UK import duty - How/when Fedex charge you?
Feb 27, 2007 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Any UK buyers recently been hit with import duties on a delivery handled by Fedex?

Do they mark the package in any way or do you just wait for a possible invoice to drop unexpectedly through the postbox?

Anway to to tell whether they have assessed it or just delivered it duty free?

Steve

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there are any additional charges it should be payable on delivery, i.e you pay the deliveryman..

I'm asking UK members what actually happened with fedex for them with duty, not what 'should' happen. I think the days of paying at the door are dissappearing. The UK postal system will hold the package for you to collect on payment - our postman used to take cash but not nowadays.

So do Fedex mark the package so you know you'll have an invoice turning up?

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 18
My package wasn't marked with anything that I specifically noticed when it came through Fedex, I just received an invoice about 4 or 5 days later.
Anything interesting, Steve? :-D

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm asking UK members what actually happened with fedex for them with duty, not what 'should' happen. I think the days of paying at the door are dissappearing. The UK postal system will hold the package for you to collect on payment - our postman used to take cash but not nowadays.

Apologies
image.php
tongue.gif

According the post above, I guess it isn't what happens. I said 'should' because I distinctively remembered another English member stating he paid import tax at the door, but thinking back I believe it was with Royal Mail
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 18
UPS will ask for Cash on delivery (COD), i think these days they even take cards that can swipe through that machine they carry around with. Fed-Ex I think (at least a couple of years ago) will invoice you later, if you don't pay they'll blacklist your address, probably with all couriers.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My package wasn't marked with anything that I specifically noticed when it came through Fedex, I just received an invoice about 4 or 5 days later.
Anything interesting, Steve? :-D

Thanks, I was hoping it would be evident from the box whether I'd been lucky or will have to wait for the inevitable invoice.

Yes it's something interesting and I may even do the pics of the box before opening etc as it's head-fi related.

Watch this space!!

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apologies
image.php
tongue.gif

According the post above, I guess it isn't what happens. I said 'should' because I distinctively remembered another English member stating he paid import tax at the door, but thinking back I believe it was with Royal Mail
wink.gif

No problems, I hope the tone of my reply did not seem harsh, it was not intended to be.

Steve

PS I like the temporary use of my avatar - that's why I used it in the first place.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPS will ask for Cash on delivery (COD), i think these days they even take cards that can swipe through that machine they carry around with. Fed-Ex I think (at least a couple of years ago) will invoice you later, if you don't pay they'll blacklist your address, probably with all couriers.

With the amount of deliveries I get I think the other couriers would boycott Fedex rather than me!!

My postman comments more on when I don't get something from abroad. I guess avoiding the main courier companies has kept the overall charges down, and hence my lack of knowledge of how/what Fedex charge.

If possible I get the missus to write out a cheque and I settle up with her - though it does tend to raise her awareness of the cost of my latest gadget/toy.

Steve

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Watch this space!!

Yeah, right. We Head-Fiers are known for our patience!

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, right. We Head-Fiers are known for our patience!

Tell me about it. You can imagine what it was like for me knowing that my new

Stello DA100 had arrived this morning and that I'd have to wait all day and early evening till I got home to even plug it in. I was over cautious and opened it up to check that it was set to UK voltage, did not want it to go up in a puff of smoke
eek.gif

Gonna give it a few hours running in before I make any real judgement but it sounds OK straight from USB at the moment. Luckily it's just a switch to change connection so will try optical & coax later.

Steve

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 18
Another delivery. This time not so welcome, the Fedex invoice for vat & admin for £74
frown.gif
bring the cost for me to £484
eek.gif

Oh well. makes me wonder what the modded Russ Andrews one is like. That costs £599 and they don't give much detail on what they have changed.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Oh well. makes me wonder what the modded Russ Andrews one is like. That costs £599 and they don't give much detail on what they have changed.

An upgraded power supply and pretty much nothing else from the reviews and info I've managed to gather from the hi-fi press.

Sorry about the taxes and charges. Damned HRM Customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back