UFC Discussion
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #556 of 584
Yeah, that money disparity can't last forever. And if the source of new money is outside the UFC, I see a lot of fighters moving around at some point.

That's why I think we should enjoy all the great matchups we see today. Someday this will be like boxing, where people protect their record, avoid big fights, and the best matchups aren't made or delayed because of all the different promoters/organizations.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #557 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In UFC system to make money its all about making a name and fan base with exciting fights not all about winning.
Liddell made 500K in loss to Evans who made only 120k

Some fighters are very low on pay scale

Fighter payouts

Dana White thinks the Lesnar vs Couture fight could draw 1 million PPV customers

It can't be all about winning, but the success of the company relies on drawing fan money. Chuck Liddell will sell a PPV on name alone, Rashad Evans wouldn't. Maybe somewhere down the road he will, and he will enjoy the same money Liddell does now. In a perfect world ability would dictate, but it's far from perfect ain't it? Kimbo Slice likely earns more than 90% of MMA fighters, how sad is that?

I believe Dana White might be right. This PPV is going to be huge. He'd better hope nobody gets hurt in the next 2 months.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #558 of 584
Look at the Fedor vs Sylvia fight. Fedor got paid like $300k while Tim Sylvia got paid $900k. It's all about your exposure.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #559 of 584
Quote:

In UFC system to make money its all about making a name and fan base with exciting fights not all about winning.
Liddell made 500K in loss to Evans who made only 120k

Some fighters are very low on pay scale

Fighter payouts

Dana White thinks the Lesnar vs Couture fight could draw 1 million PPV customers

Another way to to look at these numbers, Liddell got 500K in loss and three biggest winners combined don't equal that!

Henderson 250K
Evans 120K
Franklin 100K

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #561 of 584
Quote:

Another way to to look at these numbers, Liddell got 500K in loss and three biggest winners combined don't equal that!

Henderson 250K
Evans 120K
Franklin 100K

It is most likely because they concsiter Liddell a huge draw, had he won he would of been paid double the amount. Other factors in pay that are factored in later for some fighters is the additional pay they get from PPV buys.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #562 of 584
Couture vs Lesnar
I hope Randy is not looking past this fight.
I was reading where Couture got a 3 fight UFC deal, Lesnar is first up and hopefully Fedor match will get done as one of remaing fights......at least that was his impression after talikng to Dana White and getting back in UFC. He almost talks like this fight is just a stepping stone waiting for Fedor

However as we know Leasnar can take any fighter down to the mat at will in UFC or any other league, someday he may learn how to inflict serious damage once his opponent is down. Perhaps Brock can learn quickly in next few months so Randy beware.......

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #563 of 584
I think Fedor would beat Couture. I saw Fedor for the first time against Sylvia, and have since gone back and seen his other fights. He really lives up to the hype.

If Lesnar does beat Couture, I'd be fascinated by a Fedor/Lesnar matchup.

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #564 of 584
Am I the only one that doesn't care about Brock Lesnar in MMA? He is such a boring fighter. I actually fell asleep watching that fight against Herring. He displays virtually no technique. His fights are just demonstrations of brute strength. Yawn.

Give me Fedor/Couture, Fedor/Arlovski, Fedor/Barnett, Couture/Arlovski, Couture/Nogueira, and Couture/Barnett II.

Couture/Lesnar is such a waste of a fight. Couture only has 3 fights left in him and they're just wasting one of them. I know it's for the money and it will draw interest from casual fans/pro wrestling entertainment fans. I just don't care. Ideally, Randy's last 3 fights should be against Fedor, Nogueira, and Arlovski. They, along with Tim Sylvia (who Randy has already faced), have been the best heavyweights in the sport's history thus far.

If Brock beats Couture, it won't happen because he's a superior fighter. For one, he is just a much larger man than Couture is. But mostly it will be because MMA has the "anything can happen" element more than any other combat sport. This is due to the variety of different attacks, the use of barely there 4 oz. gloves, and the flawed-for-MMA 10-point must system used by the UFC.

If Couture ends up losing, that would really sour a superfight between him and Fedor. I know Couture and Fedor (and the hardcore fans) really want that fight to happen, but the UFC just doesn't need it. They will most likely make more money with this fight between Couture and Lesnar so they don't even have to pursue Fedor's services.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #565 of 584
Oct 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #567 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank996 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from how you feel about chix competing in MMA. Does anyone think that Gina Carano is the hottest thing ever?

Why don't they get the real best woman in MMA to fight for Elite XC - Tara LaRosa, she would easily beat Gina with her ground game and submissions

Don't forget tonight on CBS TV:
Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock

Also Andre Arlovski was added to the TV card going up against IFL heavyweight Roy "big country" Nelson
(if Shamrock looses then we could see Kimbo Slice vs Arlovski)

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #568 of 584
I dont like Ken Shamrock so Im rooting for Kimbo. Hopefully he's been working on his cardio.

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #569 of 584
Quote:

Why don't they get the real best woman in MMA to fight for Elite XC - Tara LaRosa, she would easily beat Gina with her ground game and submissions

Don't forget tonight on CBS TV:
Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock

Also Andre Arlovski was added to the TV card going up against IFL heavyweight Roy "big country" Nelson
(if Shamrock looses then we could see Kimbo Slice vs Arlovski)

doesnt look like shamrock is fighting...and kimbo hasnt agreed to fight whatever replacement

Exclusive: Shamrock Injured, Tonight's Main Event In Jeopardy - MMARated.com

MMARated.com has learned from several very reliable sources that Ken Shamrock sustained a cut above his eye in the last 24 hours while training and WILL NOT be fighting in tonight's main event bout against Kimbo Slice.

EliteXC officials are scrambling to find a last minute replacement for Shamrock. Amazingly, we have heard that Shamrock's brother, Frank, who is calling the event for CBS, offered to step in at the last minute but is ultimately not fighting. EliteXC has offered Slice a last-minute replacement in the form of Seth Petruzelli. Petruzelli was scheduled to fight Aaron Rosa tonight.

As of right now, Kimbo has yet to officially accept the fight.

More as we hear it.

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #570 of 584
What
Shamrock gets injured 24hrs before the fight...........what a joke!

I say make main event Andre Arlovski vs Kimbo Slice and give the fans a real fight

Good thing this wasn't PPV event, everyone would want thier money back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back