UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April)
Feb 10, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #301 of 981
Hi all - I was the lucky winner of the Koss SP330's and was asked to write a few words about them so here goes!

Other cans owned - Hifiman 400i, Mad Dog Pro's, Senn Amperior, Sony Eggo MDR-D66, AKG K51BLE, Senn HD201.  I used my HTC One M8 (only) as source as these are clearly meant for portable use and really only compared them against the Amperiors, Egggos and AKG's as well. 

Build/Style/Fit - Much stronger then you would assume with small size.  Metal hinges and solid robust feel.  Ear cubs turn 90 degrees to fit into portable case that comes with them making them very portable, though case is larger than it needs to be.  3.5mm Detachable cord which is always a good thing (though cord that came with it is a bit flimsy feeling, easily rectified my V-moda cord which fits perfectly).  Fit is a bit unusual for on-ear as the leather cups with memory foam and indent into your ear.  Hard to explain but quite different than amperiors or other on-ears which typically circle surrounding the ear passage, whilst still on the ear.  Unless you have very unusual head size they should fit fine but need to fiddle a bit to get them in the right spot.  The speaker sits right next to ear so it's obvious if you need to adjust and they are comfortable for a few hours for sure (more so than other on-ears I have).

Sound - Mostly Neutral with slightly increased mids and not as good soundstage as other cans as the speakers sit so close to ears.  Bass was is good, but not bloated and highs clear.  Really a good all rounder but disposed itself more to Electronic genres over guitar genres, though certainly not poor in any (inc classical).  That said I am more disposed to electronic genre's so take that with salt.  My Amperiors I prefer in every way in sound, but Koss's were better then the Eggos or AKG's in every way.  Good, but not loud volume reached on my phone and these do not leak badly at all (the speakers going right into ear helps here).

You get what you pay for and these are priced correctly in my opinion (£95 in UK on Amazon).  If looking for good all round portable on ear at this price range consider these for sure. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #302 of 981
I'll be able to attend the meet now due to my weekend working being rescheduled  
cool.gif

Can bring:

Benchmark DAC1 hooked up to PC via M2Tech Hiface2
HD800 with Cardas S/E cable
Lehmann BCL and Van Den Hul First Ultimate I/C's
Ety ER4P/S
Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10

Will there be plenty of room for everyone to set up at the venue and what sort of time should I look to arrive?

Was going to do the Travelodge on Friday night but may just come up on the morning itself.

Cheers,
Mark

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #303 of 981
There should be room for everybody as the hall is spacious and there are plenty of tables and chairs.
Please arrive at 10:00 for general admittance.

Cheers,
Andy.

I'll be able to attend the meet now due to my weekend working being rescheduled  :cool:

Can bring:

Benchmark DAC1 hooked up to PC via M2Tech Hiface2
HD800 with Cardas S/E cable
Lehmann BCL and Van Den Hul First Ultimate I/C's
Ety ER4P/S
Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10

Will there be plenty of room for everyone to set up at the venue and what sort of time should I look to arrive?

Was going to do the Travelodge on Friday night but may just come up on the morning itself.

Cheers,
Mark

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #304 of 981

Thanks Andy for the clarification.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #305 of 981
Hi all.  I'll shortly be announcing details of a selection of very interesting after-market modified headphones from a new modder on the scene who will soon be making his services available to all.  His work so far is receiving excellent feedback & I for one am very keen to hear what he can do. Stay tuned!

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #306 of 981
Re wifi, if we have good phone reception we have other options as well.  I have a good 4G data plan so if the reception is good some of us at least can use that as a wifi hotspot.  If not we will still have BT but hopefully the phone signal there is good and we can save some money.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #307 of 981
To be safe, I'd personally make every effort to have offline copies of any music you definitely want available. The BT roaming wifi services and 4G coverage from EE/Vodafone aren't the most reliable of things in my experience.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #310 of 981
Hmm - Only space to take one headphone with me - toying with taking the Sony SA5000 rather than the Denon D7100... - found some real love for the SA5K out of the Hugo...

Haha, that - or just buy a bigger backpack :wink:

Don't worry, I will most likely have my SA5K on hand on that day anyway.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #315 of 981

Well, I haven't tried Qobuz yet, but of course I like Tidal for the lossless streaming and I'm happy to support them for that reason alone..for now.  At the risk of taking the thread a little off topic, how do you like Qobuz?

Comparing it to spotify, which in my opinion is the perfect service if not for the low quality service.

- 9.5/10 of the tracks that i find on spotify. 
- Web app is a little buggy 
- Search results/engine are basic
- Lacks any real tailored music discovering experience besides "qobuz reccomends" which as far as i can tell is generic. 
- Has "Offline library" but I think will only play at 320kbps MP3, which IMO defeats the purpose.
- Android app works but again, search is basic.

As it stands i dont think ill re-sub as most of the time I use music streaming is when im at work or out and about when 3G isnt always enough for FLAC and swapping didnt seem that fluid, plus i use IEMs and a phone while sometimes only having 1 ear in so often wont notice the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back