Ultimate Ears 600 VS other in ears in $100 Category??
Mar 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sivad07

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, I wanted to buy a IEM within $100 to use on my music phone. Since carrying my grado SR60i is like carrying an octopus on your head but sounds great. I want to use IEM for daily use which is easily portable.

I checked so many reviews, most of them being old reviews which keep recommending Klipsch s4, Etymotics HF3, and Bose in ears 2.

Well, these old reviews can be mis leading.

Since there are new earphones in the market which have not been heard by most of these people. I was trying to point out at Ultimate ears 600 here which comes under $100 category. Specs look impressive.

Can anyone who has actually compared the Ultimate Ears 600 with any other $100 earphone. Please let me know how the UE600 sound in comparision with others and give me some valuable suggestions So i can decide on keeping the octopus (grado SR60i) at home and enjoy music on the move.

By the way Grado SR60i sounds amazing to hear music at home. Right now I am looking for portability.

(If there are no one Answering here.I would be going ahead with UE600)

Cheers. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Since I did not get anyone answering.. I started digging for it myself. I only found one person having UE600 & UE700 who has given his review. I've copied it here so other could make sound judgement:

Looks like I'm going against the norm with this post. I own both the UE700 and UE600 and I'm waiting on the Tri Fi10 to be delivered by Amazon. If plenty of bass is the overriding factor you're looking for the UE600 has a warmer sound and a thumpier bass. The UE700 is closer to a neutral signature (not truly neutral in my book but whatever) compared to the UE600 but it won't thump like the UE600. The UE700 will give you far better detail retrieval though with nice fluid mids to boot and it's general sound signature is more aggressive compared to the more laid back sounding UE600. Which of the two you decide on comes down to what compromises you're willing to accept. If you want a warmer bassier sound that's more mainstream and easy to gravitate to the UE600 might be the better choice.. If you want a technically better IEM which brings better detail retrieval and aggression to the table at the cost of a less thumpier bass then the UE700 might be the better choice. Personally I love my UE700 to death but I won't fudge the facts, the UE600 has the thumpier bass not the clearest bass mind you but it can thump. Good luck hope my post was helpful

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 11
I made this thread about UE600 a few days ago. The measurements for this IEM looked very impressive to me and I decided to try a pair myself. What I found was a real treasure. I find that this IEM really does sound to my ears as well as it measures. Maybe it's placebo, I don't know. But I don't care because I enjoy these immensely right now. That may pass with time, but for now I find them better than almost any other IEM I ever tried. The thing about UE600 that impresses me most is how they seem to hit the perfect balance between warmth, clarity and detail. They are clear, but don't have the unnatural hyper clarity that many other balanced armature and some dynamic IEMs provide trying to impress the listener, but ending up creating an unnaturally bright and sterile sound that doesn't sound like real life. UE600 is a lot like Shure IEMs in this regard IMO. I also find them very similar to Shure IEMs in other ways too. Actually I find that they are eerily close to Shure SE535 in sound presentation as well as overall sound quality. UE600s have a surprisingly deep and immersive sound stage that is not unlike that of SE535. They also provide excellent dynamics that are close to the level of triple driver balance armature IEMs and great dynamic driver IEMs, which is very surprising considering that they use a single BA driver that usually is quite limited in its reproduction of dynamic range. I think the secret here that the driver that UE600 uses is positioned in a special manner that allows it to have more headroom for a more natural and dynamic sound reproduction (the "top firing" driver as the they call it). But anyway, who cares. the sound that these little gems produce is simply stunning for the price. There are some recording that I have that only a small handful of headphones are able to reproduce properly in my opinion - only the best of the best - and UE600 is one of them. They have strikingly accurate tonality, coupled with a surprisingly good soundstage and dynamics, and enough detail without it sounding overly analytical. For my needs and preferences (I favor warm, smooth, rich sound with great bass, mids, dynamics and enough high end detail) they are pretty much perfect. I highly recommend them as most likely the best IEM I've heard in the $100 and under range and one of the best I ever heard regardless of price.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Graph looks good. I checked your post. Since UE500 & UE600 are pretty new in the market, I was looking for someone to give a review on how they perform V/s other IEMs of $100 range. Well its sad to see people who have not compared The UE600 with others giving their opinion and newbies getting mislead.

Anyways since I got a great deal for $88 on the UE600 I have ordered for them online. I am excited and anxious.I'l give you my opnion soon.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Graph looks good. I checked your post. Since UE500 & UE600 are pretty new in the market, I was looking for someone to give a review on how they perform V/s other IEMs of $100 range. Well its sad to see people who have not compared The UE600 with others giving their opinion and newbies getting mislead.

Anyways since I got a great deal for $88 on the UE600 I have ordered for them online. I am excited and anxious.I'l give you my opnion soon.

UE600 = UE SF5 (non pro model)...  I remember someone saying that UE confirmed themselves as well.  There is plenty about the 600s.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Checked in you tube the review of UE SF5 (non pro model)... Yeah it looks same as UE600 WOW.. hoping the sound signatures are also the same :wink:.. already placed the order may get the shipment in 3 to 4 days.. lets c.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 11
A couple of months ago, I tried both the 600s and the 700s at a store. I liked the 600s because they include the in-line controls, but I ultimately purchased the 700s because (a) I thought they sounded dramatically better and (b) the smaller size was more comfortable. After a short while, buyer's remorse took over. I missed having the in-line controls and returned the 700s, deciding that I would listen to a few more and later make my purchase.

I just bought the 600s because they have the in-line controls and sound better than other IEMs I tried. I tried many (MANY) other IEMs around the same price point (give or take $40), including Klipsch, Etymotic, Bose, and B&W (some of these cost more, I think; it's been a while since I looked at all the prices). Although I preferred the sound of the 700s to the 600s, among those with in-line controls I liked the 600s most.

Now that I've been using the 600s for a little while, buyer's remorse is coming back in a VERY BIG WAY. I love the convenience of the in-line controls, but I miss the sound of the 700s. Honestly, if I end up without in-line controls I probably will end up going with a pair of Shures, but then the ones that cost about $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back