UK Head-Fi meet 2011. Thread closed: We now have a venue and a New Thread (see below)
Jan 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #91 of 236
Please add me to the list and if I can offer any help please let me know. I have voted in the preferred dates thread but any of the dates should be ok with me.

I'll probably bring along the following:

Imod ipod with ALO wooden V-Dock
Grado HF-2
iBasso P4
ACS T2 Customs

Hope to bring my laptop as a source
iBasso D4 with HiFlight's Top Kit
Should have the HRT Music Streamer II by the meet date

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #92 of 236

Quote:
Hi

Sorry but durham to manchester is 130 miles me been up the proper north!

So durham to london isnt going to happen...

Please remove the roksan kandy cd/millet max and kumisa headphone amps from the list..

Cheers

P.S A UK meet to me would at least be in the middle of england...just imagine living in scotland
 maybe call it a london meet?

long time no see, hows you?

anyway as for london being terrible to get to, actually its not.  getting to london is actually pretty easy particularly if you fly.  not that i dont have a general resentment about things being london centric.  there is a reason i dont live there.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #93 of 236
Having made the trip from Durham to London several times (on the train) I would say that the difficultly is in the cost (usually £50-65 return) rather than the journey, which is less than 3 hours. How much cheaper is it to fly and how does that impact carrying equipment?

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #94 of 236
As there will be plenty of notice of the final date before the event it is possible you'll be able to find super saver tickets.

For instance, if I visit my parents on the south coast from London it costs me £23 return on so on the day, but I have got a ticket as cheap as £4.50 return buying a few weeks in advance.

Doing it that way does limit you to having to be on exactly the trains you say you will, but you can save a lot of money.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #97 of 236
Will be great to have you there vkvedam. Big fan of necosoundlabs stuff, used to own a V2 portable and it really was an exceptionally good little amp, amazing value for the price.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #98 of 236
oo 1st post for me 
dt880smile.png
  add me to list please.  SE based. Have the new Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable amp I can bring along.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #100 of 236

Quote:
I don't recognise that connector on the front of the SR-71B - can it drive balanced headphones that are terminated to 3-pin XLRs via an adaptor?

Quote:
Have the new Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable amp I can bring along.

Yes. Not many people doing the adaptors ATM though apart from DIY. We're going to be getting some cables from Whiplash to try out at the meet. I'll ask Craig for such an adaptor so we can try em out :)

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #102 of 236
As an aside, I do think if portable balanced ever takes off it will be the TRRS method Hifiman have started putting out there (no amp yet for it afaik) or maybe dual TRS will be the format that's embraced.

All these chunky small xlr models as used by RSA and iBasso are heavy, expensive, over sized and also do not rotate inside the socket which you'd imagine would make the sockets easier to break if the connector took a knock. I think they are the betamax of the future.

TRRS is a solution I can see catching on, it's familiar, lightweight, cheap and durable.

Think the various small XLR will be a flash in the pan, if the whole of balananced portable isn't.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #103 of 236
@Parrots, Yeah I couldn't wait.  Fairly new to better headphone audio but when I saw Ray's new release plus discount I jumped in with both feet.  
smily_headphones1.gif
 slight word of warning battery life has been a bit disappointing.

@Bizzel I have seen the connection as a alternative balanced re-wire but haven't looked for 3-pin XLR adapter yet, something definitely needed for the meet :wink:.  

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #104 of 236
 I will need to do a full charge/discharge run to confirm hours but if it gives more than 10hrs I would be surprised.  8 is probably it's limit at medium gain using a LOD from a ipod.

I fell asleep with music off but amp on and amp was out of juice in the morning.  That was only 5 hrs but I had used it for a few hours the night previous.  So like i said I need to confirm.

Since I do the UK-LA flight couple times a year it is something of a detractor that I cannot replace batteries.  

Maybe just me expecting to much time wise from it.  Still a fantastic bit of kit.

oh and btw I found Moon and Whiplash both offering the adapters for the balanced output.  Moon has a interesting setup think i found the pic's and pricing having done a Protector interconnects search on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back