UK meets, getting a UK CAN JAM going on..
May 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #61 of 90
Hmmmmmmmm, This is lining up to be a complicated one...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know an estimate of how many UK headfiers there are (actively)?

I was thinking, since the US folks have a head Jam, why can't we start thinking about organizing one yearly as well?

From what I can gather everyone's very far apart (and forgive me for stating the obvious) as such, I think it would be towards our benefit if we started getting our heads together and organizing something of a permanent nature (with variable venues year after year).

As for the NW/Manchester meet, I'm starting to get the impression that it would be better just for the local folks for the time being...

As was said before last year's meet was fantastic, but unfortunately people this year are a little busy...
cool.gif

J

May 14, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #62 of 90
An annual UK event is an excellent idea. We're much more likely to get manufacturers/retailers/sponsors involved if it's a regular occurance.

People are generally busier during the summer months, hence the problems being encountered in this thread. IIRC the last Manchester meet was in October, which I think worked really well.

I agree with JohnerH - perhaps have a couple of small meets across the country this time and plan for a national event later on in the year.

May 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #63 of 90
I posted this as part of a post in the 2008 canjam forum, I think that it merits alteration and repetition in this topic.

Last years UK meet was good fun but there's certainly room to scale it larger even within the UK. A great many UK head-fiers didn't go who might have and 30 people should be easily doable. The problem is partly one of socially relative scaling. In America 100 years is a long time and in Britain 100 miles is a long way.

Everyone wants these sort of events to be their back garden but it simply isn't possible, and so you have to hold one in a population centre. Manchester was an excellent pick because its a population centre in itself but isn't as far south as the major centre which is London. Those from other English cities could relatively easily journey to Manchester (and lets remember that in the UK, England is the bulk of the population) which left IIRC, three of us coming down from Scotland, in Milkpowder's case, on the day itself via the train. London though probably is the best destination for the greatest number of people, even if it does cause headaches for those up us up here in the windy north.

A two-day event would also be an idea that I would embrace. 9-5 is 8 hours but that vanishes quickly indeed once you factor in set up times, pack up times and banter with everyone else. Especially if you've driven a long distance to be there. I want a meet length that's longer than my travel time if possible.

There are vendors based in Europe, and I'm sure that there are non-headphone companies who would be interested in having their products at an event of any significant size (We had a G08 from Meridian last year, but the whole company employee bringing it helped out no small amount).

But there's Sugden Audio, Precide, Sennhieser, AKG, Rega, NWA, Naim, Meier Audio and Goldring, all of whom are Europe based and make products for the headphone market. I've probably missed some too, probably 50 cable companies for a start.

And yes, regarding a Europe meet, if an event is in another country, you want it to be of a certain size before you'll take the time and trouble and expense to attend yourself. krmathis might want 30 people before he will go, but if another 15 head-fiers say the same thing, and then only 15 turn up, then what would be a 30 person meet has dissolved because of everyone interested operating on a you first-me after attendance philosophy. This is a tough nut to crack and getting vendors on board is a way of solving it, trouble is vendors don't want to turn up unless they know that there's going to be a certain attendance level for them to show their stuff off to. Didn't anyone order fries with that Catch-22?

People who have said the same thing in this thread are all quite correct when they say that there needs to be a proven enthusiasm and momentum behind this sort of thing before you can step it up to the next level. You can't just start the car in 5th, you'll stall and lurch and have to start again where you're supposed to. I'd like to be involved in getting the car up to speed but my geographical position fundamentally eliminates me from much of the planning process that would be necessary for any event. At least until the end of next academic year. I've no idea where I'll be after graduation, although Edinburgh is looking most likely at the minute.

I hugely support the idea of an annual UK meet, and hopefully we can get more behind it each time it takes place and as it grows, others from mainland Europe (and Ireland and Iceland) might deem it of enough significance to come too. I know that I've wanted to go down to a few of the meets that have taken place on the continent though for me its not a lack of enthusiasm, its a lack of money. I'd like to see another UK meet this year and I'd like to see it longer (two days, or a more extended 1 day) and I'd like to see it larger (more members bringing more gear of their own, more rigs, even without vendors, or with only a few, and ill bet you could get at least a few interested. Indeed, I'll bet a few mainland head-fiers would be interested too.

So yeah, the problems boil down to:

Geography (everyone wants the big meet near them). Well sorry, it doesn't work that way. IF you want a big meet, then the bulk of people are going to have to travel.

Organisation (some key person, who has to be in the area where the meet takes place, being the ringleader for putting it all together). I'd certainly try doing it myself, including trying to get vendors on board, but the fact is that a chunk of lets say 30 head-fiers do not want to travel all the way into scotland when the say 5 of us in Scotland can come down to England instead. Annual UK meets are going to have to start off in English cities, if they establish a good footholding in enthusiasm and attendance, then maybe we can rotate one to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The right person with enthusiasm in the right place is the factor. Everything else after that starts to slot into place. I think that the first half of November is a good time, its mid-semester for the uni students, far enough from exams and end of term deadlines and its between the October and December holiday periods.

May 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #65 of 90
Completely agree with Duggeh in several points,

Just one thing... It doesn't really have to boil down to just the one person...

Ever though of coming up with a committee? ie.: one could setup a group, have several people within that group and share responsibilities, in this case setting up meets.

The reason I bring this up is due to the fact that setting something up within a certain scale is always complicated, if for instance there was more then one person working on the organization of the meet, it would lighten the pressure on that organization of the meet as whole.

Now days, just because one doesn't live in said city/town doesn't mean we can't organize something remotely. (I've done that in the past for other social things)

I think that at the end of the day we need a bit of commitment from a certain number of parties to actually stand up and do it. Yes ideally there would be a person in the said city/town doing all the grunt work, but think of it this way, if there was group of people that -constantly- did it (after volunteering that is) then a year on year meet would become more plausible due to the commitment made by the "committee" to organize it.

I hope I made some sort of sense on this...

I apologize if this doesn't make sense, long day and writting posts after midnight is generally a bad idea
rolleyes.gif

J

(I should probably change the name of this thread)

May 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #66 of 90
Hmmmmmm.............
eek.gif

. . . o o 0 ( "The UK Headphone Society" )

cool.gif

J

May 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #67 of 90
Possibly a better idea to start a new thread for the next big UK meet, I'm with you on the committee idea, my point was more on the lines of needing a central figure, someone who has the veto, or is the go to figure, and it would be sensible for that person to be located in the area in which the meet is to take place, although as you say, its not a necessary prerequisite.

Count me in for any planing procedures. I'll do my bit and more. I'll do the whole damn thing out of my own pocket in fact, so long as someone comes up here and brutally murders my noisy neighbours. its the middle of revision season, ive got 4 days till my big exam and those ****s are raving like theyve just been to a crazy frog concert after eating a whole box of MDMA.

May 19, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #68 of 90
So has the idea of a Manchester meet round JohnerH's house died now? If we're welcome we could still have a little one in the next month or so. The official one will likely be a fair way away.

May 19, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #69 of 90
Not it hasn't... I'm still up for it, so it all depends on who's still interested...

As for the other idea, I'm going to start it up pretty soon, as soon as I get all the DIY out of the way
smily_headphones1.gif

J

May 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #70 of 90
This committee idea is sounding quite promising. Having regular (sponsored) meets is definately something that a lot of people would more likely be interested in.
It might be an idea too (once set in place) to sell tickets. This would be an ideal way to gauge the levels in interested members but would also pay for the costs of the room/hall/wherever we end up. The left over funds from this could either be donated to the site or if there was a shed load left maybe it could be put into a raffle.
Second thoughts. We could do a raffle seperate.

Am i getting a little too far ahead of myself here?

May 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #71 of 90
Just a ping to say I'm lurking and vaguely up for it (it's a bit of a trek, but you gotta make an effort once in a while eh
wink.gif
), just not too keen on the 4th as that's my birthday so I'm bound to be busy
smily_headphones1.gif
- urge to buy something is kicking in a bit and this time would be good to have a listen rather than go on reviews
tongue.gif
(anyone bringing a pair of those Denon's everybody seems to be talking about recently the AH-D2000/5000?)

Would bring to the table: Grado RS-1, modded TianYun Zero (DAC+headamp), a bunch of opamps if anybody's interested (metal-can OPA627s among others), Headroom Total Bithead, Shure e5c, Senn CX500 (and CX400 why not), and just for fun/since they're not all that common, a Pacemaker DJ mp3 mixer.

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #74 of 90
Long time no speak to you guys. Hope it has been a good year for all of you!

I have to say that I am quite interested in the idea of a meet. Although unfortunately I am unable to commit to a specific date yet.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #75 of 90
Indeed! (
wink.gif
) Long time no see/speak. I still don't know whether I can make it because of other commitments....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back