Uh...so how do you replace the Sennheiser HD 600 headband?
Apr 14, 2009 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm too grumpy to repeat the backstory, but I now have a replacement headband from Sennheiser, and now I face the task of swapping out the cracked headband with this new one.

Problem is, I can tell by now that they aren't meant to be pulled out by force. Looks like I have to separate the cups holding the drivers to gain access, but I really don't know, and I don't want to risk these perfect headphones over a dumb plastic headband to find out the hard way.

Ugh, so frustrated. Can anybody (with personal experience
tongue.gif
) help me out here?

Thanks.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 21
Hey mule, there's 2 clips at the end of the headband (inside, 1 on left, 1 on right). Rectangular ones, plastic (black). If you pop them off, you can just slide the cups_with_their_metal_leg_frame off, and also the headband cushion.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey mule, there's 2 clips at the end of the headband (inside, 1 on left, 1 on right). Rectangular ones, plastic (black). If you pop them off, you can just slide the cups_with_their_metal_leg_frame off, and also the headband cushion.

I hear you, but it's the "popping off" that I'm afraid of; they keep to be holding onto the drivers pretty hard, and I would be beyond angry if it scratched up the HD 600 as I was yanking it out of the cavities.

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

^ Go figure, it shows how to take off everything except the headband.
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The clips are the pieces that are stamped "made in ireland." Pry them off with a small tool such as an eyeglass screwdriver.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clips are the pieces that are stamped "made in ireland." Pry them off with a small tool such as an eyeglass screwdriver.

Oh, I was referring to the first half of what's holding the driver housing in place. So I don't need to worry about that part, but instead focus on taking off the "Made in Ireland" pieces?

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear you, but it's the "popping off" that I'm afraid of; they keep to be holding onto the drivers pretty hard, and I would be beyond angry if it scratched up the HD 600 as I was yanking it out of the cavities.

APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

^ Go figure, it shows how to take off everything except the headband.
frown.gif

Don't take the driver assembly apart. All you have to do is remove the "made in Ireland" clips. There is nothing to break.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Oh, I was referring to the first half of what's holding the driver housing in place. So I don't need to worry about that part, but instead focus on taking off the "Made in Ireland" pieces?

yup. just remove those and everything slides out of the headband.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Don't take the driver assembly apart. All you have to do is remove the "made in Ireland" clips. There is nothing to break.

Okay, I think I understand. I'm in a rush right now, and I don't want that to ruin my focus.

I'm assuming I go for it by entering it from the top, and pushing outwards? The curvature of the headband inside doesn't leave much room for optimal leverage.
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Okay, I think I understand. I'm in a rush right now, and I don't want that to ruin my focus.

I'm assuming I go for it by entering it from the top, and pushing outwards? The curvature of the headband inside doesn't leave much room for optimal leverage.
frown.gif

place your tool between the clip and the flat metal piece that attaches to the hangar. you can use a small screwdriver or even a butter knife. gently pry it off. It shouldn't take much force. Be careful not to scratch the metal piece.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

place your tool between the clip and the flat metal piece that attaches to the hangar. you can use a small screwdriver or even a butter knife. gently pry it off. It shouldn't take much force. Be careful not to scratch the metal piece.

Holy crud; I'm just lightly pushing the plastic "Made in Ireland" piece, and it's already turning white from the pressure!
frown.gif

I'm too scared to go any further, even with the fact that I have two spares of those things on the replacement headband.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Holy crud; I'm just lightly pushing the plastic "Made in Ireland" piece, and it's already turning white from the pressure!
frown.gif

I'm too scared to go any further, even with the fact that I have two spares of those things on the replacement headband.

OK. Make sure to pry at the edge and not the middle. I just tried with a butter knife..insert between the metal (not the side with the handband pad) and the clip...mine comes right off.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

OK. Make sure to pry at the edge and not the middle. I just tried with a butter knife..insert between the metal (not the side with the handband pad) and the clip...mine comes right off.

So now I extended the driver enclosure away from the headband as far as possible, and now I'm trying to pry it open underneath the "Made in Ireland" tab. Is that the right way? Because I'm giving it a fair amount of pressure, and it's still not yielding.

I'm really going to give the seller a rant for putting me through this.
mad.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

So now I extended the driver enclosure away from the headband as far as possible, and now I'm trying to pry it open underneath the "Made in Ireland" tab. Is that the right way? Because I'm giving it a fair amount of pressure, and it's still not yielding.

I'm really going to give the seller a rant for putting me through this.
mad.gif

The clips on the plastic piece are located at the ends next to the M and next to the D. You need to pry so that one end is pulled up and the clip comes out. It shouldn't be that tight.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 21
Great selfish news; I finally got them off, and am now listening to some great jazz through these as I type.

Many thanks to LostOne.TR for the solution, and to Canman for the detailed explanation of aforementioned solution!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 21
oops. meant to check on this, but got side tracked. Sorry for not replying back earlier, I'd meant to come back with MS Paint + a pic of the senns to explain. I don't actually have senns with me anymore, so I didn't have the exact descriptions in location.

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back