UK Head-Fi meet 2011. Thread closed: We now have a venue and a New Thread (see below)
Jan 22, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #122 of 236
I have just taken delivery of a Wireworld Supernova 6 Toslink-to-3.5mm mini-jack optical lead, which I'm sure some folks who are bringing Macs with optical mini-jack ports will be interested in trying.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #123 of 236
I would suggest a small fee for plus-ones, perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of the usual price?

Quote:
@hardtarget666
Check back to page 5 and 6 of this thread. The issue was briefly discussed, but no firm decision made.

This is something we need to decide upon so further comments would be appreciated.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #125 of 236

Quote:
I would suggest a small fee for plus-ones, perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of the usual price?

Quote:
@hardtarget666
Check back to page 5 and 6 of this thread. The issue was briefly discussed, but no firm decision made.

This is something we need to decide upon so further comments would be appreciated.

I don't mind the fee but an early decision on this will be greatly appreciated.

BTW I will be bringing the following gear:

HD650's with Zynsonix Xev Balanced Cable (4pin XLR)
Earsonics SM3's
AudioGD NFB-10ES (have some issues with the coax out at the moment but should hopefully be sorted by that time)
Graham Slee Voyager portable Amp
5.5G iMod 80GB with ALO 18g SXC LOD

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #127 of 236
I would like the option to bring friends and +1s. I think I was the person who suggested it initially, but I'm just posting again to count my vote.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #128 of 236
Potential attendees and kit list update (hopefully I got it right this time!):

Attendees
alvin sawdust
Binkobonko
Bizzel
EddiE
Germs
hardtarget666
imademymark
JoetheArachnid
jr41
mark2410
MrQ
Musicdiddy
MusiCol
Nuwidol
Parrots
paulb09
Severanth
vkvedam
Zenpunk
zychan1

Kit

Source
5.5G iMod 80GB with ALO 18g SXC LOD
Cambridge Audio 740C
Edirol R-09
Imod ipod with ALO wooden V-Dock
iPod Classic (New Generation)
ipod touch 4G + Onkyo NSD1
Laptop
Macbook
Macbook Air
MacBook Pro
MacBook Pro 17" Optical
Onkyo ND-S1
Sony D-EJ785/715 Optical
Squeezebox v3 (Classic)

DAC
AMB gamma1
Apogee Duet
Benchmark DAC1
Cary Xciter Dac
db audiolabs Tranquility usb dac
Fiio E9
Little Dot DAC_I
Meier Stagedac
Nuforce UDAC II

Amplification
ALO RX mk1
AudioGD NFB-10ES
Chiara K2100
Creative DD/DTS DAC
Darkvoice 336SE
Darkvoice 337SE
Decware Zen Mini Tori
Fiio E7
Graham Slee Solo SRG
Graham Slee Voyager
Headamp Pico Slim
HiFiDIY.net Panda
iBasso D10
iBasso D10
iBasso D4
iBasso P4
iBasso PB2
Little Dot MK I
Little Dot MK IV SE
Meier Audio CORDA STEPDANCE
Meier Concerto
Neco V2
Oatley K272A
Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B
Ray Samuels SR-71b
SPL Phonitor

Headphone
ACS T1 Customs
ACS T2 Customs
AKG K270 Playback
AKG K518LE
AKG K601
AKG K702
Alessandro MS1000
Beats tour control talk
Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms
Beyerdynamic ET1000
Beyerdynamic T1
Custom IEM cables
Denon AH-A100
Denon ah-c751
Denon D7000
Earsonic SM3
Earsonics SM3
Fischer Audio FA-003
Fostex T50RP (Modded)
Grado HF-2
Grado SR225i
Hifiman HE-6
HiFiMan RE-ZERO
Jecklin Float Model Two
JH13 Pro
JH16 Pro
JVC FX500
Klipsch Custom 3
Klipsch Image x10i
Miles Davis tribute
Sennheiser 650 (Zynsonix Xev Balanced re-cable)
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
Sennheiser HD 595
Sennheiser HD 600
Sennheiser HD 650
Sennheiser HD 650 (APS re-cable)
Sennheiser HD 650 (SAA Endorphin re-cable)
Sennheiser HD800 (Whiplash V2 Recabled)
Sennheiser IE8
Shure SRH-840
Sony mdr-xb700
Stax 2050A
Stax SR-303
Superlux HD681
TF10
Triple Fi 10
Turbine coppers
Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10
Ultrasone HFI 780
Ultrasone Pro 900
Westone 3
Westone 3
Westone ES5 (ordered)
Westone UM3X
Yamaha HP-1

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #130 of 236
Many thanks to jr41 for the regularly updated attendance and kit list. I have just copied and pasted it into the first post to keep that up-to-date and as enticing as possible to passing viewers! As soon as we get a bit of warmer dry weather so my arthritis loosens its grip I'll give that first post a thorough edit to take into account how far we've come.

On the subject of +1's, I'm in favour, especially as I'm hoping to get transport with a friend who I've been successfully "grooming" into the world of head-fi!

I can't remember who suggested the idea but I think name badges are a very good idea and I suggest that for everyone who wants to bring a friend / relative we make up 2 badges - 1 for the Head-fi member and 1 for their guest - and both badges would have the username of the Head-Fi member to maintain a clear ID for everyone attending the event. Whatever type of ID we use, I think it must be quite prominent with a clear Head-Fi username. We don't all know each other by sight, so I think another good idea was having attendance limited to those who joined Head-Fi before the start of this thread. It's slightly cynical which I don't like, but as I said at the very start, we can't have any risk of gear leaving the room in anonymous hands, so I think prominent name / username badges are a great idea.

We've also briefly discussed the idea of having a program for everyone to be given when they arrive. This would have a list of all the gear, maybe one person who's exhibiting their gear with it listed per page with room for people to write their impressions on. What do you think?

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #131 of 236
I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this, are we assuming that members who joined before the thread was created are somehow more trustworthy? Even if that held I don't see any harm in new members coming along so long as clear name badges are provided. I think whatever we do we'll need to have a few people keeping an eye on the gear. 

Quote:
We don't all know each other by sight, so I think another good idea was having attendance limited to those who joined Head-Fi before the start of this thread.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #133 of 236
Hey guys, you're getting ahead of us here - there's no firm decision on attendance yet - all I said was that it seemed like a good idea and that I wanted to know what everyones thoughts are about that idea. It was one of the rules used at a previous meet, and we need to start discussing more factors relating to the event here - that's why I mentioned it. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
redface.gif

@Parrots, please don't feel excluded! You are a prime example of how unfair that system can be. Perhaps an alternative solution would be for attendees to bring a formal photo ID such as their passport which can be exchanged for your name badge on arrival, and swapped back when you want to leave the venue. I would much rather use a system like that. The last thing anybody wants is to have good, contributing members unfairly excluded.

What do you all think about this thorny issue, and what sort of safety measures could be taken to keep entrance - and exit! - as fair and as secure as possible while allowing people like Parrots to attend?

Incidentally, just so it's absolutely clear:- Although there are occasions when executive decisions must be made, we really want the decision-making process to be as transparent and inclusive as possible. So, instead of the 4 "committee members" making all the decisions privately, this thread is where we want everyone to debate and help make as many of the decisions as possible. So, in that theme, I would like to ask (again!) for everyone to post suggestions and debate the issues here please
wink.gif

I hope that cleared up any confusion and made everyone feel welcome.
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #134 of 236
I am hoping to attend. My face is on my avatar and I will have ID like driving licence too. Please include me. I can only add to the list Sony MDR-XB700s - my other and better stuff is already on the list.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #135 of 236
I'd also like to throw my weight behind the idea of swapping some ID for a name badge. So long as the person who keeps hold of the IDs is trustworthy it'd be a good step to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back