UFC Discussion
Dec 31, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 584

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
UFC 66 results are in:

Liddell vs Ortiz
Huntington Beach Bad Boy goes down again to Liddell 3rd round TKO which was not too surprising, only way Liddell would have lost is if Ortiz could turn match into ground game and ground/pound him into submission.

Wonder if they got over 1 million PPV? Sold out MGM Grand with 15K+ seating.

Jardine vs Griffith
Jardine quietly moving up the ranks taking out Forest Griffin

Andrei Arlovski Vs. Marcio Cruz
Arlovski wins again

Jason MacDonald Vs. Chris Leben
MacDonald wins again, very impressive submission fighter with many great moves on the ground to get submissions, great technical skills.

UFC 67: ALL OR NOTHING
MIRKO “CRO COP” AND QUINTON “RAMPAGE” JACKSON TO MAKE UFC® DEBUT

Dana White doing great job expanding rooster of fighters getting some top Pride fighters to appear...........Liddell will not want to be fighting Quinton Jackson anytime soon after the beat down he was given, he he

Great deep fight card with many good matches including:
GSP vs Matt Serra
Anderson Silva vs Travis Lutter

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason MacDonald Vs. Chris Leben
MacDonald wins again, very impressive submission fighter with many great moves on the ground to get submissions, great technical skills.

This was my personal favourite match of the night. What an excellent, perfectly executed choke hold.

Nice to see Liddell win again too. I'm not a huge fan of Ortiz, but he handled his loss with class... and I definitely think we'll end up seeing a part three.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 584
I didnt think there was much of any good fights last night IMO

The Jardine vs Griffith fight was the best IMO, and could of gone longer, if somehow Griffith got out after those punches, but its tough not to call it, when he is getting raped like that

I was rooting for Ortiz, but he shat the bed. Chuck was toying with him as well.

McDonald disappointed me, based on THREE leg kicks, that got grabbed. But it showed how weak his opponent was. If you grab someone's leg, as good as he did, you should be able to destroy him.

I think the next card looks very very good. St.Pierre, just because I am Canadian, so that should be nice. Cro Cop could be a real force, if he pans out. And that dude with the chains, makes his debut

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 584
couple of really good fights, arlovski pretty much dominated his fight, you could see that quick shot after the stoppage coming a mile away

forrest v jardine ended pretty much how i thought it would, first round with someone getting KO'd, i thought that one was pretty even till jardine hurt griffith, and forest has nothing to be ashamed off, everyone gets hit with a good shot once in a while, could have just as quickly gone the other way

chuck and tito was a solid fight, chuck had controll the whole time, and its nice to see tito admit that he was 100% and fought a solid fight, and chuck's was just the better fighter

and as exciting as leben is to watch, he just gassed in that fight, macdonald did a great job of weathering the storm and taking advantage of his worn out opponent, no way leben could have gotten out of that submission

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 584
IIRC, in addition to Crocop and Rampage, Heath Herring has also joined UFC.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 584
i thought his name was forrest griffon?

anyway...the ortiz liddell fight was good, but the end result was not surprising. chuck's take-down defense is pretty solid and he's absolutely insane as a striker. i was rooting for ortiz just because he was the under-dog. at the end of the fight i felt really bad when tito said "i tried..." with a "what more do you guys want from me?" look on his face.

i've only been getting into UFC over the past couple months. so far my favourite fighter is BJ Penn...can't wait to see his next fight.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 584
The ufc desperately needs to match Liddel with a STRIKER for once. I love the fresh blood they are bringing in though.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 584
Last night was a mixed martial arts extravaganza. UFC 66, Pride Shockwave 2006, and K-1 Dynamite all within 24 hours.

Here were my predictions the day before the UFC.

The CroCop "introduction" was the crappiest, most anti-climactic thing I've ever seen. No pictures or footage of the biggest acquisition in the UFC's history. I know they couldn't show his Pride fights or K-1, but they should've at least showed him training or something. All they did was show his name on a Croatian flag. Woohoo.

None of the televised fights were wars, but they were still entertaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arlovski pretty much dominated his fight, you could see that quick shot after the stoppage coming a mile away

Although I think Arlovski would have won eventually, the way that fight ended was kind of messy. If Herb Dean thought Arlovski made an illegal strike on the ground, he needed to separate the fighters immediately or not have stepped in at all. That pause in action allowed Arlovski to measure a devastating blow right to Pe de Pano's face as soon as Dean resumed action. That was not right. Dean did a similar thing at Pride 32 when he went to remove Travis Galbraith's hands from the ropes, and as soon as he did, Nak kneed Travis in the face. Big John would not make these kind of mistakes.

Liddell/Ortiz went pretty much the same way as their first fight. I don't see the need for a 3rd match since the first two victories have been so convincing. As for Rampage, I think Chuck takes it this time. He is much improved since their match in that Pride MW Grand Prix. After that fight, there will be nothing left for him in the UFC's 205 division. Dana White will have to figure out a way to make the Wand fight happen, or Chuck will have to move up to HW. I'm not really interested in seeing him fight the TUF alumns like Forrest, Jardine, or Rashad Evans. If he ends his hall of fame career facing guys like that, I'm going to be disappointed.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was my personal favourite match of the night. What an excellent, perfectly executed choke hold.

MacDonald's body triangle with guillotine choke on Leben was impressive. But if you thought that was good, take a look at this from last night's Shockwave event. Submission of the year!
eek.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night was a mixed martial arts extravaganza. UFC 66, Pride Shockwave 2006, and K-1 Dynamite all within 24 hours.

Here were my predictions the day before the UFC.

Borat you are true MMA junkie if you saw all three of those events
k1000smile.gif

If Rampage wins a couple UFC matches you know people will want the rematch
Liddell vs Quinton "rampage" Jackson

Even if Liddell is better fighter now than when he got his clock cleaned and embarassed in original Pride match with Rampage, he would have to be a whole lot better and Rampage diminished in skills to make a different outcome.
Dana White looked like a fool hyping up Liddell in announce booth before Pride match, then had to eat crow as the UFC star was dismantled and threw in white towel

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Borat you are true MMA junkie if you saw all three of those events
k1000smile.gif

If Rampage wins a couple UFC matches you know people will want the rematch
Liddell vs Quinton "rampage" Jackson

Even if Liddell is better fighter now than when he got his clock cleaned and embarassed in original Pride match with Rampage, he would have to be a whole lot better and Rampage diminished in skills to make a different outcome.
Dana White looked like a fool hyping up Liddell in announce booth before Pride match, then had to eat crow as the UFC star was dismantled and threw in white towel

wasnt that in a tourney where liddlell had already fought? i cant recall...

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 584
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wasnt that in a tourney where liddlell had already fought? i cant recall...

He fought Alistair Overeem two months earlier to advance to the semi-finals. Quinton was his first match that night at Final Conflict. If Liddell would have won, then he would've fought Wand in the finals that same night. Instead Quinton was the one who was victimized later on that night.
wink.gif

I think it's obvious Liddell has improved since then. The way he moves around the cage now is very good. It should be competitive, but I think Chuck beats Rampage this time around. And if Chuck fought Wand today, I think with his recent showings he would probably be the favorite.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 584
I enjoyed the Liddel-Ortiz matchup. Liddel is just too strong for Ortiz...if they have a third match, it should be like Ortiz-Shamrock 3, on T.V. for free. It's a clear mismatch now, no question.

Arlovski won, but he wasn't impressive or clearly dominating until he took that legitimate shot at his opponent. Jury's still out on his return to form for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back