really need to reach someone to get a response...don't rely on leaving a VM or email.  Second, you'll have to return them and mark them where they need to be adjusted.  How exactly we're to know where deep in the ear canal the CIEM is making contact I have yet to figure out.  You mark where you want it adj'd with a sharpie and describe the issue as best as possible.

When you do reach someone, they'll ask for your email and send you an RMA.  Pay attention to what it contains...mine had an address in South Carolina...I live in TX and had sent them my address as part of the process.  Don't ask...I haven't a clue how that happened.  The turnaround is 7-10 days once they receive your CIEM's.

Best of luck with yours.  I'm hoping to get mine to fit so I can enjoy them.  

HS

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #673 of 733

What I learned was you really need to reach someone to get a response...don't rely on leaving a VM or email.  Second, you'll have to return them and mark them where they need to be adjusted.  How exactly we're to know where deep in the ear canal the CIEM is making contact I have yet to figure out.  You mark where you want it adj'd with a sharpie and describe the issue as best as possible.

When you do reach someone, they'll ask for your email and send you an RMA.  Pay attention to what it contains...mine had an address in South Carolina...I live in TX and had sent them my address as part of the process.  Don't ask...I haven't a clue how that happened.  The turnaround is 7-10 days once they receive your CIEM's.

Best of luck with yours.  I'm hoping to get mine to fit so I can enjoy them.  

HS

Mine's up till the 2nd bend.

I'll send them along with a fresh set of impressions, can't really identify the problem but it's there.

Problem could be due to the impressions I sent the first time round, it ends right at the 2nd bend.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #675 of 733
I'm wondering why UE only prints two initials on their CIEMs' shells. I was told only two were possible. Strange, as I've seen an artist's UE11 Ambient having three initials.
Yet I'm wondering if silicone shells are still available since they changed to laser printed shells.

Nonetheless I really like my UERM even though it only has two initials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back