Ultimate Beginner Questions!
Nov 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

akuakuka

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Im thinking of buying new headphones, but with my poor english skills and the huge amount of information im getting i just cant decide, so i tought ill make a new thread.

So i dont have any experience of headphones or amplifiers. I have read a lot of AKG k701 and Beyerdynamics DT880. They both seem nice but, its easier for me to purchase AKG.

My music preference is from Rammstain to Pink Floyd, but i dont listen to blues, jazz or classical.

Would DAC improve sound quality, because im going to use my motherboards soundcard to play FLACs? Is it possible to buy DAC + Amplifier + Headphones under 400€? I dont eaven know any places to start looking for amplifiers of DACs, so help is appreciated.

-akuakuka

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 9
I can answer at least one question for you. The DACs built into motherboards are almost without exception complete and utter junk. They usually cost pennies and are there simply to allow the manufacturer to check off a box on a list of "features".

That said, your best best as an absolute beginner is to get a decent set of headphones you like the sound signature of, and build around that. Don't try and build a system to make your headphones sound the way you want, buy headphones you like the general tendancies of and build your system to tweak those cans to your liking.

Even motherboard sound will be enough to get you started on your way, but it should be one of the first options on your list to upgrade once you get rolling.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 9
FLACs through any sort of digital output (Toslink or RCA) to a decent dedicated DAC will be a fine setup for a long long time (until your setup is many thousands of dollars). Digital outputs bypass the crap DACs built into the motherboard.

There are many many DAC + amplifier combos. I built my system with a dedicated soundcard that has decent DACs built in, before dedicated DACs became the big thing. I'm not the right guy to advise you on that.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 9
You might want to look at a high quality DAC/Amp soundcard option like the Asus Xonar. I believe it can be had for under $200. Then a set of ATH-M50's and your good to go.
atsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 9
A great Amp/DAC combo would be the Total BitHead from Headroom, or one of the many offerings from iBasso Audio.  You could pair one of these with either the beyerdynamic or AKGs and get fantastic results.  

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Take a look at the audio - gd nfb-11 

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
A great Amp/DAC combo would be the Total BitHead from Headroom, or one of the many offerings from iBasso Audio.  You could pair one of these with either the beyerdynamic or AKGs and get fantastic results.  

Thanks for the help, but im so silly that i would prefer something more "hifi-looking".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back