Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Jul 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #571 of 733
  I use a voice cable and all voice cables are black. 
tongue.gif

Pourquoi? Is it the matte style one like the UE900/UE4 cable?

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #572 of 733
At the risk of getting flamed by anti cable people I will post this anyway.  I have noticed a slight difference in sound coming from the 48 vs 64" cables.  Now whether this is due to the difference in length or just a slight difference in the cable manufacturing is anybody's guess.  My A-B impressions are that the 64" cable takes just a tiny amount of the razor sharp edge of high end resolution away from the sound.  Violins lose a tiny bit of that scratchiness of the bowing, etc.  That being said, does anybody know of any good aftermarket cables that will fit the connectors on these, or should I just stick with the 48" black cable?

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #573 of 733
  At the risk of getting flamed by anti cable people I will post this anyway.  I have noticed a slight difference in sound coming from the 48 vs 64" cables.  Now whether this is due to the difference in length or just a slight difference in the cable manufacturing is anybody's guess.  My A-B impressions are that the 64" cable takes just a tiny amount of the razor sharp edge of high end resolution away from the sound.  Violins lose a tiny bit of that scratchiness of the bowing, etc.  That being said, does anybody know of any good aftermarket cables that will fit the connectors on these, or should I just stick with the 48" black cable?

You can probably get the cables from Unique Melody that fit their UE-copycat sockets, but they AFAIK the cable costs more than ordering from UE themselves ($50 vs. $39, IIRC) and it's not like it's any better.

Few people make UE-custom compatible pin connectors; you certainly won't find a "bigger" aftermarket builder making them, such as Whiplash, ALO, DHC, etc. You'd have to order the DIY ones from somewhere like Lunashops (http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2322) or get your cable builder to source them for you (they might get a better price than what Lunashops charges online). Someone like Ted Allen (Ted's Headfood) or Christian Oliver (plusSound) can probably work with you to build a nice quality and relatively affordable (<$100, maybe?) aftermarket cable that fits UE CIEMs.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #574 of 733
One thing I will say about these is, while they are low impedance and quite sensitive, they do require a decent bit of current.  Most IEMs sound good unamped straight out of ipods, or other DAPs but I've noticed that these, while they don't sound BAD out of a DAP, they don't really sound a lot better than other IEMs until they have an amp with some decent current and voltage swing driving them.  Bass and Treble extension suffers a bit.  To me it sounded like they had somewhat flat weak bass, and sort of smoothed over treble, didn't quite have that scratchy razor sharp "resolve every last detail" treble that they're capable of.

Just some quick thoughts is all, hope you're all enjoying your UERMs.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #575 of 733
Has anyone found that the silver cable turned green over time?

I have a demo UERM in my hands and the cable is very very slightly turning greenish. It makes it look like a dull grey at first glance.. Not bad though. If it got worse I'd probably prefer the black cable.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #576 of 733

I have a demo UERM in my hands and the cable is very very slightly turning greenish. It makes it look like a dull grey at first glance.. Not bad though. If it got worse I'd probably prefer the black cable.

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Actually interested in seeing the UERM demo 
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #577 of 733

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Actually interested in seeing the UERM demo 
biggrin.gif
)

sure thing. i'll try to get some up tonight. :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #578 of 733
It's about time Luis.  It's a fantastic monitor.  You will hear what the FR will not show.  :)  Clarity and details.  It's source dependent.  It sounds better with better sources.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #580 of 733
  I have a demo UERM in my hands

The demo is nice, but it's still less even-sounding than the real thing. Make sure you try to get as deep of a fit as possible. I wasn't able to because my canals are somewhat size-limited, but the real thing is definitely much more even sounding.

Based on reviews, i think i fit it deeper than most. I get a very even response, it's not the most comfortable, but the customs should fix that.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #581 of 733
Here are some pics of the demo unit. I'd show you the nozzle, but I'm not taking them out of my ears! :p Not now. Maybe later.

Photos don't really show the color of the cable well,  because it's a sort of dull silver material. I think the dullness is part of the oxidation over time. I'm guessing it was shinier when it was new. The green is more obvious in real life when you see it under normal lighting. Not sure how obvious it is in the pictures. It isn't bad by any means, but it is there and I'm guessing time will only make it worse... I wouldn't care though personally, but if I had a choice I'd go black.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #582 of 733
I don't want to jump to conclusion, and i'm still getting used to these. However, i must say, I believe these might be the best earphones i've ever heard.

I'm a huge er4s red filter fan and i like the tenore and other neutralish earphones. But these take the cake. I don't even have the custom fit version. These are a demo universal and they sound phenomenal. I mean, damn.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #583 of 733
I gave the demo version a short listen together with the ak120. Not my rig, but those sure sound good!

Got to go back to give it a try with my phone though.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #584 of 733
  I don't want to jump to conclusion, and i'm still getting used to these. However, i must say, I believe these might be the best earphones i've ever heard.

I'm a huge er4s red filter fan and i like the tenore and other neutralish earphones. But these take the cake. I don't even have the custom fit version. These are a demo universal and they sound phenomenal. I mean, damn.

Yep.. I found the demo to have a slightly goosed up midbass (nothing egregious.. pretty well done, actually).. and a little more bite/sibilance in the upper mids/lower treble.

IME, a custom fit UERM has a noticeably flatter freq. response.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #585 of 733
I just had the best customer service experience ever!  My UERM needed a bit of minor attention.  From first contact to expedited service, the entire experience was exemplary!  As a Judge (really) I don't award these accolades lightly.  Her name is Jazmin at UltimateEars Customer service.  She's a "wow".  And so are my UERM's coupled with the Astell & Kern AK240......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back