ultimate ears 700
Apr 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #16 of 25
^ Does sound quality improve?
regular_smile .gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 25
well, the sound quality remains the same, ie, good, but still distorts at rubbishly low volume.

i have tried it straight out the back of my soundcard, sansa clip+ mp3, iphone.

all the same.

i went running with the on last night, with the sony earbuds they didnt fall out !!

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 25
the ue700 is a great iem.

check the equalizer, the tips, or anything blocking inside the tips, or check the wiring of your ue700.
try also asking ue in their hotline regarding your concern...

they might help you replace that.

they are well detailed iems, should sound their best!

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 25
you're not getting a proper seal (hence the earphones falling out) and your cranking up the volume to compensate. That's why they sound like garbage. The fact that you're complaining about how they sound AT FULL VOLUME tells me something's wrong here. You shouldnt be listening to something w/ that low impedance at full voume if proper seal is achieved.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 25
Not going to speculate on the problem, but there clearly is a unique issue here.  I've had the 700s for a couple of months now, and I may actually have begun to prefer them to my SE530s and Image X10s.  And believe me, I know how to CRANK them UP, and no hint of distortion.  The falling out issue is separate problem, I've found the Shure tri-flanges work great and sound better than anything else (gets rid of some sibilance the phones used to have).

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Not going to speculate on the problem, but there clearly is a unique issue here.  I've had the 700s for a couple of months now, and I may actually have begun to prefer them to my SE530s and Image X10s.  And believe me, I know how to CRANK them UP, and no hint of distortion.  The falling out issue is separate problem, I've found the Shure tri-flanges work great and sound better than anything else (gets rid of some sibilance the phones used to have).

You prefer them over the X10, I have the X10 too! Now I'm sure that i'm gonna get the 700s

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 25
iPhones have an impedance of 32 ohm. Whereas UE 700s are 40 ohm. I have the same issue with distortion. I use the them with ipod touch 4th gen and the 700s distort at about 80-90% volume ( depending on genre ). On some tracks they don't distort at all and can go very loud.

I believe it's something with amplification / sound card. In professional audio field apple devices are well known for crappy sound quality. I can confirm this. When I use my 700s on my computer they sound more cleaner and don't distort at all. All frequencies are controlled better and sound stage becomes wider. Bear in mind the sound card is onboard but is way still better than iPhones.

My next move is to purchase an amplifier that is specifically designed for iPhones and iPods. ( Fiio E1 iPod amplifier )

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #25 of 25
I generally don't like the new UE products and have gone so far as to boycott them despite using them since I was 16.

However the 700's are actually good IEMs and they are night and day better than what you're probably used to in almost every regard.

I came here to suggest that it's likely that you got a defective pair. My original pair had the problems you were describing and after reading all this awesome stuff about how good they were and how they were the SF5 Pro + some ergo and cable improvements, of course I had to have one!

Everything sounded really tinny and it felt like I had broken drivers. The internal wiring is very sensitive and if you've ever opened up an IEM like I have, there are a few ways for things to go wrong.

Have them looked at by Logitech/UE and they'll set you straight, the UE700's are no slouch especially at loud volumes, but yes due to their sensitivity they will distort ONLY if your source doesn't put out clean power. The SNR of an ipod is quesitonable and I 've found that you really get distortion out of any headphone at that sort of volume. My Zune personally didn't have any problems but the point is that you don't have what seems to be a working pair.

I don't think it's a seal issue, they're very easy to fit and I don't doubt your ability to wear them properly at all, I just think you have a wonky pair that I regret is causing you some difficulties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back